Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SLU - Summer of 2010

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
    I think Joe was implying Clarkson screwed up by not taking McKenzie. However, from what I understand Mike visited SLU the same weekend he went to Clarkson and his mind was made up anyway that SLU is where he wanted to go.
    To be technically correct.......read Bob M's book or refer to Mike's interview after he scored the game winning goal against BU in the Dartmouth tournament and then got interviewed on TV........he was asked the question why he chose SLU??? Mike very candidly answered something to the effect that........"SLU was the ONLY school to offer him a scholarship!!"

Had a great time at the Boosters Golf Tournament this weekend. Thanks to everyone involved for a great and fun day!!! As always a good time was had by all!!!
    SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
      To be technically correct.......read Bob M's book or refer to Mike's interview after he scored the game winning goal against BU in the Dartmouth tournament and then got interviewed on TV........he was asked the question why he chose SLU??? Mike very candidly answered something to the effect that........"SLU was the ONLY school to offer him a scholarship!!"

Had a great time at the Boosters Golf Tournament this weekend. Thanks to everyone involved for a great and fun day!!! As always a good time was had by all!!!
      Ditto from here. The event was very well organized and all had a great time. It was great to see everybody and to meet some new people (e.g., T.J. Trevelyan's parents, who are tremendous and friendly people).

One thing I learned was that a lot more people knew me by "Muskieman" than by my real name. This Thread/Forum is obviously read by many, many people.

Thank you to all - I had an awesome time because it was spent with tremendous people and friends. I'm one very lucky guy.
      Last edited by Muskieman; 09-19-2010, 01:00 PM. Reason: typo
      GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
        Ditto from here. The event was very well organized and all had a great time. It was great to see everybody and to meet some new people (e.g., T.J. Trevelyan's parents, who are tremendous and friendly people).

One thing I learned was that a lot more people knew me by "Muskieman" than by my real name. This Thread/Forum is obviously read by many, many people.

Thank you to all - I had an awesome time because it was spent with tremendous people and friends. I'm one very lucky guy.
        And Mike forgot to mention that the foursome he was in won again. We need to split this dynasty up.
        GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post

Yeah, I read and enjoyed the book. Clarkson had him up there though and then cooled on him but I strongly suspect that is because he made his feeling known about where he wanted to go. One of the other parents mentioned in the book talked about that when we were at Wisconsin and he said that he visited both on the same visit and was 100% sold on SLU after that visit. It worked out well.

Glad everyone had fun at the golf tourney. I wish I had known that Tom and Susan Trevelyan were going to be there...I miss seeing them on the road!
          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

I am not so sure clarkson didn't offer mike. His dad has said that clarkson did something when mike was at slu that they didn't do and that wAs win a championship. He said how mike wished he would have been part of a chpionship team. Sounded like he had the option to go there but maybe was never officialy offered

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyguy11 View Post
              I am not so sure clarkson didn't offer mike. His dad has said that clarkson did something when mike was at slu that they didn't do and that wAs win a championship. He said how mike wished he would have been part of a chpionship team. Sounded like he had the option to go there but maybe was never officialy offered
              Huh?
              LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyguy11 View Post
                Huh x2?

Comment

Hey guys,

A few days ago Carolina Hurricanes beat writer Chip Alexander wrote a story about Mike McKenzie and his time at camp.

I've linked to it on the blog. Drew Weaver also tweeted about it.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/section/blogs05

Dan

Comment

Not that it matters at this point, but here are the facts.

Got6 is right, Mike visited Clarkson and SLU on the same weekend when he was 17 and after visiting Appleton, he said, This is where I want to play. A year or more after that, the only two schools still nterested in Mike were Clarkson and SLU. At some point, Clarkson informed Mike they wouldn't be able to offer him a scholarship and not long after that, SLU offered Mike.

All of which was fine. I am friends with George Roll and Greg Drechsel and totally respected how they handled everything. But Mike was thrilled to be offered by SLU, thrilled to play at SLU for four years and wouldn't have traded any of it for anything, including an ECAC championship at Clarkson or anywhere else. Like any SLU player, Mike lived to beat Clarkson and will never forget his final game at Appleton or a great four years there.

And I'm still friends with George, Drex and wish nothing but good things for the Whitby kids (Freeman and Oakley) on Clarkson and the Golden Knights program, except when they're playing SLU.

Good luck to the Saints this year. Excited to see so many Ontario kids and OPJHL grads on the Saints this year. All the best.

Comment

• Re: SLU - Summer of 2010

Originally posted by Bob McKenzie View Post
                      Not that it matters at this point, but here are the facts.

Got6 is right,
                      Even a broken clock is right twice a day (unless it is digital with no display ).

Like any SLU player, Mike lived to beat Clarkson and will never forget his final game at Appleton or a great four years there.
                      Neither will we. Both his pass to Carden to tie it or winning a 1 on 3 or 4 battle in front of the net to get the game winner. That was really awesome.

And I'm still friends with George, Drex and wish nothing but good things for the Whitby kids (Freeman and Oakley) on Clarkson and the Golden Knights program, except when they're playing SLU.
                      I hope they at least do well enough for Roll to keep his job. Recruiting is a funny business. I know who we got instead of Beca and am okay with it for sure, but it is really such an odd business of matching talent, grades, and interest with the roster holes for any given team. I don't really know how the coaches do it year after year. This is especially true with guys like Stevenson who were to be counted on for their size and toughness bail without any notice.

Good luck to the Saints this year. Excited to see so many Ontario kids and OPJHL grads on the Saints this year. All the best.
                      And good luck to Mike. He is part of the SLU family now and we'll always pull for him. Saw he got sent down to Charlotte but hopefully he keeps working, keeps having fun, and let's see what happens. Let's hope those Ontario kids shine...we really need guys like Wick, Baker, Carey, Austin, Essery and Vangog to shine. I know the first four should make an immediate impact.

Hope to see you at a couple of games, speaking of which, anyone else headed to Minnesota 10/8???

Comment

Bollig got shipped to Rockford by Chicago. He went a very impressive -2 in 6:54 of icetime against Detroit the other night with 4 PIM. Hopefully he finds a groove in Rockford, but gotta wonder if he still thinks it was a good decision.

Comment

Well, at least he got into a preseason game. Have not seen Stevenson on the roster for Washington yet. Bollig had no chance of cracking the Chicago lineup and that has not changed. In fact, I think he is number three on the Rockford depth chart at that position. I don't think he regrets now or ever will his decision. I do still wonder if Dietrich and Gustafson regret their decisions but once their gone there is no coming back. All I know is for me, it would have to be a pretty compelling offer to leave SLU if I was on a full ride....good coaching, good teammates and a good school all for free is tough to beat versus sitting in a roach motel in Rockford, IL playing XBOX between two-a-day practice sessions is a lifestyle that depresses me to even think about.

I am not going to be one of the guys that trashes the kid. I don't know the facts about how he was in the room and how the other guys felt about him. I do agree that he had already checked out by January of last year though. I think it is possible that he will be one of those players that is a better pro than he was a college player because of the style of game he plays. We'll see!!

McKenzie got sent to Charlotte on the same day! Hope he lights it up in Charlotte and has some fun!

Bagnall is -1 with 9 PIM's in two games with Minnesota. He fought Ian Schultz last night against Montreal. Hope he does well. Don't think he got a fair crack in LA / Manchester.

Zeiler got a goal in the first preseason game for LA. He is wearing #13 instead of #73, so I wonder if that means anything. If he can give them some quality minutes, not sure he will end up back in Manchester since he is on a 1-way contract...or was. Good news is he is a tough kid in amazing physical condition. Bad news is he has not really improved much since going pro.

Trevelyan is still in San Jose and getting into some preseason games. Have not seen Misko, Genny or others pop-up on box scores yet.

Comment

Stevenson got sent down to Hershey the other day as well, so I'm guessing he never got gametime.

Comment

Roster is up on the SLU website. Wasn't really sure what was happening with Bollig leaving and Stevenson ditching, but now it is clear that the two question marks for 2010 or 2011 are at SLU - Riley Austin and Nick Vangog (All 12'8" combined inches of them). Don't know the status of Chris Martin, maybe he is 2011? So the class looks like Carey, Logue, Wick, Essery, Baker, Raley, Vangog, Austin and Weninger. I have a feeling we are going to like some of these players a lot.

Comment

I note that W/O a Peer has fearfully predicted the Saints to finish DFL. Hmm . . . I think it's time for Red Cloud (there's a guy who knows his stuff!) to set him straight. Or maybe he just mixed us up with Farkson, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X