SLU - Summer of 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SLU - Summer of 2010

I hope Brenda is going on to bigger and better things, but if she's leaving SLU it's sad news for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
      I hope Brenda is going on to bigger and better things, but if she's leaving SLU it's sad news for the rest of us.
      It's very sad news, but I know that she will do very well in her new endeavors.
      I will miss stopping in between periods of home games to say hello, and to extend thanks to her for taking care of my ticket orders.

Never, ever, thought I'd see the day where SLU would cut staff. Just another reminder that the days of working for the same employer one's whole career are long gone.
      GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
        It's very sad news, but I know that she will do very well in her new endeavors.
        I will miss stopping in between periods of home games to say hello, and to extend thanks to her for taking care of my ticket orders.

Never, ever, thought I'd see the day where SLU would cut staff. Just another reminder that the days of working for the same employer one's whole career are long gone.
        Ditto!!!

That was really sad and disappointing news to hear.

Some years ago I worked for a company that was going through some downsizing.....we had a parking lot that was a bit remote and hidden and as a result we had some theft...it was a car company so the usual was a car up on blocks with the wheels gone. The company hired an older retired gentleman to sort of sit up in the lot during work hours and when the downsizing axe fell they let him go. The employees banded together and we gave up a few things like the summer company picnic so he could keep his job. I realize a University is a different environment than a corporation but it's too bad somone couldn't have come up with some idea or plan to keep Brenda there.
        At least it sounds like she landed on her feet which is an incresingly difficult thing to do these days.

I always considered her a part of Appleton and I am sure it was a difficult thing for whoever had to have that conversation with her. She will be missed. I'm also hoping they gave her a lifetime free pass to Appleton!!!!
        SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
          Ditto!!!

That was really sad and disappointing news to hear.

Some years ago I worked for a company that was going through some downsizing.....we had a parking lot that was a bit remote and hidden and as a result we had some theft...it was a car company so the usual was a car up on blocks with the wheels gone. The company hired an older retired gentleman to sort of sit up in the lot during work hours and when the downsizing axe fell they let him go. The employees banded together and we gave up a few things like the summer company picnic so he could keep his job. I realize a University is a different environment than a corporation but it's too bad somone couldn't have come up with some idea or plan to keep Brenda there.
          At least it sounds like she landed on her feet which is an incresingly difficult thing to do these days.

I always considered her a part of Appleton and I am sure it was a difficult thing for whoever had to have that conversation with her. She will be missed. I'm also hoping they gave her a lifetime free pass to Appleton!!!!
          What is disappointing is the fact that one of the things that makes SLU hockey special is that it is really extended family....and Brenda was the 'mom' of Appleton. My vote would have been to cut a professor or department in some fringe major like "alternative lifestyles" or any major that popped up under the reign of Patti Peterson, but no one asked me either.

The reality is I don't even begin to understand how schools like SLU can survive. I mean how many people can write 4 checks in 4 years for $60K with after tax dollars? Tuition is about the only thing that seems to have had inflation at the same pace as medical care and oil in the last 25 years. I think it is a sign of things to come. A lot of public schools around the country are cutting athletic programs all together due to budget cuts. Eventually, that will hit universities, both public and private. That will be an even worse day. I have to wonder if some universities will even survive let alone continue athletic programs. (Obvious exception would be money making programs such as big time football and basketball....but even then, where are the athletes going to be fed from if the public high schools don't have programs)?
          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
            What is disappointing is the fact that one of the things that makes SLU hockey special is that it is really extended family....and Brenda was the 'mom' of Appleton. My vote would have been to cut a professor or department in some fringe major like "alternative lifestyles" or any major that popped up under the reign of Patti Peterson, but no one asked me either.

The reality is I don't even begin to understand how schools like SLU can survive. I mean how many people can write 4 checks in 4 years for $60K with after tax dollars? Tuition is about the only thing that seems to have had inflation at the same pace as medical care and oil in the last 25 years. I think it is a sign of things to come. A lot of public schools around the country are cutting athletic programs all together due to budget cuts. Eventually, that will hit universities, both public and private. That will be an even worse day. I have to wonder if some universities will even survive let alone continue athletic programs. (Obvious exception would be money making programs such as big time football and basketball....but even then, where are the athletes going to be fed from if the public high schools don't have programs)?
            I'm with you here.............but the fact is that the cuts in any business are usually to the staffers and not to the big-shots. I just hope that whoever handles her duties going forward is as nice and as thorough as she was.

Well, SLU has incredible facilities now but has cut staff. Hmmm
            GO SAINTS.

Comment

As an Alum of a larger university but the parent of a SLU grad what makes St. Lawrence so special are people like Brenda. Whenever I called looking for tickets it was like talking to "Mom", going to playoffs at Albany or Manchester I was greeted warmly as a friend and thanked for coming. I will miss her and, as do others, wish her well.

Comment

Originally posted by number 16 View Post
                As an Alum of a larger university but the parent of a SLU grad what makes St. Lawrence so special are people like Brenda. Whenever I called looking for tickets it was like talking to "Mom", going to playoffs at Albany or Manchester I was greeted warmly as a friend and thanked for coming. I will miss her and, as do others, wish her well.
                What has always made SLU so special, and the best school in the country in my very biased opinion, is it's people and not its facilities. I'm just hoping that SLU never loses sight of this (we sure have the buildings/facilities now) and never, ever loses sight of its roots.

My understanding, from what SLU released I think in May, is that all remaining staff were asked to take a 5% pay cut. Good luck paying the bills (oh, I forgot, the Govt's. claiming we have zero or minimal inflation).
                GO SAINTS.

Comment

I just wanted to let you all know, since no one has mentioned anything about it on here, former SLU defensemen Jeff Caister and Derek Keller have agreed to terms with the ECHL's South Carolina Stingrays for the 20010-11 season. They both played together after the SLU season under an ATO and will return for the full season.

Comment

So long Riley Nash and your cheap *** shenanigans. Not surprised Edmonton traded you away.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUwriter View Post
                      I just wanted to let you all know, since no one has mentioned anything about it on here, former SLU defensemen Jeff Caister and Derek Keller have agreed to terms with the ECHL's South Carolina Stingrays for the 20010-11 season. They both played together after the SLU season under an ATO and will return for the full season.
                      Bagnall has signed with Minnesota so he will likely either be in Minneapolis or Houston. Trevelyan signed with the Sharks again so either San Jose or Worcester for him Mike McKenna is still with New Jersey but their farm team has moved from Lowell to Albany (for some unknown reason)!! Understand Mike McKenzie has a deal to .play in the AHL too, but won't say more until it is public. Mike Mudd was promoted to President of the Worcester Sharks. That is all I got off the top of my head....congrats to all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                        Bagnall has signed with Minnesota so he will likely either be in Minneapolis or Houston. Trevelyan signed with the Sharks again so either San Jose or Worcester for him Mike McKenna is still with New Jersey but their farm team has moved from Lowell to Albany (for some unknown reason)!! Understand Mike McKenzie has a deal to .play in the AHL too, but won't say more until it is public. Mike Mudd was promoted to President of the Worcester Sharks. That is all I got off the top of my head....congrats to all of them.
                        Not positive on this one but the Albany franchise was Carolina (I think) who moved their AHL affiliate to North Carolina leaving Albany vacant.......I believe some years ago Albany was a Devils affiliate and they probably feel people in Albany would be more aligned with a NJ Devils affiliate than people in Bruins conuntry in Lowell. It's probably also marginally closer to shuffle personnel back and forth between NJ and Albany.
                        SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                          Not positive on this one but the Albany franchise was Carolina (I think) who moved their AHL affiliate to North Carolina leaving Albany vacant.......I believe some years ago Albany was a Devils affiliate and they probably feel people in Albany would be more aligned with a NJ Devils affiliate than people in Bruins conuntry in Lowell. It's probably also marginally closer to shuffle personnel back and forth between NJ and Albany.
                          Yeah, I know all this, but Albany sucks (even more than Lowell does)!! I guess Albany has always drawn decent numbers for the AHL as opposed to Lowell which never has. But, Tsongas is way nicer than the TUC. My understanding is that part of the reason was that Tsongas is now owned by U-Mass Lowell (or they have the lease) so they were somewhat forced to move. Probably because Lowell was losing their shirt on the building. UML does draw worth a crap either.

Except one win in 2000, I have nothing good to say about the TUC.

I will say this though...Lowell is good geographically as three hours on a bus gets you to Bridgeport, Hartford, Albany, Springfield, Manchester, Portland, and Worcester. Now a lot of those trips are longer.

Comment

Hey guys,
                            I've been asked to submit my predictions for the ECAC standings this year. I figured I'd do the same to you.

On my blog (http://watertowndailytimes.com/section/blogs05), I've asked you to e-mail me your predictions for the 2010-11 season. I'll compile the results and show you what you predicted in September.

Thanks guys.

- Dan

Comment

Well, it was great talking with several of you the past few days. Shame on me for inadvertently interrupting two of you while you were fishing. I hope the bass cooperated.

Looking forward to the golf outing in Canton on September 18th, and the SLU and Clarkson game in Placid on October 30th. If all goes as expected, my butt will be at many more SLU games each season henceforth. Thanks to those who helped me out last season....what goes around comes around. I guess the question is - will it be cheaper for me to buy the beer or dinner as repayment ?

Good news is I've lost 18 pounds. Want to drop another 12 before going to Placid.
                              GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                                Well, it was great talking with several of you the past few days. Shame on me for inadvertently interrupting two of you while you were fishing. I hope the bass cooperated.
                                They did NOT.

But I had a great weekend anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X