SLU - Summer of 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SLU - Summer of 2010

Greetings from Greece everybody. Checking in before getting to bed after a long day of work/watch. Hope all is well with all of you.

Comment

Ah, Greece--can't wait! In 3 wks I leave for 2 solid months in Greece, which as you may know, is just slightly NE of Sweden. Good times a'comin'.
      BTW, I lived for 2 years in Mexico, which y'all know is just S of Texas. And before that, there were the 4 years in China . . . .
      At least I get to sail with all my old buddies at NYC, even if I do gotta stay in Greece!
      And yeah, have a great summer, everybody! Only 4 more months . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
        I agree it's been way too quiet on the Saints front.

Have been enjoying the NHL playoffs even though my Bruins are long gone, however, I am salivating at 4 picks in the first round and a half and the second pick overall. Sequin or Hall.....either one will be an impact player for years to come.

I noticed a blurb on the USCHO home page about the BU women signing a couple of Canadian Olympians. Do I take that to mean our women's program lost out on that Olympic recruit???? (Leckster can you clue us in on that one).

Hope to get up to Tupper to chase that little white ball around with some of the crew in the not too distant future.
        Unfortunately, that is probably exactly what it means. We were competing with BU for her services for 3 years. She had one good friend at BU and her best friend at SLU. SLU women's hockey is a higher profile than BU Women's but Canton doesn't compete well with Boston. Too bad if true. I was hoping Gina Kingsbury would help on that front. I did send a note to Wellsy on his birthday but have not heard back from him.

Been busy as hell with work. Just trying to hang on in this stinking economy. I'll be stunned if there are any businesses left after four years of this idiot. So, I have not had time to dig into the schedule too much. All I know is 2 at MTU, 2 at FSU, at UNH, and Vermont at SLU, at least one NC game against Clarkson (maybe two) one of which is in LP on halloween. That is 7 or 8 of the 12 NC games. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sacred Heart because I am sure Joe did a reciprical with CJ at SHU....not sure though.

I thought we might see some recruiting with the loss of Stevenson and the departure of Bollig. All quiet on that front too.

Really enjoying the NHL playoffs. Go BLACKHAWKS!! Man do I hate the Flyers and Pronger. Pronger has got to be the biggest A-Hole ever!! As for Boston, maybe the injuries caught up with them but their demise was absolutely dreadful to watch.

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer.
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Word emerging in these parts that former Bronxville (NY) HS player and current Choate School (Wallingford, CT) Junior forward Alex Hagen has signed on for 2011.
          Don't see it in Heisenberg but my reliable source provided this brief summary of Hagen:
          "He repeated Junior year at Choate this year. Beautiful skater, is as quick as the wind and a sniper to boot. He needs to add some weight to play D1 - another (really PG) year at Choate will do it."

Hagen's 14-18-32 (28 games) led '09-'10 Choate squad. Marsh coached at Choate for a couple yrs back around '79-'81.
          Lets hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by W-force View Post
            Word emerging in these parts that former Bronxville (NY) HS player and current Choate School (Wallingford, CT) Junior forward Alex Hagen has signed on for 2011.
            Don't see it in Heisenberg but my reliable source provided this brief summary of Hagen:
            "He repeated Junior year at Choate this year. Beautiful skater, is as quick as the wind and a sniper to boot. He needs to add some weight to play D1 - another (really PG) year at Choate will do it."

Hagen's 14-18-32 (28 games) led '09-'10 Choate squad. Marsh coached at Choate for a couple yrs back around '79-'81.
            Lets hope for the best.
            The current coach at Choate is an SLU alum....Pat Dennehy if memory serves. If I were coaching I would funnel as many kids as I could towards SLU and the best coaching staff in the country too!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
              The current coach at Choate is an SLU alum....Pat Dennehy if memory serves. If I were coaching I would funnel as many kids as I could towards SLU and the best coaching staff in the country too!
              ...and just heard this am that his dad Kevin Hagen is an SLU alum, so all in family on this one.

Comment

Just got into Dublin this morning, long 12 days from Greece going really, really slow. Did the Guinness brewery tour this afternoon, was pretty nice, nothing like a fresh pint of Guinness from Ireland. Hope everybody is enjoying some summer weather back home.

Comment

Just laid eyes on this....

Can't be good.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...WS05/306239968

Comment

Maybe, just maybe...... I hope so....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...nter-site.html
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Drew Bagnall signed a 1 year, 2 way contract today with the Minnesota Wild. This years schedule is also posted on the SLU website.

Sat, 10/02/2010 7:00 pm
                      Carleton University (Exhibition) Appleton Arena

Fri, 10/08/2010 8:00 pm
                      Minnesota State Mankato, MN

Sat, 10/09/2010 8:00 pm
                      Minnesota State Mankato, MN

Fri, 10/15/2010 7:00 pm
                      Ferris State Big Rapids, MI

Sat, 10/16/2010 7:00 pm
                      Ferris State Big Rapids, MI

Fri, 10/22/2010 7:00 pm
                      Western Michigan Appleton Arena

Sat, 10/23/2010 7:00 pm
                      Western Michigan Appleton Arena

Sat, 10/30/2010 7:00 pm
                      Clarkson at Lake Placid Olympic Arena Lake Placid

Fri, 11/05/2010 7:00 pm
                      Cornell Appleton Arena

Sat, 11/06/2010 7:00 pm
                      Colgate Appleton Arena

Fri, 11/12/2010 7:00 pm
                      Harvard Appleton Arena

Sat, 11/13/2010 7:00 pm
                      Dartmouth Appleton Arena

Sat, 11/20/2010 7:00 pm
                      Clarkson Potsdam, NY

Fri, 12/03/2010 7:00 pm
                      Quinnipiac Hamden, CT

Sat, 12/04/2010 7:00 pm
                      Princeton Princeton, NJ
                      Sat, 12/18/2010 7:00 pm
                      Vermont Appleton Arena

Sun, 01/02/2011 4:00 pm
                      New Hampshire Durham, NH

Mon, 01/03/2011 7:00 pm
                      Sacred Heart Fairfield, CT

Fri, 01/07/2011 7:00 pm
                      Union Schenectady, NY

Sat, 01/08/2011 7:00 pm
                      Rensselaer Troy, NY

Fri, 01/14/2011 7:00 pm
                      Michigan Tech Houghton, MI

Sat, 01/15/2011 5:05 pm
                      Michigan Tech Houghton, MI

Fri, 01/21/2011 7:00 pm
                      Brown Providence, RI

Sat, 01/22/2011 7:00 pm
                      Yale New Haven, CT

Fri, 01/28/2011 7:00 pm
                      Princeton Appleton Arena

Sat, 01/29/2011 4:00 pm
                      Quinnipiac Appleton Arena

Fri, 02/04/2011 12:00 am
                      Colgate Hamilton, NY

Sat, 02/05/2011 7:00 pm
                      Cornell Ithaca, NY

Fri, 02/11/2011 7:00 pm
                      Yale Appleton Arena

Sat, 02/12/2011 7:00 pm
                      Brown Appleton Arena

Tue, 02/15/2011 7:00 pm
                      Clarkson Appleton Arena

Fri, 02/18/2011 7:00 pm
                      Rensselaer Appleton Arena

Sat, 02/19/2011 7:00 pm
                      Union Appleton Arena

Fri, 02/25/2011 7:00 pm
                      Dartmouth Hanover, NH

Sat, 02/26/2011 7:00 pm
                      Harvard Cambridge, MA

Comment

Wow..........really has a Michigan sort of flavor to the schedule,huh???? I'm sort of surprised as the word we got earlier on was the team would be staying closer to home due to the budget. I wonder if the team will come back or just stay out there in Michigan for those back to back Michagan weekends early on.
                        The Lake Placid game should be fun. Wish there was more going on than that one game as it's a long trip from CT just for a single game.

Brandon hope you are enjoying your tour of the world there. I'm sure you'll be back for hockey season, correct???
                        As for the summer here Brandon it has been unbearably hot.....here in CT we just went through a week of 90 plus with high humidity and had a couple of days where it peaked at just over 100 degrees. Enjoy your trip and getting to see all those countries. Those are things you will look back on and treasure always. Travel and seeing new places and countries is a privledge and I hope you take full advantage of it.
                        SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                          Wow..........really has a Michigan sort of flavor to the schedule,huh???? I'm sort of surprised as the word we got earlier on was the team would be staying closer to home due to the budget. I wonder if the team will come back or just stay out there in Michigan for those back to back Michagan weekends early on.
                          The Lake Placid game should be fun. Wish there was more going on than that one game as it's a long trip from CT just for a single game.

Brandon hope you are enjoying your tour of the world there. I'm sure you'll be back for hockey season, correct???
                          As for the summer here Brandon it has been unbearably hot.....here in CT we just went through a week of 90 plus with high humidity and had a couple of days where it peaked at just over 100 degrees. Enjoy your trip and getting to see all those countries. Those are things you will look back on and treasure always. Travel and seeing new places and countries is a privledge and I hope you take full advantage of it.
                          Yes, Brandon, take full advantage because once and if you have one or more children you probably won't be traveling.

Re the schedule, my only gripe is OOC games are 3 home, 1 neutral, and 8 road. The siren might get rusty with so few home games. After the heat of this week, the thought of SLU hockey being played anywhere is nonetheless awesome.

You 'gotta "love" the post by "Onion Man" on the CCHA/ECAC thread going on now. He says something to the effect that all SLU (or SLUt as he spelled it] fans are dumb. Sounds like a real classy person.

I hope all are having a great summer. Hope to meet Onion Man someday...NOT.
                          Last edited by Muskieman; 07-10-2010, 06:45 PM.
                          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Here's Onion Man's post:

Nothing is worse than rooting for SLUt. Their fans are dumb enough to think they can win something of significance someday. Brown fans go to Meehan expecting nothing yet still leave disappointed (ended with the symbol for "eek").

Maybe he was talking about our football team.
                            Last edited by Muskieman; 07-10-2010, 09:22 PM.
                            GO SAINTS.

Comment

Greetings from Malta. Sounds like we're sharing some hot weather, as it's been easily in the 90's here with no clouds in sight for the past week. I like the prospects of the schedule, however it is an awfully road-heavy year. I'm not sure if I'll be back at school around that sacred heart game or not yet, we'll have to see (Yes, Mike, I'll be home well before the season. Should be pulling into NYC aug 7th.)

Comment

Regarding the schedule, while there is an emphasis on reducing travel expenses, I guess there are two points at play here. First, the schedules are often set or partially set well in advance. For instance the Denver tourney last year I think Joe knew about 2-3 years earlier, so to some extent, it is decided well in advance. Second, it depends on whether these are reciprocals or what. If these are just two games this year and they won't be coming to Appleton, they are giving us money to go there. For example, we got money to go to Omaha and Denver last year, but not to Miami a few years ago because Miami came and played at Appleton. So, it could actually be budget neutral. Reality is too, unless we draw well at home in our NC games, we could lose more money playing at home in non-reciprocals than going on the road.

On to more somber news, I have received a few emails inquiring and just thought I would post here that Brenda's position was eliminated as part of the budget cut process. I assume Randy LaBrake will be responsible for ticket sales and the like. This stinks as Brenda was a part of the family for a long time, but it is a sign of the times as budgets are getting whacked everywhere. She quickly landed a job working for the government so, in all likelihood, no need to shed a tear as she is possibly making more with better benefits. Anyway, thought you should all know.

Other than that, quiet summer. I have been busy so haven't been perusing out here much. Hope all of you are well.

As for Onion man, the worst part of Brown making it to Albany last year was all these muppets like OM coming out of the woodwork. He is a complete imbecile.

Comment

Working...
                                X