SLU - Summer of 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU - Summer of 2010

Did VanGog play last night? I don't recall him playing. If not, does anyone know why they were playing D-men at forward instead of him?

Comment

I see on Chris Heisenberg's site that SLU just got a commitment from Patric Doherty, C from NH Jr. Monarchs of the EJHL for 2011, it appears. He's a sept '90 birthday, so he'll be older (21) coming in as a freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        I see on Chris Heisenberg's site that SLU just got a commitment from Patric Doherty, C from NH Jr. Monarchs of the EJHL for 2011, it appears. He's a sept '90 birthday, so he'll be older (21) coming in as a freshman.
        Here's the EJHL News Release:

Date: Oct 14, 2010

Hooksett, NH- The New Hampshire Junior Monarchs are pleased to announce that forward and captain Pat Doherty has committed to St. Lawrence University for the fall of 2011.

Doherty had narrowed his decision down to St. Lawrence and Union, but in the end Doherty felt that St. Lawrence was the best fit for him both athletically and academically. “The coaching staff at St. Lawrence really made me feel comfortable in making my decision. Coach Marsh has a reputation that is unmatched, and Coaches Hurlbut and Prier really impressed me with their professionalism and love for the program”, stated Doherty. He would go on to say, “I feel as though I’ll really continue to develop as both a player and a person with a coaching staff like the one present here at St. Lawrence.”

Head Coach and GM of the Monarchs, Sean Tremblay had this to say about Doherty, “Patrick is one of those complete players. He’s a tremendous skater with excellent acceleration. He also has excellent hands, and sees the ice tremendously well. He’s a heady player who can score goals.” Tremblay would go on to say, “Pat’s also our captain – and with good reason. He does everything the right way.”

Doherty currently has 10 points in 10 games for the 8-1-1 Monarchs, who are currently at the top of the EJHL’s Northern Division and tied for number 1 in the Overall standings.

-Courtesy of New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs
        Back to news articles
        GO SAINTS.

Comment

Tough weekend for our Saints. I was sort of surprised to see Wenninger in goal both nights. I thought Joe would continue with a rotation in all these out of conference games. I was disappointed we got swept and more so that we didn't even get on the board last night. Sounds like Ferris has a pretty good team. Hopefully we can get rested up and healthy for the home openers and get our first win.
          SLU

Comment

Noticed that on a delayed penality call Ferris State pulled their goally, scored and was still awarded the 2 minute advantage, new rule this year or just in the CCHA ? Also wondered why the Saints played 2 D-men at forward Friday night and not dress Vangog. Still waiting for Carey to step up, five games and no goals-----Wally said that Peter Childs took a hit in the head in the last minutes of the game but was going to the dressing room favoring a leg ,not sure what happened but sure hope it's not bad.By the way, what do you guys think of Wally's calling of the action.I think he did an excellent job both week-ends and should of been doing the away games the last few years, no hard feelings Got 6, but seriously you could follow the play real good.Hope the team gets it to-gether soon, seemed like every pass or dump in was taken away and back the other way Ferris S. would come----
            brashersaintsfan

Comment

Originally posted by slu fan View Post
              Noticed that on a delayed penality call Ferris State pulled their goally, scored and was still awarded the 2 minute advantage, new rule this year or just in the CCHA ? Also wondered why the Saints played 2 D-men at forward Friday night and not dress Vangog. Still waiting for Carey to step up, five games and no goals-----Wally said that Peter Childs took a hit in the head in the last minutes of the game but was going to the dressing room favoring a leg ,not sure what happened but sure hope it's not bad.By the way, what do you guys think of Wally's calling of the action.I think he did an excellent job both week-ends and should of been doing the away games the last few years, no hard feelings Got 6, but seriously you could follow the play real good.Hope the team gets it to-gether soon, seemed like every pass or dump in was taken away and back the other way Ferris S. would come----
              Pete, confused by this post. I have never had anything but good things to say about Wally or Greg? I thought Wally did a good job. What I was *****ing about was the video by Ferris State....their broadcasters don't know the game at all, and the video was off more than it was on. In fact, on Saturday it didn't work at all.

Carey has had his chances. Boy was I confused by Live Stats last night as it had Keller in the lineup. I didn't think he even made the trip.

Don't know why two D-men were at forward, but I have a feeling that a) they want to get everyone some game time and wanted Dewey's skating and playmaking and Stratford's toughness, and b) after last Friday when we were quickly down to only 4 d-men it was tough for the four we had left.

I sure hope nothing is wrong with Child. I sure hope his knee / legs hold up. That is what makes me nervous about him. I could tell he hurt it a bit at Mankato but just kept going. Great kid and family. Hope he has an awesome season.

I think we need to be patient with the freshmen...Carey will make his mark. I am not worried. He is maybe pressing a bit too hard. We did miss Wick this weekend for sure.

As for Doherty....what a smart perceptive kid. He is spot on and, obviously, made a great choice. I'll have to head over to tri-town to see him play a few times. I didn't even know the coaches were on him.

Ferris is a tough team and it is a tough place to play. Just feel like we never got going offensively. If you shut down the North Country line that says something because they can all play. Let's just hope they get back to .500 this weekend and take a couple at home.
              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Noticed that on a delayed penality call Ferris State pulled their goally, scored and was still awarded the 2 minute advantage, new rule this year or just in the CCHA ?
                That's a new rule for this year (and next) throughout the entire NCAA.
                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Got Six, No No NO, I know you've always spoke well of Greg and Wally, I was just digging you a little on your doing the play action a couple of years ago, or at least I think it was you.Always look forward to your posts and your take on the games .Keep up the good work.
                  Pete
                  brashersaintsfan

Comment

Originally posted by Get the Puck Outta Here View Post
                    It all sounds good boys. Nice to have some high ranking players on the team. Ferris split last weekend with Alabama-Huntsville, so we need to roll in there and take care of buisness. Seems like we have another hard nosed, knitty-gritty team. I like watching that type of hockey. Lets collect a couple wins this weekend. Go Saints Go
                    Ferris split with UAH but outshot the Chargers 70-36 over the two games in Huntsville. They have a lot of juniors/seniors and are a solid team.

Comment

Got Six, No No NO, I know you've always spoke well of Greg and Wally, I was just digging you a little on your doing the play action a couple of years ago, or at least I think it was you.Always look forward to your posts and your take on the games .Keep up the good work.
                      Pete
                      Hey Pete, thanks for bringing that up! That was pure hell. I would love another crack at play by play but what I would really like to do is the color bit. Those particular games were the first of the year, no names on the jerseys, the press box hung out about 10 feet over the ice so you couldn't see anything on a quarter of the ice and you generally looked down right on the top of the heads of the players. Having said that, I like to watch the games, not talk as I am watching them, so I leave the play by play to people like Greg and Dan Rusanowsky that seem to be able to say what they are thinking without thinking about it.

If it makes you feel any better, I only saw two plays that entire weekend at Miami-Ohio in 2001. Friday night it was some unnamed player from Miami taking a shot...they probably had about 100, and then Saturday it was the same but we did have a nice 2-0 with Pevs and Zeiler that netted Yo-Yo his first collegiate goal. So now, you too, know what went on in those games!
                      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Hey guys,

By Oct. 30 St. Lawrence should be completely healthy. That's the hope anyway and the news out of practice today. I spoke with several players, including Wick, Torney, J Keller and Logue. Wick and Logue will likely play this weekend.

J. Keller, Torney and Pete Child hope to be back for the SLU/Clarkson game at Placid. Child didn't tear a ligament, which is good, but he dislocated his kneecap, which will take at least one week to heal.

I've reported on the injuries and more on the blog

http://watertowndailytimes.com/section/blogs05

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Get the Puck Outta Here View Post
                          It all sounds good boys. Nice to have some high ranking players on the team. Ferris split last weekend with Alabama-Huntsville, so we need to roll in there and take care of buisness. Seems like we have another hard nosed, knitty-gritty team. I like watching that type of hockey. Lets collect a couple wins this weekend. Go Saints Go
                          A large # of NHL draft picks on the team is not always a barometer of success.

Trust me, I know.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Sorry Joe, that you felt that was my point in the post. I also understand that this stat is no barometer of the season, but was simply stating a fact from Inside College Hockey about our 2014 recruiting class. It made absolutely no reference to being an NHL draft pick, just simply compared incoming freshman in college hockey across the board. It is good to see some possible talent coming to a small school like SLU. I also understand that it is not the standings at the beginning of the season that count but the final standings.

Anyway, seems like SLU ran into a tough Ferris St. last weekend. They seem to be much improved from the team we played two years ago and were pounding on for two periods before hanging on to a 5-4 win. It is nice that they are returning home for the first time this season. Western Michigan is coming in with a 3-1 record vs Canisus and Mercyhurst. It will be an even better day when we return to being 100% healthy. Still looking forward to seeing that first victory of the 2010-2011 season. Go Saints Go.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                              I would love another crack at play by play but what I would really like to do is the color bit.
                              Got 6, I mean this in the best possible way, I think it would be awesome to hear you do color but lo unto the poor radio station that would have to field the incoming lawsuits from the refs and opposing coaches.
                              St. Lawrence University
                              World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

GtPoH

The point was that one would assume that an NHL draft pick would have more of an upside (talent?) than the non drafted player. However in the words of that famous Massena native, "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X