Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU - Summer of 2010

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Joe mentioned in the pregame with Mankato's radio team that Keller does indeed have a concussion, but "felt pretty well" today. He also did mention several times that this may be the end of the road, but that decision will be made sometime in the future.

Baker is back in the lineup tonight, Weninger starting in net.

Lineup:

Flanagan, Bogo, Flanagan
    Drewiske Mobley Carden
    Wick Carey Essery
    Logue Armstrong Vangog

Hughes Child
    Baker Raley
    Austin Dyer
    I talked briefly to Jared. He said he felt good which is great to hear. It would be great if he were cleared to play and had a great year of success on the ice. Just hoping for the best for him. Would never want there to be any kind of permanent damage. Just a tough break for him. He said he went in for a hit and missed and hit his head against the boards. He sure remembers it clearly which is a good sign.

Not only did Baker play but he was playing some great hockey. He is getting better every shift. He reminds me a lot of Hughes already and his vision on the ice is exceptional.

Weninger did play a great game. He really is light on his skates and his lateral movement is great. Saturday was a much tighter, tougher, up tempo game. The only bad news from the night was we lost both Logue and Wick early in the first. Not sure exactly what happened to them. Logue was limping so it is probably a charley horse or bruise from going into the boards full speed. Wick I think just got hurt hitting the dasher. Don't know if they will miss any games...it is a quick week for them as they get back tonight at 9 and leave for Ferris on Weds at 2.

Lots of positives in my mind. We had 8 freshmen in the lineup on Saturday and they all looked good. A few have a bit to work on, but still looked good out there. Essery is a great player at both ends of the ice. He did a nice job on the PK. Ferris will be a tough test. Here's hoping for a successful weekend in Big Rapids with no injuries!
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
      I talked briefly to Jared. He said he felt good which is great to hear. It would be great if he were cleared to play and had a great year of success on the ice. Just hoping for the best for him. Would never want there to be any kind of permanent damage. Just a tough break for him. He said he went in for a hit and missed and hit his head against the boards. He sure remembers it clearly which is a good sign.

Not only did Baker play but he was playing some great hockey. He is getting better every shift. He reminds me a lot of Hughes already and his vision on the ice is exceptional.

Weninger did play a great game. He really is light on his skates and his lateral movement is great. Saturday was a much tighter, tougher, up tempo game. The only bad news from the night was we lost both Logue and Wick early in the first. Not sure exactly what happened to them. Logue was limping so it is probably a charley horse or bruise from going into the boards full speed. Wick I think just got hurt hitting the dasher. Don't know if they will miss any games...it is a quick week for them as they get back tonight at 9 and leave for Ferris on Weds at 2.

Lots of positives in my mind. We had 8 freshmen in the lineup on Saturday and they all looked good. A few have a bit to work on, but still looked good out there. Essery is a great player at both ends of the ice. He did a nice job on the PK. Ferris will be a tough test. Here's hoping for a successful weekend in Big Rapids with no injuries!
      All good stuff to hear, Leckster. Most of what you mentioned I also saw against Carleton regarding Baker, Weninger, etc. Essery almost reminded me of a Vermuelen type of player when I was at the Carleton game, if I had to compare him to anybody of recent memory. God knows we would love him to develop and fill those shoes.

Comment

All good stuff to hear, Leckster. Most of what you mentioned I also saw against Carleton regarding Baker, Weninger, etc. Essery almost reminded me of a Vermuelen type of player when I was at the Carleton game, if I had to compare him to anybody of recent memory. God knows we would love him to develop and fill those shoes.
        He definitely reminds me a bit of Verm too. He actually seems to be a bit more of an offensive play maker than Travis but Travis was one of the best ever at winning battles for the puck....he was badger like when trying to win possession of the puck and, God Forbid, if he ever got it taken away. TV was definitely a better defensive player than Essery is right now, but I see that potential. Essery is a bit bigger, a good skater and seems to be responsible at both ends. I can see that freshmen line being quite productive.

Other than some injuries, I thought it was a great weekend and the types of games that will really help us down the road. There was practically no BS after the whistle and MSU seemed well-coached.

FSU will be a tough test for us. Hope guys can get healthy and have a couple of good practices before their LONG bus ride.

Just glad Baker was all right. He did get hit pretty hard and squarely into the boards. He made some great plays on Saturday. Everyone on the Bogo line impressed me this weekend. I can't say enough about Kyle F's passing ability, decision making and puck control....really impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          He definitely reminds me a bit of Verm too. He actually seems to be a bit more of an offensive play maker than Travis but Travis was one of the best ever at winning battles for the puck....he was badger like when trying to win possession of the puck and, God Forbid, if he ever got it taken away. TV was definitely a better defensive player than Essery is right now, but I see that potential. Essery is a bit bigger, a good skater and seems to be responsible at both ends. I can see that freshmen line being quite productive.

Other than some injuries, I thought it was a great weekend and the types of games that will really help us down the road. There was practically no BS after the whistle and MSU seemed well-coached.

FSU will be a tough test for us. Hope guys can get healthy and have a couple of good practices before their LONG bus ride.

Just glad Baker was all right. He did get hit pretty hard and squarely into the boards. He made some great plays on Saturday. Everyone on the Bogo line impressed me this weekend. I can't say enough about Kyle F's passing ability, decision making and puck control....really impressive.
          Agreed that, all in all, it was a great weekend. Injuries were the only real bummer.

I know it's early but my initial impressions are that there is a lot to like about this team. The guys really work hard and the talent level has been underestimated IMO. If nothing else, this will be an extremely road tested team come playoff time and playing in an opponents barn, if needed, shouldn't be a factor.

On to Ferris St.
          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Hey guys,

A couple things of note:
            1. I spoke briefly with Jared Keller yesterday at practice. He said he felt good, although he had a slight headache. He is visiting with doctors Wednesday and Thursday to get reevaluated. Keller said that he felt pretty good. I asked him point-blank if his career was over. He replied: "I'm not done yet."
            2. Bobby Torney has a bit more serious shoulder injury than initially thought. In my weekly interview with Joe Marsh, he said Torney will be out for a while. The podcast of the entire interview is available on the blog.
            3. This week's "Get to Know a Saint" is now available. I spoke with Jacob Drewiske.

http://watertowndailytimes.com/section/blogs05

- Dan
            Last edited by SLUwriter; 10-12-2010, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Dan keep up the great work!
              LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

It was a terrific weekend. Lots of positives. The new kids made a lot of freshmen mistakes but they are fixable. It was a very solid first weekend. Very long season. Upside is much better than expected. Need to stay out of the box. Go Saints.

Comment

Uh . . . I believe this is a first: http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch...steam_1011.htm
                  w00t! Yeah, I'd say there's an upside!

Comment

Originally posted by apple2k View Post
                    Uh . . . I believe this is a first: http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch...steam_1011.htm
                    Thanks for the link Apple2K. I guess it all comes down to who do you believe, INCH or the mighty genius of Brian Sullivan?

After watching two games live....there is no question Baker is the real deal, Weninger had a fantastic game, and Essery, Wick and Carey all impressed me a lot. Considering Carey's liability was said to be his skating...he has decent speed. As I have said, I love Wick and the way he hits but is still a clean and honest player, and has decent skill. I think Austin, Vangog and Logue will all be good too but they are not as far along. Only got to see Logue for a few minutes before he got injured on Saturday but he skates well and plays with reckless abandon. Pat Raley is a pleasant surprise. I really think he can contribute a lot. Not sure who I am missing but all in all I really enjoyed seeing the freshmen play and think there are a few guys that could have really great college careers in that class.

Hope we can hold our own this weekend and avoid injuries. It is never easy going on the road to the CCHA with tough officiating for the visitors and a FSU team that brings back a lot of experience especially on defense. This is the one weekend all year where we will maybe miss Bollig and Stevenson the most.

I honestly felt after this weekend that our freshmen class was one of the better I have seen in a while. Let's hope they keep working hard, improving and avoiding injury. I am not sure what would have happened if we didn't have Baker on Saturday...he was really good in that game. A few rookie mistakes, but overall a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by apple2k View Post
                      Going further... http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch...tsdef_1011.htm

Baker named #17 incoming defenseman in the country. If you click the top 20 forwards on that page as well, Carey is #20 in the nation, and Weninger is #7 goalie in the nation. Gotta love the work the coaches do.

Comment

It all sounds good boys. Nice to have some high ranking players on the team. Ferris split last weekend with Alabama-Huntsville, so we need to roll in there and take care of buisness. Seems like we have another hard nosed, knitty-gritty team. I like watching that type of hockey. Lets collect a couple wins this weekend. Go Saints Go

Comment

Originally posted by Get the Puck Outta Here View Post
                          It all sounds good boys. Nice to have some high ranking players on the team. Ferris split last weekend with Alabama-Huntsville, so we need to roll in there and take care of buisness. Seems like we have another hard nosed, knitty-gritty team. I like watching that type of hockey. Lets collect a couple wins this weekend. Go Saints Go
                          Ferris State is one of the better teams in the CCHA this year....picked anywhere from 3rd to 6th by USCHO and about the same by MEDIA and Coaches. These are going to be tough games, especially with CCHA refs. I hope we can get at least one win but this will be a tough series for a team that is having its first games at home.

Comment

Going further... http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch...tsdef_1011.htm

Baker named #17 incoming defenseman in the country. If you click the top 20 forwards on that page as well, Carey is #20 in the nation, and Weninger is #7 goalie in the nation. Gotta love the work the coaches do.
                            Yeah and that ranking for the class is minus Stevenson who signed with the Caps before showing. I imagine we would have ranked even higher had he had some common sense and took a college education route instead of playing in the ECHL. Best of luck to the Saints this weekend against Ferris State.
                            SLU

Comment

Not a terrific effort here in Big Rapids last night. Everyone appeared to be a little out of sync. Ferris State beat us to the puck most of the night. Expect better things tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Larriecat View Post
                                Not a terrific effort here in Big Rapids last night. Everyone appeared to be a little out of sync. Ferris State beat us to the puck most of the night. Expect better things tonight.
                                Watched (or at least tried to on the lousy performing) webcast. Definitely looked out of sorts in several ways. All I can say is it is too early in the year to be so dinged up at forward. We are down several guys....Keller, Logue, Wick, and Klancher (for different reasons I guess). That is why we dressed 8 d-men last night and had Dewey and Stratford at forward. I hope we can pull a win off tonight. Even if we don't win, let's hope there are no more injuries.

Comment

Working...
                                X