Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin womens' hockey: Off-season '10

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...040410aaa.html
    Although the 2010 U.S. Women's National Under-18 Team came up just short of gold at the 2010 IIHF World Women's Under-18 Championship, goaltender and incoming Wisconsin recruit, Alex Rigsby, was named the best goaltender by the IIHF Tournament Directorate.

Rigsby had 45 saves in the U.S. women’s 5-4 overtime loss to rival Canada in the gold medal game Saturday night in Woodridge, Ill. Her sensational performance in the silver medal-winning effort granted her the best goalie honor for the second consecutive year.

Fellow UW recruit, forward Brittany Ammerman, contributed an assist in the gold medal game.

Through the tournament, Ammerman collected five goals and three assists to rank eighth in scoring leaders throughout the championship. Rigbsy posted two shutouts finishing the tournament with a 2-0-1-0 record (W-OTW-OTL-L), a .932 save percentage and 1.64 goals-against average.
    A Badger living in Buckeye country.
    Originally posted by MadCityRich
    He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
    Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
    "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Re: Wisconsin womens' hockey: Off-season '10

That's a good way to start the off season.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Another good way to start off the season will be the return of Coach Johnson, along with Duggan and Knight.. in tandem to the obviously important addition of Rigsby and the tremendous talent she brings between the pipes.
      Now i don't mean that as a knock on Tracy or the team, they had a tough role to fill last year considering all the obstacles (losing 4 of the country's top stars in Vetter, Lawler, Duggan & Knight... increased parity in the WCHA... losing Coach Johnson... etc).
      But i think the return of these three individuals and the addition of Rigsby will be a welcomed change for the Badgers in the fall of 2010.
      i see a well-motivated return to the top of the WCHA for Bucky in 2010/11
      even if you're on the right path, you'll get run over if you just sit there

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerFan11 View Post
        Another good way to start off the season will be the return of Coach Johnson, along with Duggan and Knight.. in tandem to the obviously important addition of Rigsby and the tremendous talent she brings between the pipes.
        Now i don't mean that as a knock on Tracy or the team, they had a tough role to fill last year considering all the obstacles (losing 4 of the country's top stars in Vetter, Lawler, Duggan & Knight... increased parity in the WCHA... losing Coach Johnson... etc).
        But i think the return of these three individuals and the addition of Rigsby will be a welcomed change for the Badgers in the fall of 2010.
        i see a well-motivated return to the top of the WCHA for Bucky in 2010/11
        And Madison Packer and Britt Ammerman are chopped liver?

Comment

Im hoping to see the ladies rebound next season. The olympics put a lot of obstacles in their way but thats no excuse. Great teams find ways to win despite the hardships and the plain and simple fact is that the '09/'10 team didnt play together, didnt have the leadership they needed and just didnt have the killer instinct that it takes to win championships.
          He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
          I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
          "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
            And Madison Packer and Britt Ammerman are chopped liver?
            didint mean to leave them out. the point of my post was to focus on the return of Coach, Duggan and Knight. i think we're all excited for the additonal new young talent we have coming in
            even if you're on the right path, you'll get run over if you just sit there

Comment

I most excited about Johnson coming back as coach. Going from winning the NCAA championship one season to not even making the playoffs the next is a difficult one to take.

Comment

Badgers are holding their Banquet tonight. Sadly I could not attend this year as I am out of town..

Hopefully There will be a release on the site about it soon!

Some of the other Banquet Releases have taken a week or better to come out.
                The WCHA Dynasty
                Wisconsin
                National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

I'm very excited for the return of the Olympians as well.

Last season's team might not have had the talent to win the national championship, but they were a lot better than a team splitting w/ the lesser teams in the conference every weekend, barely getting home ice for the WCHA playoffs, and then promptly being swept by Ohio State to end their season, and remove any chance of an NCAA bid.

That was an NCAA tourney team that underperformed (and IMHO was poorly coached), Mark Johnson won't allow such a thing to occur, they'll be back on top this coming season!!!
                  Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                  Originally posted by UWisco
                  It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                    I'm very excited for the return of the Olympians as well.

Last season's team might not have had the talent to win the national championship, but they were a lot better than a team splitting w/ the lesser teams in the conference every weekend, barely getting home ice for the WCHA playoffs, and then promptly being swept by Ohio State to end their season, and remove any chance of an NCAA bid.

That was an NCAA tourney team that underperformed (and IMHO was poorly coached), Mark Johnson won't allow such a thing to occur, they'll be back on top this coming season!!!
                    How were they poorly coached? Curious....

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...042010aaa.html
                      eam USA women’s hockey silver medalist and Wisconsin senior-to-be Meghan Duggan threw out the ceremonial first pitch of the Boston Red Sox-Tampa Bay Rays MLB game at Fenway Park on Monday.

Duggan was joined on the field by eight of her Team USA teammates, including returning UW junior-to-be Hilary Knight and former Badgers Erika Lawler and Jessie Vetter. The athletes wore their Team USA jerseys and their silver medals around their necks.

Duggan also pitched in front of a squad of friends and family, dubbed Team Duggan, before a sellout Patriots Day crowd of 37,609.

The post-Olympic Games tour for Team USA’s women’s hockey team has already included a trip back to The Ellen Show to visit with Ellen DeGeneres. The squad also plans to go to Washington, D.C., to visit the White House and President Barack Obama on Wednesday.

Duggan and Knight will return to Madison in 2010 for their senior and junior seasons, respectively, while Team USA head coach Mark Johnson also returns to coach the Badgers for the 2010-11 season.

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...042110aaa.html
                        The Wisconsin women’s hockey team, who finished 18-13-3 overall and 15-12-1 in the WCHA, held its annual end-of-the-year banquet on Friday, April 16. The Badgers looked back on the season, celebrated the senior class and handed out team awards which were voted on by the team.

Five players were rewarded for their efforts during the 2009-10 season which included Brooke Ammerman as offensive player of the year and freshman Stefanie McKeough as the defensive player of the year.

Brianna Decker was named rookie of the year and the Badger Award for the team’s most inspiring player went to Geena Prough. Senior captain Jasmime Giles earned the Jeff Sauer Award for being the most dedicated player. The senior class consisted of Giles, Kyla Sanders, Alannah McCready and Emily Kranz.

Comment

Maybe I've missed this, but have the captains been named for the 2010-2011 season? It seems like Duggan and Knight are locks, but who else? I hope Mallory Delluce is the other as she probably should have been last year.

Also, anyone know the assistant coach situation? UW posted an opening for a position which leads me to believe that only Tracy will be back from last year's staff.

Comment

Nice honor for Decker. Alex Rigsby is a nice addition, but Becca Ruegsegger is an excellent goaltender and will not be easily surplanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                              Maybe I've missed this, but have the captains been named for the 2010-2011 season? It seems like Duggan and Knight are locks, but who else? I hope Mallory Delluce is the other as she probably should have been last year.

Also, anyone know the assistant coach situation? UW posted an opening for a position which leads me to believe that only Tracy will be back from last year's staff.
                              I havent heard/read anything offical about whom the '10-'11 captains will be.

Comment

Working...
                              X