X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey: Off Season 2010

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    Couple tid bits from GWH:

Congrats to TO...I guess we know what this means.

Congrats indeed!
    Does this mean Natalie D comes right back into coaching again?

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
      As fas as I know, Natalie plans on returning for 2010-2011. That's as far as I know...not to be confused with anything definitive, or fact.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
        BTW - it was good to meet you in Minny at the FF
        Likewise DC.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
          That was the plan at the time she left -- Coach Osiecki was an interim assistant -- and when I spoke to people at the banquet, it was still the plan. Someone with the number of connections that Natalie Darwitz possesses is going to have many opportunities, so it's always possible that her plans could change. Programs like Wisconsin, where Mark Johnson had Koch and Cornell as assistants for his first seven years, seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=3391702
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Crickets...I'm hearin' crickets.

Nobody...nothin'...anyone?

Alrighty, great opportunity for coach TO...no doubt about it. Congrats to coach Osiecki, he'll be a big asset to USA Hockey just as he was for Minnesota.

My other thoughts rest with the Gophers. The Gophs have always had quality people behind the bench, even amidst the frequent comings and goings at the asst. positions. I don't have any doubts along those lines as far as replacement(s) go. I'd just like to see a little more stability with the asst. coaches. Along with quality / skill...particularly when recruiting responsibilities come into play, I think having someone with the staff on a longer term basis is also good for a program, especially a program with a tradition like Minnesota.

Women's collegiate hockey does seem to have a pretty high pct. of staff turnover. Maybe a byproduct of relative infancy of the sport...among some other things.

So now we wait with great anticipation on Captains and coaches.
              Last edited by brookyone; 05-28-2010, 10:28 AM.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Women's collegiate hockey does seem to have a pretty high pct. of staff turnover. Maybe a byproduct of relative infancy of the sport...among some other things.
                The main one probably being typical salary levels being paid to assistant college coaches, especially on the womens' side...

Unless you have (realistic) aspirations of becoming a head coach, and assuming you don't have other more lucrative sources of income/assets from which to draw, you are probably going to take a serious look at other careers before too much time goes by. At least I would if I were in that situation.

I have to think this (at least in part) contributes to all the assistant coaches turnover we're seeing, and this year is no exception.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  The main one probably being typical salary levels being paid to assistant college coaches, especially on the womens' side...

Unless you have (realistic) aspirations of becoming a head coach, and assuming you don't have other more lucrative sources of income/assets from which to draw, you are probably going to take a serious look at other careers before too much time goes by. At least I would if I were in that situation.

I have to think this (at least in part) contributes to all the assistant coaches turnover we're seeing, and this year is no exception.
                  Its probably the first time ever that half or more of the WCHA schools are replacing one or more assistant coaches in an offseason.

Its funny that the only names Ive heard rumored for the Wisconsin Vacancy is Natalie Darwitz who I doubt is coming here and Lawler who will be a Student Assistant this year (or so I am told). I am sure we will know something soon as Peter Johnson's last day was yesterday.

Have not heard a rumor yet on the Minnesota, UND, or Ohio State Openings which seems really odd but I am not too surprised given the influx of names available.
                  The WCHA Dynasty
                  Wisconsin
                  National Championships: 2011,2009,2007,2006; Runners Up: 2012, 2008
                  MOP Winners: Bauer (07), Duggan (11), Knight (11), Vetter (06, 09)

Minnesota
                  National Championships: 2012, 2005, 2004, 2000 (AWCHA); Runners Up: 2006
                  MOP Winners: Darwitz (05), Killewald (00), Raty(12), Wendell (04)

Minnesota-Duluth
                  National Championships: 2010, 2008, 2003, 2002, 2001; Runners Up: 2007
                  MOP Winners: Blais (10), Martin (08), Ouellette (03), Rooth (01)

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

I'm sure this is a big factor indeed, the primary "other thing" I had in mind.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=204954010
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The 2010-2011 roster...give ya some time to memorize the fine freshman class jersey #s.

http://www.gophersports.com/SportSel...RINTABLE_PAGE=

Edit: Baylee Gillanders listed as a forward?
                        Last edited by brookyone; 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-3...ssistant-coach
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The 2010-2011 roster...give ya some time to memorize the fine freshman class jersey #s.

http://www.gophersports.com/SportSel...RINTABLE_PAGE=

Edit: Baylee Gillanders listed as a forward?
                            Looks like it was just a typo....listed as D now

I wonder they did for Jalosuo in order to free up #8 for Kessel

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                              Looks like it was just a typo....listed as D now

I wonder they did for Jalosuo in order to free up #8 for Kessel
                              My guess is Frost said, "Amanda Kessel is going to be #8. Here's the choices you have, what # do you want?"

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                                My guess is Frost said, "Amanda Kessel is going to be #8. Here's the choices you have, what # do you want?"
                                I would hope not. Know for a fact that approach caused later grief in other programs.

Comment

Working...
                                X