Clear All

• UMD offseason - 2010

Let's get it started.

Re: UMD offseason - 2010

Cue music....

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/4098810/..._Party_Started

Comment

I have never been to Duluth. I do see certain members of the forum poking fun at the City, wryly commenting that "Calgary...is the Canadian version of Duluth." This got me wondering how anyone could possibly imply that they are one in the same.

Further investigation showed me that Duluth has been ranked in the "Top Ten" of "America's Greatest Outside Towns." by Outdoor Magazine.

Here is an excerpt...

“Take the ten best outdoorsy communities we found, explored and scrutinized,” writes Outside Magazine correspondent Mike Grudowki, “places where the miles of single track far exceed the miles of six-lane beltway, where you can stroll or pedal to the farmers market, where the arts scene doesn’t stop at the multiplex, where you don’t have to count the number of garages from the corner to tell which house is yours….Places that no one could mistake for Anywhere.”

Seems the detractors were right...Calgary also has a huge outdoorsy community and considers itself a 4 season community. In this regard they are correct in assuming that Calgary and Duluth could be one and the same.

They oughta think about that the next time they are inching along the six-lane belt way of their urban jungles.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
        I have never been to Duluth. I do see certain members of the forum poking fun at the City, wryly commenting that "Calgary...is the Canadian version of Duluth." This got me wondering how anyone could possibly imply that they are one in the same.

They oughta think about that the next time they are inching along the six-lane belt way of their urban jungles.
        It reminds of the grade school years, when the people that picked on you really had a big crush on you but didn't have the emotional maturity to express it. Yeah....that's it!

Duluth is fan-freakin' tastic, 5'er. We have the.most.beautiful.lake. of all time. We have oh, say 20 minutes of rush hour traffic. And even that is stretching it a bit. Lots of trails and green spaces to spend time outside when the rest of the world is trapped in their cars on the interstate. People here are generally "Minnesota nice" in the way that you hear it talked about on "A Prairie Home Companion" by Garrison Keillor and will give you the shirt off your back. It's akin to the way I have always been treated in Canada on my frequent visits. Oh, did I mention we have an amazing women's hockey team? (Um... 5 Natty's in 10 years... but I don't want to gloat!) You are welcome here anytime. We'll proudly fly the maple leaf for your arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by skatefast View Post
          It reminds of the grade school years, when the people that picked on you really had a big crush on you but didn't have the emotional maturity to express it. Yeah....that's it!

Duluth is fan-freakin' tastic, 5'er. We have the.most.beautiful.lake. of all time. We have oh, say 20 minutes of rush hour traffic. And even that is stretching it a bit. Lots of trails and green spaces to spend time outside when the rest of the world is trapped in their cars on the interstate. People here are generally "Minnesota nice" in the way that you hear it talked about on "A Prairie Home Companion" by Garrison Keillor and will give you the shirt off your back. It's akin to the way I have always been treated in Canada on my frequent visits. Oh, did I mention we have an amazing women's hockey team? (Um... 5 Natty's in 10 years... but I don't want to gloat!) You are welcome here anytime. We'll proudly fly the maple leaf for your arrival.
          O ya, the Natty's...that has really got to get under the skin of the naysayers. Beauty!

I'm going to scratch out Minneapolis (the support system for a Mall) and pencil in Duluth on my "favorite places to visit" bucket list.

Much more appealing to go to a place with winners...instead of losers.

C ya down the road.

Comment

O ya, the Natty's...that has really got to get under the skin of the naysayers. Beauty!

I'm going to scratch out Minneapolis (the support system for a Mall) and pencil in Duluth on my "favorite places to visit" bucket list.

Much more appealing to go to a place with winners...instead of losers.

C ya down the road.
            In Canada, flying into T-bay might be the best way get there.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
              In Canada, flying into T-bay might be the best way get there.
              Looks like a nice 5 hr. drive from T Bay to Duluth heading South on the King's Highway with the "Big Lake they call Gitche Gumee" on one side and the Superior Natural forest on the other. A definate must see methinks.

Ever been OnMAA?

Comment

Looks like a nice 5 hr. drive from T Bay to Duluth heading South on the King's Highway with the "Big Lake they call Gitche Gumee" on one side and the Superior Natural forest on the other. A definate must see methinks.

Ever been OnMAA?
                5 Hours. You drive like Gramma ?.

Previously had visions of getting out of the way of a big honking truck when you come barrelling down the road. No such worries now

I was once not too far from there rounding lake superior and the missus (at the time fiance) went something like...."Where the hell are we going, there is nothing anywhere near here"....As an outdours type was in my element...I could see this drive being a long one on a wintery day if the wind is blowing in from the lake.

......One of my friends is from Smooth Rock Falls....Always bug him that he is from the Rock near Nowhere. Great hunting country though in the land north of Algoma.
                Last edited by OnMAA; 04-05-2010, 01:20 PM. Reason: Sp.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                  5 Hours. You drive like Gramma ?.

Previously had visions of getting out of the way of a big honking truck when you come barreling down the road. No such worries now
                  LMAO!

Well looks like a beautiful part of the world...no sense in white knuckling er down the road. It's not like I'd be driving through Saskatchewan where it takes me less than 4.5 hours to get across...with a good tail wind.

Comment

I fly out of TBay a lot when traveling to and fro in Canada. Lot's cheaper that way. And TBay is gorgeous, amazing, and loads of fun. Sibley Pennisula, Sleeping Giant, great people. Also: HALEY IRWIN.

Also, I can get to Tbay for paddle practice in about 4 hours. There's that pesky time zone change as for some reason, TBay feels the need to be on Toronto time.

Oh, and we laugh at peeps in convertibles because who lives in Minnesota and drives a car they can only use for a week out of the year? It sorta reminds me of when the "Citiots" come up to the big lake when it's 80 degrees (26 C) there (all that asphalt and ally) and get here and it's 50 (10 C) and you watch them in Canal Park (tourist shopping area) scrambling for sweatshirts.

Comment

Originally posted by skatefast View Post
                      Oh, and we laugh at peeps in convertibles because who lives in Minnesota and drives a car they can only use for a week out of the year?
                      I do. One week a year...righto. Can drive 'em year round if you want. Do you laugh at the motorcyclists too? Who would own one of those in Minnesota?

Tourists spending money shopping in Duluth...those citiots, don't want them around do we.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by just_a_fan View Post
                        Cue music....
                        Thank you for your latest disapproval rep...unsigned as per the norm.

http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=101
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                          Thank you for your latest disapproval rep...unsigned as per the norm.

http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=101
                          You're welcome. You obviously haven't checked your email associated w/ the forum because it's the first thing I did after I hit send.... I sent you an email claiming it and begging forgiveness for forgetting to sign it.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                            I do. One week a year...righto. Can drive 'em year round if you want. Do you laugh at the motorcyclists too? Who would own one of those in Minnesota?

Tourists spending money shopping in Duluth...those citiots, don't want them around do we.
                            Skatefast, meet BrookyOne. He's really actually a lovable creature. Just a bit bristly on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by just_a_fan View Post
                              Skatefast, meet BrookyOne. He's really actually a lovable creature. Just a bit bristly on the outside.
                              Ya, look what the cat drug in....

Comment

Working...
                              X