Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
    from a pure job performance perspective only and i assume this is what you meant because in anything else in life they are NOTHING alike. York is a prince and the other guy is a scum bag, IMO. piece of dirt
    There's no guy I'd want coaching my alma mater's hockey team than York and no coach I'd want coaching my football team than Belichick.

Comment

But in my comparison, whatever BC basketball did pales in comparison to what BC hockey has done. The basketball team has not won a national championship.
      And anything the football team has done pales in comparison with the accomplishments of the sailing team. Time to stop putting money into Alumni Stadium and build a new sailing facility!!!!

Look, I love hockey and wouldn't even mind rooting for a one-trick pony school if the one trick was hockey. That said, BC basketball probably brings in more money and publicity in a .500 year than BU hockey did by winning the national championship last year.
      BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
      -
      Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
        BC basketball probably brings in more money and publicity in a .500 year than BU hockey did by winning the national championship last year.
        Ding ding, exactly.

The sad truth is that no one cares about hockey, let alone college hockey.

Put it this way. Commercials on NCAA bouncyball are more expensive than any other sporting event save the Super Bowl. Wachovia pays UNC $1m a year to put their logo on a courtside table. KU earned $2.5m just on licensing revenue following their recent championship. And that's nothing compared to football - Texas football turned a $65m profit last year.

Just remember this - the cost of one courtside ad at UNC (for the season) s about the same amount of profit the NCAA makes on the Frozen Four.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...496_page_3.htm
        Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
          There's no guy I'd want coaching my alma mater's hockey team than York and no coach I'd want coaching my football team than Belichick.
          Aren't you forgetting Tom O'Brien?

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
            I wonder how much of his success has been the new Goggin center. If you look at his first six years, he was mediocre, with one good season (23-14-4). In 2004 they broke ground on the Goggin, and since 2005-2006 they haven't been worse than ten games over .500.

I don't know the reason for the sudden jump in performance. It could be the arena itself, it could be a larger University commitment to hockey of which the new arena was just the most visible symptom, or it could be Rico.

What is impressive about York is that he achieves so much success in an aging arena, on a campus where hockey is 3rd fiddle.
            I think it's a combination of the arena, school and coach. No doubt the new arena helped Miami attract better quality players to the school. Building the new arena shows the commitment from the university. Then you need the coaching staff to sign, seal and deliver the better recruits. The coaching staff must also know what to do with those thoroughbreds.

Obviously, Rico and Jerry, among others, know how to coach the high end talent they have. You don't consistently get to the level they get their teams to each year without the horses.

Give these coaches mid level talent and they will probably get them to play above their heads and be competitive with anyone, but to consistently be in the hunt for a National Championship, you've go to have high end talent.
            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
              Here's a little more...ironic timing.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...us-620656.html
              When was the last time Miami of Ohio was in the top 10 for football.

Their last NCAA win in basketball? Wally World?
              Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                York is like college hockey's version of Bill Belichick (post season success, etc) and Blasi reminds me of Josh McDaniel (young gun, rising star)
                i cringe reading York and bellicheat in the same sentence.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                There certainly are some good young coaches out there. Blasi and Sneddon impress me. Not a fan of Sneddon's system, though.
                Sneddon is always a name i think of when someone asks if BU would look at a non-BU guy once Jack takes full time naps. i'd also think that he tries to win his way with the guys he has to bring in. if he was given the 'hand of God' job at bc and was able to pick and choose which high talent smurfs he wanted, there is no way he would trap.
                (though whether then he would be able to win or not, your guess is as good as mine.) Jerry is certainly in a small group who fits the- "He can take his'n and beat you'n, and he can take your'n and beat his'n."
                Last edited by mookie1995; 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

[QUOTE=mookie1995;4734925]i cringe reading York and bellicheat in the same sentence.

yup

Comment

Screw York, the best coach in history is clearly Roger Grillo. (LOL)
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post

Ben's senior year Miami (13-1) was 10th in one poll and, I believe 11 in the other. Was that like 2003? '99 was the last b ball NCAA win.

This came out today, by the way:

http://www.muredhawks.com/sports/m-h...040210aab.html

Comment

Originally posted by yuber View Post
                        At least on our end of Commonwealth Ave, there was no debate about which sport was more important at Agganis Arena. Its a hockey venue....pure and simple.
                        This one's sailing up to the plate like one of Al Nipper's old "fastballs".
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post

Top 10 in football and we won the GMAC Bowl I'll have you know. There is a reason why Miami dropped everything and ran with hockey once it took off, even when football and basketball weren't neglected they still stunk.

Comment

Aside from the obvious disparity between the college football/basketball duopoly and hockey, Jerry York is a perfect ambassador for the school and the sport. His players are in the same classy mold, and the whole package makes me proud to be fan of college hockey and BC. No, I didn't attend BC (my Dad was a Double Eagle), but I've adopted the Eagles as my favorite college sports program.

Ideally, the search for a new basketball coach should center around finding the next Jerry York.
                            Chris V
                            Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by yuber View Post
                              Ok...I happpen to like Coach Skinner. I think he did a pretty good job. But in my comparison, whatever BC basketball did pales in comparison to what BC hockey has done. The basketball team has not won a national championship.

That's the basis of my comparison. If I hurt feelings by calling the basketball team "mediocre", excuse my poor choice of words. You're right, they've had some pretty good teams. But York's hockey teams have been better.
                              We'll never win a basketball championship, IMHO, as we'll never win a football championship. While we've been a consistent second round NCAA Bracket team (and consistent bowl team in D-1A yet failing to make a BCS bowl), Skinner does not have the total package to compete consistently against the UNC's, Duke's, Michigan States on a regular basis. In football our SoS is damaging to a trip to a BCS bowl; losing Obie hurt the program.

This season, in hoops, there have been a bunch of upsets. Honestly, I see Duke (a #1 seed) winning yet another championship.

Comment

York has built a program from the ashes of Cedorcuk, Skinner has had a few nice teams. York now has one of the three best programs in the country, NoDak is one, not sure who the other is, maybe Michegan.

Comment

Working...
                                X