UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

I was fortunate enough last night to find a friend's house who has the NHL package, so I was able to watch the game. Figured he would get about 7-8 min of ice time and he got 9 so that was about normal. What was crazy to see, though, was the amount of face time he and his family got. The Ottawa broadcast opened with a shot of Bob in the locker room staring at his jersey in amazement. They also showed a shots of him taping his stick and then skating around in warmups as well as a number of shots of his family in the stands. Right before puck drop, they showed him sitting on the bench with a look on his face that was basically "how the hell did I get here?"
    His first few shifts he definitely looked nervous, but as the game went on, he got more comfortable. During the third period he had a number of chances including the one just mentioned that was just out of his reach. There was also a great sequence in which he one a puck battle on the boards, ducked a check and gained the zone before putting a great shot on net. He definitely looked like he belonged out there.
    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
      For starters, let's get rid of this division between "the Hosers" and "Keith B's contingent
      Are "The Hosers" the official fan club for UNH or just a bunch of students?
      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

I saw this on the news today. No UNH hockey content, but I think it's pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX7nQrCgALM

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
          Are "The Hosers" the official fan club for UNH or just a bunch of students?
          It's just a group of fans who refer to themselves as the Hosers, and who generally lead the cheers in the student section at games.
          113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
            It's just a group of fans who refer to themselves as the Hosers, and who generally lead the cheers in the student section at games.
            Hosers? Like the movie "Strange Brew"? Awesome.
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

The "Hosers" are also the "cowbell crew" - the group of students behind and to the side of the opposing goalie, rocking the glass with witty signs and inside humor. They added a lot to my experiences down front at the Whit, and really sparked my interest in the behind-the-scenes stuff, like who's from where, who did what first, and who's gonna beat up who's momma. Okay, exaggerating on that last one. But they're avid hockey fans to a man (or woman, in 29's case) and very intelligently vocal.

Standing: tradition from Snively borne of necessity, transferred to Whit out of adoration. I don't think standing is absolutely NECESSARY for the students, but man, did it make the lines better from that blasted corner!

Cheering: I get that "You Suck" and "B#tch" was an NU thing - the former during the goal song and the latter after a penalty. How are you gonna tell the jumped up 'roid-rager next to you that "We don't say that"? I'm getting a black eye just thinking about it. Perhaps an alternative to these family-unfriendly words could/should be offered?

Fan participation: I have to say, was thrilled to have Dot call and tell us "fans don't come to games to cheer." I don't think I need to say anything more about that...
              Originally posted by state of hockey
              Tecate tonight. Haha!
              Originally posted by state of hockey
              Ugh. That was a bad idea.
              Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                If we spent as much time organizing and cheering as we do in disputes like these, the RIT Corner Crew would be our *****.
                Sorry to pop in but I was just wondering if you realized that RIT has 15,000 students not to mention our city is much larger than Durham. So while I haven't ever seen UNH at home or any other time for that matter I kinda doubt that you could dominate the Corner Crew. You might be able to put up a good section that might be even a little bit bigger, but I kinda doubt it "would be your *****". Just sayin...
                RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by WildKitty View Post
                  Perhaps an alternative to these family-unfriendly words could/should be offered?
                  Tried it (goon, hack).

Typical reply is that "it's tradition!"

These students don't come regularly, and when they do they hear "you suck" or "b***h," and they assume that's the way it's always been.

The key is to get them as freshmen and teach 'em the right way.
                  113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by Mania View Post
                    Sorry to pop in but I was just wondering if you realized that RIT has 15,000 students not to mention our city is much larger than Durham. So while I haven't ever seen UNH at home or any other time for that matter I kinda doubt that you could dominate the Corner Crew. You might be able to put up a good section that might be even a little bit bigger, but I kinda doubt it "would be your *****". Just sayin...
                    FNGs.
                    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by Mania View Post
                      It was brought up to light a fire under their ***, no ill will intended. Quite fond of the things you guys do, stumbled across the site during one of your last years in DIII and have peaked in from time to time - keep up the good work.
                      "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                      Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                      NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                      EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                      AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                      1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

now that the flamefest is out of the way...

I think we are back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                          My idea to have the bell played and the cheers led by students...
                          FWIW, the bell hasn't been played by a student since before 1998, as Adam never went to UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                            Hosers? Like the movie "Strange Brew"? Awesome.
                            Yeah, a group of us stumbled upon finding the genius of Bob and Doug McKenzie some years ago and we've been running with it ever since
                            The Hoser Blog: Possibly the greatest internet find....ever

Originally posted by unh_hockey
                            Unfortunately, all the accusations against Mr. Rougier are accurate. he's been indited twice on operating in illegal drug and gambling rings in Newark NJ, Tampa Fl, and even in Hong Kong. Caught twice by inter pol, he's somehow managed to escape and post evil rumors on a college hockey board. I have taken proper measures to contact the FBI.

Comment

Personally, I think standing in the student section is imperative. I watched the North Dakota series with the Hosers a couple of years ago, and I stood. Considering I haven't been a student in.....ummm........16 years now. Ouch!
                              AKA Boguniecki 33 on the road, except at UMass Amherst, and Magness Arena, where I can't get enough of Mowers, Mowers, you s**k!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                I saw this on the news today. No UNH hockey content, but I think it's pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX7nQrCgALM
                                That was terrific.. UNH now has a new song to play during intermissions!!

Originally posted by Mowers10 View Post
                                I watched the North Dakota series with the Hosers a couple of years ago, . Ouch!
                                Ouch is right.. North Dakota and the Hosers.. what was the score of that one?!!
                                GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Working...
                                X