Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

Originally posted by billb View Post
    I do know that we should never underestimate the extent to which people will go to feel relevant.
    Like continuously harping on a coach's wardrobe, and relating that to on-ice performance?
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by WildKitty View Post
      Are you saying he thinks he should tone it down, or you think he should tone it down?

I'm curious about which aspects of the hockey announcing at UNH you think are bad. I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I happen to disagree with you, personally (although I've been right on the glass the whole time I've been going to games, which is not conducive to hearing announcements). It is an extremely scripted position, and what he says is usually right off the page. And if his script writer is the same as for gymnastics, any word problems are not his fault. Can't be worse than that time when we waited ... and waited... and kept waiting to find out who scored. I forget where that was, but it was recently this season. (See, my memory is why people don't want me to try and do research for my Big Screen idea...) Maybe another faithful will remember and help me out here.

The gymnastics announcer was asked to encourage the fans at events by a member of the athletic department, to improve the atmosphere and remind fans that making noise is okay. He never got an official job description, so there's no way of saying "It's in his job description" or not, but I think being asked by a higher-up in athletics to do something kinda puts it in the job description, right?

So why not do this in hockey?

The thing with the hockey announcer is, since hockey's such a money-maker, the people on top have more interest in it, and therefore take more control and make more decisions. Gymnastics announcer wasn't completely autonomous, but the good suggestions weren't being quashed by "upstairs", either. Hockey announcer is being meddled with to get back at the fans. Whether he thinks making announcements about cheering is his job or not, he probably wouldn't do it anyways, just to save grief from upstairs.

As for toning it down... what is there to tone down? I thought we were trying to INCREASE the energy at the Whitt!
      I think he (not we) should tone down the phony/exaggerated inflections. Be a little less like your average NBA PA guy.

There are so many other things, I'll give you a few.

It IS a scripted position, but he's off script all the time. When you introduce the opposing team, tell me the:

A) Position
      B) Class (Fresh, soph, etc.)
      C) Where from?
      D) Number
      E) Name

In other words, the same way UNH players are introduced. Sometimes he does this, sometimes he doesn't.

When announcing a goal or a penalty, there absolutely should be a script, but he does it differently all the time. Sometimes he announces goals right after they're scored and doesn't announce assists. Maybe it's because he's excited? I don't know, but I'd rather he waits a minute to get it right.

When a player scores, tell me how many he's got! UNH is the only arena (college or pro) that I've been to where the PA guy doesn't tell you what number goal that is on the season. (they used to when the old PA guy was there). Something like....

"UNH goal, his 20th of the season, scored by #12 Bobby Butler. Assisted by....."

The whole "1-2-3-4 We want more!" cheer is dying. I know it's easier to yell "You Suck!" than it is to count, but it makes it harder to get it going when you have NO IDEA when the PA guy is going to stop.

Announcing out of town scores like "in Orono, it's Maine three Boston College five" makes me cringe.

There's other stuff too, but I've rambled enough. I know some of it may sound nitpicky, but when I add it all up, the guy is a bad PA announcer. It's nothing personal, but I'd just like to see him (or someone else) be a bit more professional about it.
      Are you guys brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
        I'm going to call BS on some of this. Yes, I am sure that more students leave early than 6-8 years ago, but there are still students who get to the games early (before warm-ups even), and stay until the end.
        You can think what you want, but I've stood at the top of the section since my frosh year whenever the band didn't play, and pretty much exclusively since I left the band.

I've never seen the amount of early departures as I have the past couple years. And I'm not just guessing as to their destination. I've heard these groups tell others they were leaving for a party, or that they had to go "play some 'Rut."
        113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
          they had to go "play some 'Rut."
          Who knew Rut would become the downfall of UNH Hockey!

The place has become way to PC and corporate, and this is the administration's fault. No more Black Betty, discouraging the "You Suck" chant, turning the fish throw into an advertisement, etc. I use to be pretty loud (season ticket holder in section 106), can't tell you how many times I got dirty looks or comments (even a confrontation or two) because of my "interest" in the game. After awhile you tone it down so you can live with your fellow season ticket holders. Also I am much older now (this will be my 16th year as a season ticket holder), so probably time for "younger" adults to pick it up a bit.
          GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
            You can think what you want, but I've stood at the top of the section since my frosh year whenever the band didn't play, and pretty much exclusively since I left the band.

I've never seen the amount of early departures as I have the past couple years. And I'm not just guessing as to their destination. I've heard these groups tell others they were leaving for a party, or that they had to go "play some 'Rut."
            Again, I AGREE WITH YOU, but you make it sound like the entire student section is empty until midway through the 1st, and empties out completely by the start of the third.

This is flat-out NOT TRUE.

There are a good number of students who get to the game before puck drop. How many of them actually stay until the final buzzer? I'm not sure. The simple fact that they are there before the game starts shows that there are some students out there that just might care enough about hockey to treat it as more than a social event.
            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
            -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              Just got an advanced schedule (always subject to change) today. UNH plays at Miami the first weekend of the season, October 8 & 9. Closest airport is Cincinnati, then (from what I've been told) a 45 minute drive to campus. UNH hosts Michigan for one game the following weekend (Saturday,10/16), then plays one game at Cornell on Friday 10/29. Other OOC games are vs. St. Lawrence on Sunday, 1/2 (4PM start) and the Verizon game vs. Dartmouth on 1/15. BTW, that is the ONLY Verizon game listed on the schedule.

UNH plays 6 of their first 7 on the road, then 5 of their last 7 on the road. Considering their start this year, and their usual finish in most years, hosting the regionals in Manchester may be an irrelevant honor.
              From the Brown thread.
              Nov. 23 Tuesday at New Hampshire 7:00pm

Comment

Again, I AGREE WITH YOU, but you make it sound like the entire student section is empty until midway through the 1st, and empties out completely by the start of the third.
                I did not imply any such thing. My point, however, is that the early departures are increasing, and are far more than 8-9 years ago. It IS indicative of the general lack of interest in the student section these days.
                113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Braden View Post
                  I think he (not we) should tone down the phony/exaggerated inflections. Be a little less like your average NBA PA guy.

There are so many other things

There's other stuff too, but I've rambled enough. I know some of it may sound nitpicky, but when I add it all up, the guy is a bad PA announcer. It's nothing personal, but I'd just like to see him (or someone else) be a bit more professional about it.
                  Absolutement, e eez da ow you say SUCK.

Comment

I have to agree with Mr. Ambrose about the noise, but, then again, it seems to me that all major sporting events are marred by loud noise over the PA system when there's no play on. Is this necessary? No.
                    This is an odd discussion, maybe a reflection on the nature of the fans from different generations. At Snively there were few organized chants. The students then reacted spontaneously in their own way, and, for the most part, pandemonium ruled.
                    I can not understand why today's "fans/students" need to have scripted cheers, lest they sit on their hands until they leave early to avoid the rush, unless being at the game is more a proper activity to be seen doing than one to be done from passion.
                    I'm puzzled as to who benefits the most from the cheering section. Is it a parallel to the ubiquitous noise which is rammed into our ears between plays and periods, i.e., there can not be a lull in the "conversation?" I do know that we should never underestimate the extent to which people will go to feel relevant.
                    Very goods poste.

(Acorse da tards not gonna tink so, mais, oo care dey tards, n'est-ce pas?)

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      Right now the Whit is overrun by obnoxious rock music which saps the life out of the crowd.
                      Oui, juste when da play stoppe et da crowd gonna cheer, nah drown it outs wit ze music. Non ph'ing clue bout crowde dynamiques. Reetahrds. Compleetly

Comment

Like continuously harping on a coach's wardrobe, and relating that to on-ice performance?
                        Or like obnoxiously banging on a cowbell, to overstate the fact that he is a fan?
                        But, as an afterthought, having watched the post-game interviews with the players and coaches, I saw not one wearing the dreaded turtleneck and jacket combo. The clothes make the man, regardless of the generation from which you come.
                        Last edited by billb; 04-17-2010, 12:15 AM.
                        "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
                        Larry David

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
                          Very goods poste.

(Acorse da tards not gonna tink so, mais, oo care dey tards, n'est-ce pas?)
                          Oui c'est ça.
                          "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
                          Larry David

Comment

I'm puzzled as to who benefits the most from the cheering section.
                            You really don't think the team benefits from having a loud building? I mean really? Read some interviews. I remember Winnik saying about how he just couldn't quit (during a double OT qtr final game) because the fans just wouldn't. Who really wants to play in a place that is dead quiet?
                            UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                              You really don't think the team benefits from having a loud building? I mean really? Read some interviews. I remember Winnik saying about how he just couldn't quit (during a double OT qtr final game) because the fans just wouldn't. Who really wants to play in a place that is dead quiet?
                              Conte Forum may be the quietest building in the East and they just won a national championship. I think crowd noise is completely overrated and players on both sides tune that stuff out pretty quickly.
                              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Greg - thanks for that schedule update. Circling 10/16 - have been waiting for Michigan to come to the Whitt. Any idea who the other team is that they will be playing out East that weekend?

Comment

Working...
                                X