NCAA Ban on Advertising?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Ban on Advertising?

Why Does the keep up with a ban on advertising? I mean at every event up until the NCAA tournament advertisements are at every game. I mean if you watch the games on TV you see commercials. Why not allow advertising at the venues so that they can make more money and maybe have lower ticket prices.

Re: NCAA Ban on Advertising?

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
    Why Does the keep up with a ban on advertising? I mean at every event up until the NCAA tournament advertisements are at every game. I mean if you watch the games on TV you see commercials. Why not allow advertising at the venues so that they can make more money and maybe have lower ticket prices.
    I would be down for that if this were the case. $90 for a regional weekend seems so steep.
    Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
    Boston University '06/'08
    Yale University '13

Comment

I'd imagine they a) want to protect their brand, and b) might be worried about non-profit status issues.
      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
        I'd imagine they a) want to protect their brand, and b) might be worried about non-profit status issues.
        This is the exact answer...Brand identity is everything. People have questioned their non-profit status for years and this is exactly how they keep that status.

My question is how they go so corporate with football bowl games, even the national championship game, but every other sport is completely off limits.
        MICHIGAN STATE
        1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
          My question is how they go so corporate with football bowl games, even the national championship game, but every other sport is completely off limits.
          Because they don't control any aspect of the football bowl games, except the minimum standards for entry to said bowl games.

Try looking for an NCAA logo around the field or the stadium at any of them the next time bowl season rolls around. I can guaran-dang-tee they won't be present.
          UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
            Because they don't control any aspect of the football bowl games, except the minimum standards for entry to said bowl games.

Try looking for an NCAA logo around the field or the stadium at any of them the next time bowl season rolls around. I can guaran-****-tee they won't be present.
            And thats my point...why do they allow such freedom when their brand is so highly criticized (football). I would think they would try to earn every penny possible out of a tournament (hockey) that does not make as much $ as it possibly could.
            MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

This is the exact answer...Brand identity is everything. People have questioned their non-profit status for years and this is exactly how they keep that status.

That's only at the D-I level where there is no true NCAA Championship trophy, as the trophy is a combination of the old AP and Coaches trophy. Notice how they don't get the same NCAA Championship plaque like every other sport does D-1 through D-3.
              Bored kids+matches+vacant school= this http://dakleinbushteacher.shutterfly.com/438

Head half shaven for a week=Free
              NMU Vs. BGSU Tickets=Free
              Bottle of 5 o'clock-$8
              Shaving your head everytime Sigalet lets in a WILDCAT goal and having MOJO chant HALF-A-MULLET=Priceless

"Pat Bateman will eat your f*ing babies!!!"

05-06 A NEW GENERATION OF PUCKHEADS

Farmer JO official get away driver of Bell-Gate 05`

Comment

Originally posted by dankthetank View Post
                That's only at the D-I level where there is no true NCAA Championship trophy, as the trophy is a combination of the old AP and Coaches trophy. Notice how they don't get the same NCAA Championship plaque like every other sport does D-1 through D-3.
                I'm an MSU fan...we have to go back 40+ years for a football championship, but I know the basketball champion gets a crystal basketball, just like the football trophy...yet the basketball tournament doesnt have the same excessive advertising (outside televsion contract and commercials).

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi...0150370&Ref=V2
                Last edited by STATEdude3; 03-30-2010, 11:45 PM.
                MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

I mean if you watch the games on TV you see commercials.
                  Yeah, because the TV stations need to pay their bills.

Powers &8^]

Comment

The NCAA does the D1-AA football championship. There is no advertising on the field at those games.

A corporation called the BCS manages the D1-A football championship. Since a corporation handles it:
                    I. There's advertising out the wazoo.
                    2. The championship doesn't 'count' in the NCAA championship count
                    Three. The corporation hires lobbyists to ensure congressmen don't mess with the bowl system - where the players and winners are chosen by media votes and not a bracket.

Comment

I remember the days when there was no advertising at the hockey rinks. Not on the boards or in the ice. Personally, I hate the ads; visual pollution. So I like the clean look at the NCAA events.

The first year Wisconsin moved from their old arena ("The Coliseum") to their new place ("The Kohl Center"), there were no ads on the boards. The move was controversial (the team was moving from a facility where they were top dog to one in which they were second fiddle to basketball). The story was (don't know if it was true) that a promise of no ads for the first year was a bargining chip to help get Coach Jeff Sauer to accept the move. Apparently, he hated ads too.

Comment

And thats my point...why do they allow such freedom when their brand is so highly criticized (football). I would think they would try to earn every penny possible out of a tournament (hockey) that does not make as much $ as it possibly could.
                        Oh, the NCAA would love to be able to take over football's championship - but the bowls (and the colleges individually that get bowl money without the NCAA's involvement) won't let that happen.

With brand identity, just look at other big sporting events. The Olympics feature no on-ice or on-court or on-whatever advertising - like they NCAA, they have a select list of corporate partners that provide sponsorships and are in turn given exclusive rights to advertise on other mediums, but they protect their brand vigorously.

More commercialized products might be something like the UEFA Champions League, or the FIFA World Cup - they do indeed have advertisements, but the stuff you see on the sideline ad boards is always stuff only from FIFA or UEFA partners. Those partners are few in number and represent a very exclusive group, thus companies are willing to pony up big money to be a part of a small club - even if the actual opportunities to get the logo and brand out there are reduced.

For example, those events are powerful enough to compel stadiums to temporarily re-name themselves to host their events. In the 2006 World Cup, Allianz Arena was known as FIFA World Cup Stadium Munich because Allianz was not an official FIFA sponsor. Conversely, the 2010 World Cup in South Africa will feature games at Coca Cola Park, which will not have to temporarily change its name because Coke is a FIFA partner already.
                        "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                          I remember the days when there was no advertising at the hockey rinks. Not on the boards or in the ice. Personally, I hate the ads; visual pollution. So I like the clean look at the NCAA events.

The first year Wisconsin moved from their old arena ("The Coliseum") to their new place ("The Kohl Center"), there were no ads on the boards. The move was controversial (the team was moving from a facility where they were top dog to one in which they were second fiddle to basketball). The story was (don't know if it was true) that a promise of no ads for the first year was a bargining chip to help get Coach Jeff Sauer to accept the move. Apparently, he hated ads too.
                          Meh, I don't mind the ads. I don't have a problem with ads at all so long as they're tastefully done.

Personally, the all-white boards never feels quite right to me. If you're not going to have ads, then some sort of wrap or cover is a good idea. The past two Olympics have had some cool logos on the boards - same with the Frozen Four (though they haven't done that for the regionals yet).

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                            More commercialized products might be something like the UEFA Champions League, or the FIFA World Cup - they do indeed have advertisements, but the stuff you see on the sideline ad boards is always stuff only from FIFA or UEFA partners. Those partners are few in number and represent a very exclusive group, thus companies are willing to pony up big money to be a part of a small club - even if the actual opportunities to get the logo and brand out there are reduced.
                            The Olympics are a good example also.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I don't think advertising will effect its non profit status. All it means to be a non profit organization is for it to not exist to make profit for individuals and/or a company. Here is example taking from wiki page "Whereas for-profit organizations exist to earn and re-distribute taxable wealth to employees and shareholders, the nonprofit corporation exists solely to provide programs and services that are of self-benefit". Honestly allowing adverstising will not effect its status anymore than when they auction off TV rights for the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Working...
                              X