Ford Field Rink Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Field Rink Installation

I posted this in another thread but I thought everyone might enjoy it not just those in the travel thread.

I am shocked with the first views of the rink at Ford Field. The CCHA is posting daily pictures of the construction. The first picture is from the concourse that will be behind the goal closest to the tunnel. I'm not going to judge until I'm in the building but this view does not look as bad as i expected.

http://www.ccha.com/Ford_Field_Rink_...ion_Day_1.aspx
    MICHIGAN STATE
    1966:1986:2007

Re: Ford Field Rink Installation

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
    I posted this in another thread but I thought everyone might enjoy it not just those in the travel thread.

I am shocked with the first views of the rink at Ford Field. The CCHA is posting daily pictures of the construction. The first picture is from the concourse that will be behind the goal closest to the tunnel. I'm not going to judge until I'm in the building but this view does not look as bad as i expected.

http://www.ccha.com/Ford_Field_Rink_...ion_Day_1.aspx
    I agree, it actually looks solid. Seats aren't going to be ridiculously far from the action...so it seems.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
      I agree, it actually looks solid. Seats aren't going to be ridiculously far from the action...so it seems.
      Well for all intent a purposes, the lower bowl is just an NHL setup except for the angle of the seats that face the 50 yard line. The difference will be the pitch of seats in the corners and the upper bowl, and for the high rollers in the suites. But the 12,000 or so in the lower bowl should have very good sight lines.
      MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Well for all intent a purposes, the lower bowl is just an NHL setup except for the angle of the seats that face the 50 yard line. The difference will be the pitch of seats in the corners and the upper bowl, and for the high rollers in the suites. But the 12,000 or so in the lower bowl should have very good sight lines.
        good to hear, thought there would be more distance there. But where are the risers going?
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
          good to hear, thought there would be more distance there. But where are the risers going?
          As I understand it the large risers will be on the East side of the rink (right side in the first picture). The risers on the West (left,behind the benches) side will only be about 10 rows deep and at a significantly lesser pitch which might lead to views of the back of heads.
          MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

The shot of the refrigeration truck is a bad omen in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamBC View Post
              The shot of the refrigeration truck is a bad omen in my book.
              yah... bc lost on that rink once already.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                yah... bc lost on that rink once already.
                Exactly. I assume those are the same boards too (since they have NESN/FSG/HE logos).

Comment

Exactly. I assume those are the same boards too (since they have NESN/FSG/HE logos).
                  I also see a bud light and NHLNetwork logo. 99.8% chance it is the same boards.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                    I also see a bud light and NHLNetwork logo. 99.8% chance it is the same boards.
                    Considering the ban on advertising, and how much the NCAA likes to pay for new courts in Men's BB, I'm surprised the NCAA didn't buy new boards for the Frozen Four.

Comment

Considering the ban on advertising, and how much the NCAA likes to pay for new courts in Men's BB, I'm surprised the NCAA didn't buy new boards for the Frozen Four.
                      They'll likely put covers over the advertising, it's what they do every year anyway.
                      time to write new history

Comment

The NCAA sells those floors to schools to put in their gyms. For example, Northern Iowa put in a bid for the floor used in the St. Louis regional. In the hockey sense, it would be a lot cheaper to just put new plastic advertising on the boards.
                        MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

They'll either be covering it with that stick on stuff they have used at the regionals or going with their classic NCAA designs in another fashion, no doubt about it.

However, the set up doesn't look nearly as 'lost in the desert' as I thought it might be. I'm not sure how they plan on putting risers on the short endzone without blocking the regular seats from the play, but we'll see. I'm not familiar with the stadium, do the upper levels go more vertical or horizontal away from the field? Will be interesting to see the view from up above.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                            However, the set up doesn't look nearly as 'lost in the desert' as I thought it might be. I'm not sure how they plan on putting risers on the short endzone without blocking the regular seats from the play, but we'll see. I'm not familiar with the stadium, do the upper levels go more vertical or horizontal away from the field? Will be interesting to see the view from up above.
                            For the 2003 "basketbowl" game between MSU and Kentucky, Ford Field build risers on a very low slope from the wall to the edge of the court. It looked as if the seating naturally continued. That is what the plan is on that side for the Frozen Four. There will be some views of the back of heads...
                            MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Two of the corners look fine but the other two will have you twisted in your seats. Right behind the nets will only be slightly better. There will be lots of complaints of sore necks, hips and backs after the games from those getting those seats.
                              Last edited by BC/HE; 03-30-2010, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X