Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ford Field Rink Installation

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    Two of the corners look fine but the other two will have you twisted in your seats. Right behind the netswill only be slightly better. There will be lots of complaints of sore necks, hips and backs after the games from those getting those seats.
    Having sat in those seats for many Lions' losses (<--unfortunate season ticket holder) I can tell you that it really is not as dramatic as it looks. Although the seats are angled in that direction, it looks more exaggerated than it really is. My regular seats are in section 130, approx directly across from the first photo.
    MICHIGAN STATE
    1966:1986:2007

Comment

As I posted in another thread, I took the Ford Field tour with other media during the CCHA tourney. We got to visit various seating sections and the view was quite good all around. The risers on the open side of the field will seat about 5,000 and also will have the TV camera positions. For those who complain about the sightlines for a building they've never been within 100 miles of, your concerns are far from reality. And for those who sit in the highest levels, be happy. Those are the 12,000 of you who wouldn't have been able to get a ticket were the event in a traditional NHL type arena.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The stands are surprisingly closer to the rink than the seating charts would have you think.

EDIT: Apparently I'm not the first person to mention this
        RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

What about the seats on the other side of the field? Will people have to look 100 yards to see the game?
          Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
          ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
            What about the seats on the other side of the field? Will people have to look 100 yards to see the game?
            Only if you really want to have a bad view.

The seating is just the one end zone- not the entire stadium. That has been pointed out numberous times.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamBC View Post
              The shot of the refrigeration truck is a bad omen in my book.
              I'll be honest, I giggled a little when I saw that truck.

Comment

Ok, for all of you saying "oh, that's not so bad" - have you never been to a football stadium? When they clearly said they were changing the location of the rink to one of the endzones, what else did you expect?

The possible configurations were downright predictable:

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=68795

#3 in that thread was the big winner:

*****http://lh5.google.com/image/alex.r.block/RiOgWAnZrDI/AAAAAAAAACc/HKZ2O42Ph1c/s800/endzone.jpg******

And that's a visualization from the last row of the upper deck.
                "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

I dont think the sight lines will be bad. What I do think will be bad is the acoustics. With all that space, it will be a very quiet building. Thinking about how loud Denver and Washington were, it'll sound like we're at a Pee Wee game with the lack of noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                    I dont think the sight lines will be bad. What I do think will be bad is the acoustics. With all that space, it will be a very quiet building. Thinking about how loud Denver and Washington were, it'll sound like we're at a Pee Wee game with the lack of noise.
                    I was at the East regional and with ~2000 or less RIT fans at each game, noise wasn't a problem even with the TUC at less than 25% capacity.

If I were in charge of this (and I couldn't outright move it to Joe Louis Arena) I'd throw a removable barrier down behind the far-side risers. It would help a lot to keep some of the noise in, and keep those in the endzone from having to stare into the great abyss of 40,000 empty seats.

Trust me though, us RIT fans will do all we can to make it as loud as possible

Comment

Originally posted by Swigger View Post
                      I was at the East regional and with ~2000 or less RIT fans at each game, noise wasn't a problem even with the TUC at less than 25% capacity.

If I were in charge of this (and I couldn't outright move it to Joe Louis Arena) I'd throw a removable barrier down behind the far-side risers. It would help a lot to keep some of the noise in, and keep those in the endzone from having to stare into the great abyss of 40,000 empty seats.

Trust me though, us RIT fans will do all we can to make it as loud as possible
                      There will be a curtain behind the risers. It will still allow a view of the replay board.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Swigger that is a good idea. I have been to concerts and trade shows at Ford Field that have had a massive curtain dividing the building. I agree that would help with sound and visually compressing things.

The only issue is the location of the jumbotrons. They are absolutely massive, but their location requires one to look to the other end of the field if you are sitting in the endzones.
                        Edit: Davy beat me to it!
                        Last edited by STATEdude3; 03-31-2010, 09:43 AM.
                        MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                          Ok, for all of you saying "oh, that's not so bad" - have you never been to a football stadium?
                          Yeah, Ford Field, a week ago Saturday, prior to the CCHA Championship game. Got the view from many different vantage points. Oh, that's not so bad. Actually, it's pretty good!

Comment

I don't think it will even approach ok for watching the game...atmosphere---maybe ok. An otherwise brutal decision-- the NCAA stickin it to every die-hard FF fan

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              Yeah, Ford Field, a week ago Saturday, prior to the CCHA Championship game. Got the view from many different vantage points. Oh, that's not so bad. Actually, it's pretty good!
                              I don't care, its still a football stadium. These 3 games are way too important to be decided on temporary ice in a giant half full stadium. I hope the FFFF flops big time.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Shirtless guy you do realize that this ice is just as temporary as the stuff in the NHL arenas that is removed for concerts and basketball and things like that, right? The game is indoors and the climate is controlled. I bet there will not be one single problem with the ice.

As for the venue...we went from a under 10k a year in providence, to 14k in Albany to 20k in DC. Is it really such a bad thing that the Frozen Four now sells out standard hockey venues. There is not a single arena that can match the demand or the Frozen Four. If there are 23k at Ford Field then the event is a success because it allowed the maximum amount of fans the opportunity to be a part of the championship.
                                MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Working...
                                X