No announcement yet.

Thanks for the Memories (WARNING: Long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanks for the Memories (WARNING: Long)

Thanks for the post, Bob. We don't get enough of those positive comments and thoughts on this site. You've been so much fun to watch and listen to over the years...please stay close to the college game...it needs you!

And if any of you think the post was good, get his book. http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Dad-Con...9979785&sr=8-2. (I can do the shameless plug...Bob has too much class to do it himself!)

Parent of a player or not, if you love the game of hockey, you'll read this book in a matter of a couple of days...great mix of humor, reality, stress, honesty, and nostalgia. Easily the best book I've read in a long time. Was required reading for my child's team's parents...made for a VERY fun year!

Thanks again, Bob. Don't be a stranger!
    Last edited by Slapshot08; 03-30-2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Great post, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences here. Amazing to hear it from the point of view of a parent and hockey personality like yourself.
      Boston University 2009 Champs
      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Well done, sir.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Wow. What a great post! Bob, like several others have said, just because your son is graduating doesn't mean you have to step out of the picture. Next Wednesday I'm leaving for my 12th Frozen Four, and I KNOW I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it, because, yes, I'm a Maine fan first, but a fan of the game a close second, and as such I thoroughly enjoy going to the FF and meeting fans from all over. Fans like you are what make that happen.

Comment

Incredible post. Thank you so much for sharing.
            "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Well done.

This is also a special to college hockey news.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

For those of you who don't know Bob, or his son Mike, I wanted to add a few comments and questions:

Comments:

Bob, and really his entire family, are huge fans of the game. The neat thing was how much he loves the game and his son does too. Mike was one of the most competitive players I have ever seen. He competed like few others.

One thing SLU does well is look at the character of the players they recruit; this leads not only to getting great kids, but also great parents since the apples don't fall far from the tree.

Bob mentions the first road trip, but not the first home game which came before that where Mike scored a big, beautiful goal against RIT. I don't think think there was any doubt from that point on that he could and would play...a lot! 100+ points later...

The last five minutes of that Clarkson game in the first round of the ECAC playoffs is a game every SLU fan will remember for a while (not just Bob). Mike, double-shifted himself (which he was known to do ) and made a great play drawing the defenders to him, passing the puck to Rick Carden for a one timer from the circle that tied the game. Then Mike paid a big price in front of the net to put in the game winner with a minute left. Against any team that is awesome, against Clarkson it is priceless. He forgot to mention that though Mike didn't score the goal in OT in game 1 of that series, he earned it.

Aside from the Clarkson series to close out his career at Appleton, one game I remember was Mike making a move to spark a come from behind win at UNH on a Sunday afternoon at the Whit...an incredible toe-drag and shot.

What is most incredible to me is that Bob was at pretty much every game. How he did that while balancing his Hockey Night and TSN obligations is hard to comprehend, but I am guessing that level of passion and commitment is why he has such great kids and the story of raising a college hockey player in the hot bed of hockey has never been told better than in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Dad-Con...9979665&sr=8-1

I read this book cover to cover in about 3 hours and really enjoyed it.

The truth is I have known lots of hockey parents (and hope to be one myself) but really got the best perspective ever from Bob and his book.

Truly, it was a pleasure having the McKenzies as part of the SLU hockey family. Not just for watching Mike on the ice, but for the passion and insight of his dad too.

Questions:

Why the hell didn't you convince Brendan Smith and some of those other St. Mike's kids to attend SLU with Mike?? Cogliano, Smith and company would have looked great in Scarlet and Brown!
                Last edited by Got 6, Want More; 03-30-2010, 03:58 PM.
                9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Sure wish the folks at ESPN who low-budget the tournament and in my mind, dismiss it as a nuisence rather than a great college sport would read that post with some objectivity. If they gave 1/4 of the attention to college hockey like they do the BB tournamnent, college hockey would become more visiable and popular to many college sport fans.

Thanks for a great post!
                  There is Hope . . .

Comment

Great post, Bob.

I've had conversations with several of the Cornell parents and they express the same feelings you did. It's nice to know the same sentiments grow at other ECAC schools. It speaks good for the Conference as a whole.

Good luck to you and Mike.
                    Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

WOW. Great read.

You are rightfully proud of your son and I am sure he feels the same of you.
                      "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                      Groucho Marx
                      "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                      Ron White
                      "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                      Milo Bloom

Comment

Great post, Bob.

If you thought Agganis was nice...you should check out some of the arenas further west.

Good luck to Mike in whatever his future after SLU holds!
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

good luck to Mike going forward, and I'll catch you on TSN on my directv during center ice games.

and thanks for sharing.
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to post this as I am glad I took the time to read it.Probably the best post I have ever read on here.Thanks again.
                            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Amen, Sir.

You've been one of my favorite hockey journalists through the years, as I've always appreciated the level-headed way you approach the sport and the fact you have always been more than willing to give college hockey it's due.

Excellent post, and as a longtime (but still fairly young) college hockey fan, you captured a lot of what makes this game so great. It's more than the sport itself, it's the people surrounding the sport, that make it such a huge and fulfilling part of our lives.
                              I love BC people - without them, everyone would want to move to Boston. They keep the numbers down. - Bill Simmons

Boston University: 2009 National Champions

Comment

Just an amazing post. So nice to read!

Comment

Working...
                                X