Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Dog Days of Summer 2010: All By Myself....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Dog Days of Summer 2010: All By Myself....

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    My sources indicate that it will be a Friday night / Saturday afternoon series
    So do mine. My sources are the Merrimack schedule that was posted earlier in the thread.
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

It's my understanding that the VBC has something to do with it.

GFM
      Well, you guys are now College Hockey Alabama (or so I have been hearing), so you might is well take the show out to the masses within the State.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
        Ok wait a sec...

...But Bobby Mo in B'ham??? Um, why? It's further and we're talking about a long time rival that's used to playing on our turf. What gives? We're coughing up a neutral site for what reason? I'm not exactly keen on getting stuck in B'ham traffic on a Friday or Saturday night, and I really don't want to spend the night there (or with my parents down off 280), nor does 6 hours of driving (1.5 each way, each game) to make two games make much economical sense when it should be a home game without some other incentive. None of the students are going to show. The only logical reason I can come up with is that the VBC is planning some major portion of the overhaul during the time frame and we need to minimize our presence for that.
        The VBC had everything to do with it. The IcePlex was the first place those games were going to been played... think about that for a few moments and I think you'll see that Bham is a better choice. I've got my photo platform between the benches in the IcePlex but after the Fire Marshall cuts off the home crowd at around 350... what were the other 2,000 or so fans going to do??? I know it's not ideal but hey, we may pick up a fan or two down there... Maybe even a UA club hockey fan or two. It'll be their first chance at seeing DI hockey in B'ham. (Terry will correct me if I'm wrong about DI hockey in Bham...)
        Doug
        UAH 1974
        Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
        Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
        Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
        Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
        Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Official announcement, including the press release from UAH SID. I'm waiting for Douglas to send me an email with a photo to finish that off.

GFM
          Photo delivered...
          Doug
          UAH 1974

Comment

Head Coach Chris Luongo's first press conference...
            The spotlight is on you now Couch Lou... Go get 'em!!!

*****http://www.knology.net/~dougeagan/HeadCoachLuongo-3s.jpg******
            I predict this will be a very popular pick amongst the players as well as the fans.
            Doug
            UAH 1974

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
              Photo delivered...
              Thanks, Doug.

I've updated the story a bit, especially with the dates of the MC series. Also, I did drop the other tidbit of news that I'd missed.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

This upsets me, I can't drive long distances anymore and my partying days are over, so no reason to buy season tickets anymore. I can imagine that the ticket prices will be a little elevated also, I don't like it at all! If I wanted to go see a Predators game I could go anytime! Let me tell you though, the traffic in Nashville is just as bad or worse than Birmingham on a Friday or Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                  Head Coach Chris Luongo's first press conference...
                  The spotlight is on you now Couch Lou... Go get 'em!!!

*****http://www.knology.net/~dougeagan/HeadCoachLuongo-3s.jpg******
                  I predict this will be a very popular pick amongst the players as well as the fans.
                  ****...That's what your local news uses for cameras??

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                    ****...That's what your local news uses for cameras??
                    Yeeeep.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

I work for the Huntsville Havoc and let me tell you it's been nuts with the renovations to the VBC. Less seats in the lower bowl because they are making them bigger, the end risers are different, the construction closes the office every once in a while. And all of it is not going to be finished by the time the Havoc and the Chargers seasons start. I don't know for sure, but I'm betting all the construction is the reason those games are in Birmingham. Hopefully the VBC looks awesome when all the construction is done lol.
                      "Great moments are born from great opportunities." -- Herb Brooks

Ohio State Women's Club Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by CammieBuckeye View Post
                        I work for the Huntsville Havoc and let me tell you it's been nuts with the renovations to the VBC. Less seats in the lower bowl because they are making them bigger, the end risers are different, the construction closes the office every once in a while. And all of it is not going to be finished by the time the Havoc and the Chargers seasons start. I don't know for sure, but I'm betting all the construction is the reason those games are in Birmingham. Hopefully the VBC looks awesome when all the construction is done lol.
                        Any photos of the renovation available online? I'm a bit of an arena geek and would love to see how things look...
                        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                        ECAC:
                        HEA: UMass
                        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Official announcement, including the press release from UAH SID. I'm waiting for Douglas to send me an email with a photo to finish that off.

GFM
                          Any idea/guesses as to who the AC's will be?
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                            Any photos of the renovation available online? I'm a bit of an arena geek and would love to see how things look...
                            http://www.vonbrauncenter.com/construction/

There are a number of pictures posted there. Which reminds me, I need to inquire if that thread running about people's arenas going to be transfered to a site devoted to D-1 arena's? I'd love to have to codified, as it were into a searchable index of our arenas. Be a definate plus to get the arena's onboard to link seating charts, tickets, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                              Any idea/guesses as to who the AC's will be?
                              When I talked to Chris he had some ideas of people he liked, but didn't name names or given any indication as to who they would be. Nor would I reasonably expect him to do so. Thus wild speculation may ensue until he's made his formal decisions. I expect him to bring in solid guys, but have no personal clue as to whom he'd want to choose. I'm not deeply enmeshed enough in the system to know those kinds of details.

Comment

Originally posted by CammieBuckeye View Post
                                I figured as much, it's just frustrating. The arena needed a face lift, but I dislike driving out of town for home games. Still, I'm starting to wonder if season tickets this year might be an imprudent investment given how construction schedules tend to be. Of course, having to replace Bryan in the front office is going to make the ticket issue fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X