Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stupid, dumb, moronic...take your pick

Originally posted by Leopard_Balcony_Booster View Post
    No hard evidence but talk to any sportswriter and they'll tell you in alot of cases, coaches don't tell the actual truth for PR reasons. ie. Terry Francona's propagandaizing (word?) for Manny Ramierez over the years...he must have hated biting his tongue for that dim-wit on several occassions.
    This is fair, but you're comparing apples and sportscars.

Francona placating a member of the team he's paid to win games with is a whole lot different than college hockey coaches biting their tongue on a one-week layoff.

Not only that, but each coach was given a chance to tactfully rip the system, and they (especially Blasi and York) went out of their way to praise it and defend it.

Trust me. These coaches weren't playing PR games. Coaches don't go out of their way to say stuff they don't mean.

(In addition, Blasi talked about how his players had all their ticket requests dealt with and all the team's travel plans were made between Monday and Tuesday, and practice wasn't scheduled to resume until today, so he really liked how all the off-ice stuff was taken care of before the team resumed practice.

Oh, and just think about the schedule a team like Miami has kept lately. They had a three-game playoff series, then a trip to Detroit for the CCHA finals, and a trip to Fort Wayne for a regional. They got back Monday morning at 4:30. You think their players would have just been able to snap the fingers and be ready to go to Detroit Tuesday afternoon? That's crazy.)
    Last edited by Bruce Ciskie; 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM.
    bciskie@gmail.com

Twitter.

Comment

No hard evidence but talk to any sportswriter and they'll tell you in alot of cases, coaches don't tell the actual truth for PR reasons.
      I'm sure that's true, but it does not follow that every time they say something they believe the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
        I'm sure that's true, but it does not follow that every time they say something they believe the opposite.
        Agreed.

btw. MikeAnderson has the best approach...I should have led off with that.

Comment

Ok fair enough. I get caught up that sometimes the NCAA seemingly cannot walk and chew gum at the same time...but hey, let he who has not *** up, throw the first stone right?
          Hey now. I said there were points in your favor. You just saw fit to edit that part out. I gave you a carrot along with the stick.

Comment

I just posted this elsewhere but I'll repeat it here. I think the off week should be between the conference tournaments and the regionals instead of the regionals and frozen four. The Frozen Four has sold out how many years in a row in NHL arenas so most of the people going, have already made plans for hotels and travel way before the teams are decided. The regional attendance might get a boost if there was more time for fans to make those plans and get there because the majority of regional attendance is by the fans of the teams involved.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              I just posted this elsewhere but I'll repeat it here. I think the off week should be between the conference tournaments and the regionals instead of the regionals and frozen four. The Frozen Four has sold out how many years in a row in NHL arenas so most of the people going, have already made plans for hotels and travel way before the teams are decided. The regional attendance might get a boost if there was more time for fans to make those plans and get there because the majority of regional attendance is by the fans of the teams involved.
              I agree.

In addition to this argument, There is also a case to be made that fans of a given school have to decide between bouncyball and hockey in the regionals (Cornell this year). By having the Hockey regionals the same weekend as the final four instead of the sweet 16, the chances of this happening drop by 75%

Comment

I thought this thread was about Rimbaud when I first saw the title.

Carry on...
                04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
                USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
                I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
                Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
                I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Hmm... Yes I'd call your thread stupid and moronic... the dumb is just getting redundant.

Comment

Not sure how it would REALLY compete with the other events if you go Friday-Sunday. No one plays on Friday night and tell me how hard it is to schedule 3 games on a Sunday (2pm, 5pm and 8pm est). Besides, I wonder what the marketing segmentation is on a men's championship hockey game vs a woman's semi hoops event. I'll bet there is not a lot of overlap.

I'd like to hear hockey players and coaches chime in on this. Getting 4 days rest after regionals is PLENTY of time. If anything, you are chomping at the bit to play the final two games rather than cooling off for two weeks.
                    You're wrong. I played division I hockey, a 4 day rest is not a lot, especially when there is significant and lengthy travel involved. A bye week in the season is a very much appreciated thing in terms of getting back on track, having a rested final 4 is much more valuable than 4 teams tired and exhausted. When the sioux came out exhausted against Yale it was not surprising at all to me. You saw the result of a decent team with 2 weeks rest vs. the hottest team in the country playing its 7th game in only 14 days. You always have to travel a full day early in the morning before, and with these NCAA tourneys even several days ahead of the scheduled games. So calling 4 days of rest is a pretty big joke, said well by someone who has no clue.

Keep the teams rested!

Comment

You're correct about that and it sucks that that sport is so high up on the scales.

And while it does give teams a chance to recuperate it also kills any fire a team might have.

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                      I think the scheduling works well for the teams, the NCAA and the media coverage.

The NCAA doesn't want any championships competing with the Final Four. The Final 4 in men's basketball and women's basketball is the event the NCAA generates the most revenue from. They want ALL of their focus on that event.
                      R I T HOCKEY
                      Atlantic Hockey Association Conference
                      Regular Season Champions
                      2007-2009-2010
                      AHA Tournament Champions
                      Frozen Four

"Were Loud and Obnoxious at hockey games!"
                      Proud Corner Crew member

Comment

The Frozen four should be played on Friday and Sunday. No excuses. Womens basketball is a horrible sport to watch on television with the "pure fundamentals" and all. Plus your well into April and I don't care what anybody says, watching hockey on tv when the snow is gone sucks balls. April means baseball pure and simple.

On a sort of related topic, the NCAA is totally missing the boat on Hockey, "the other revenue sport." Imagine what a new contract would do for the sport if the NCAA insisted that the winning bidder showcase the frozen four in primetime on the Friday-Sunday during the final four. It just makes so much sense, I don't get it. How would schools like NDSU, Iowa State, Penn State, URI, Oklahoma etc, etc, like to see there team and schools showcased during the media frenzy that would surround national championship weekend.
                        Last edited by Bison101; 04-02-2010, 06:15 PM.
                        Just a Bison Fan pulling for MSU Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Bison101 View Post
                          The Frozen four should be played on Friday and Sunday. No excuses. Womens basketball is a horrible sport to watch on television with the "pure fundamentals" and all. Plus your well into April and I don't care what anybody says, watching hockey on tv when the snow is gone sucks balls. April means baseball pure and simple.

On a sort of related topic, the NCAA is totally missing the boat on Hockey, "the other revenue sport." Imagine what a new contract would do for the sport if the NCAA insisted that the winning bidder showcase the frozen four in primetime on the Friday-Sunday during the final four. It just makes so much sense, I don't get it. How would schools like NDSU, Iowa State, Penn State, URI, Oklahoma etc, etc, like to see there team and schools showcased during the media frenzy that would surround national championship weekend.
                          The contract is for ALL NCAA Championships...there's not a separate one for hockey.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            The contract is for ALL NCAA Championships...there's not a separate one for hockey.
                            And hockey is probably 5th on the list of stuff ESPN looks at and says, "Huh. Sweet," behind women's bouncyball, baseball, softball and lacrosse.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                              And hockey is probably 5th on the list of stuff ESPN looks at and says, "Huh. Sweet," behind women's bouncyball, baseball, softball and lacrosse.
                              WHAT?!?!?! You mean to tell me MORE people watch bouncyball, lax, softball and baseball in this country then hockey? That's unpossible!!!
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                WHAT?!?!?! You mean to tell me MORE people watch bouncyball, lax, softball and baseball in this country then hockey? That's unpossible!!!
                                Hey, I get the softball ratings.

*****http://i125.***********.com/albums/p47/froye12/MJJZGSQLUKLCBFN_20050913000044.jpg******
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X