UVM Offseason Thread - building for a 3rd Straight Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVM Offseason Thread - building for a 3rd Straight Bid

Another season ends without the coveted hardware, but that is the reality for all but one team every year.

Lots of progress is being made year over year, with the team now looking to threepeat in the NC$$ tourney.

So much of that will depend on the early season OOC record, as we saw this past year.

Anyone have an early read into what the OOC schedule looks like?
    Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Re: UVM Offseason Thread - building for a 3rd Straight Bid

I read somewhere quoting Sneddon saying that Denver will come here and we will go to Minn. That would be AWESOME. Love playing vs the WCHA.

Also, the last two years UVM has lost to the eventual national champion (BU last year and BC the year before that) to end their season. I would like to see a Hockey East team win but it would say a lot for Vermont's program if they only get knocked out by the best team in the country. Then again, if BC won it would also say a lot due to our record vs them this year.

Comment

Originally posted by adidasjerry View Post
      I read somewhere quoting Sneddon saying that Denver will come here and we will go to Minn. That would be AWESOME. Love playing vs the WCHA.
      Denver comes to the Gut to finish the 2 year commitment. Trip to Minnesota I was told is to Duluth (not 100% sure of the source though since they came for the Cat Cup this year). Gophers is 2 years from now, basically replacing Denver which replaced Miami of Ohio. If that is true...the trip to Duluth, the Denver and Duluth series would be 4 of the 7 out of conference games. 2 games for the Cat Cup holiday tourney is 6 meaning only 1 other non conference foe.
      Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Nice to be an undrafted free agent:

Toronto Maple Leafs Sign Brayden Irwin
        by PPP on Mar 28, 2010 12:28 PM EDT in News

Contrary to reports from the CBC the Toronto Maple Leafs did not sign Brady Irwin. Rather, the Toronto Maple Leafs signed Brayden Irwin from the University of Vermont Catamounts.

Link to rest of the story - http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...s-sign-brayden
        Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

The off season
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post

2. How much do this years freshmen improve next year? Stalburg had more impact as a freshman this year than Vic did as a freshman (although similar points) - if he improves much he will be an impact player in the league the next three years. I also expect McCarthy and Pacan to step up a notch next year with more weight training and another year of maturity - they are both relatively young freshmen.

Stalberg II actually had a better year then Vik. Vik's freshman campaign ended with 15 points in 39 games, or .385 ppg. Seb, ended this season with 19 points in 36 games or .528 ppg. When you actually look at the Stalberg Jr's season he really turned it on in the second half. His production next year I expect will blow Vik's sophmore year away.

McCarthy ended with 17points in 35 games (.488 ppg) and Pacan with 14 in 39 games.

In comparison, last season there was only Marshall with 4-5 points,
            in 2007-2008 the three top freshman scorers were Dowing (11) Stacey (10) Atkinson (4)
            In 2006-2007 the top 3 freshman were Irwin (19), Vock (15) Vik (15).

By the numbers this is the best freshman class in since Lenes, Strong, Carlson.

Interesting to me was also the overall goals. It really seemed as the team was offensively challenged, but it wasn't that bad :

2009-2010 : 113g in 39g ( 2.89 GPG )
            2008-2009 : 121g in 39g ( 3.10 GPG )
            2007-2008 : 88g in 39g ( 2.25 GPG )
            2006-2007 : 87g in 39g ( 2.23 GPG )
            2005-2006 : 97g in 38g ( 2.55 GPG )

Its a wonder UVM won any games in 2005-2008, guess its a testament to Fallon.

Anyways, hope these guys really turn it up over the summer and come ready for next season.

Just for interest, (I seem to be on a stats kick this morning) the past 2 classes have increased their production by 8p, 19pts, and 14 pts from freshman to sophmore years. I am skipping last year since the only Forward was Marshall.

Comment

Great to see Irwin get a contract. He definitely had a big year after a very disappointing Junior season. Its well deserved.

Madore also got HE defensive player of the week for his performance against Wisc. so congrats to him as well.

Comment

It looks as if Irwin will be on the Mapleleafs roster for the final games of the season. Good for him, although no word yet if Stalberg will be a linemate or not.

I find it interesting that the likes of Marcou and Butler got signed and went to their respective minor league teams while Irwin was held up at the NHL level. I like Irwin, but not what I expected.

The UVM website has noted that Sneddon has had a player go pro every year since he took over at UVM. Congrats to Sneddon for being able to recruit some top tiered talent.

Comment

And let's hope we don't have a player go pro early this year like we did with Mitchell and Staberg two of the last three years. Nice to have the talent to make that a risk, but we need the strength at D next year while the first and second year forwards gel.

UVM will have another very solid SoS next season in the OOC games due to playing Denver and whomever in Minnesota.

Would be a bummer to see either Dartmouth or SLU drop off the schedule but with only 9 OOC games available you would figure one of them is dropping off - or playing in the Catamount cup....

Comment

Personally, I would rather have us keep Dartmouth and drop SLU. Dartmouth games are more exciting/competitive and their proximity helps. Also, I feel like Dartmouth has the better chance of being a top 25 team than SLU. Dartmouth is more well known too.

Comment

I would disagree with you on the Dartmouth vs. SLU comments except that Dartmouth is better proximity for Burlington area fans seeing the every other year away game and that Dartmouth as a SCHOOL is more well know than SLU.

In terms of hockey, on balance year in and year out, I would say that SLU is superior competition and more likely to help the SOS of UVM.

Comment

Nice seeing Irwin getting out there early. What is the count now of former UVM players currently in the NHL?

Thomas
                        St Louis
                        Sharp
                        Mitchell
                        Stalberg

Who am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                          I would disagree with you on the Dartmouth vs. SLU comments except that Dartmouth is better proximity for Burlington area fans seeing the every other year away game and that Dartmouth as a SCHOOL is more well know than SLU.

In terms of hockey, on balance year in and year out, I would say that SLU is superior competition and more likely to help the SOS of UVM.
                          Agreed... The Big Green need to step it up in the coming years as we need better quality...

Hearing its North Dakota after the Minn series...

I believe,that we lose the studs their Junior year because when they are drafted they only have x years before they become free agents again, thus if the team wants them they make a decent offer and they are gone.. I may be wrong on this so don't flambaste me..

Comment

Originally posted by funnnnn View Post
                            Nice seeing Irwin getting out there early. What is the count now of former UVM players currently in the NHL?

Thomas
                            St Louis
                            Sharp
                            Mitchell
                            Stalberg

Who am I missing?
                            Here's a UVM web site link entitled "CATAMOUNTS IN THE NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE" that might help you.

http://www.uvm.edu/~sportspr/mens_ho...e=hkypros.html
                            GaryH - UVM Class of '73
                            "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by GaryH View Post
                              Here's a UVM web site link entitled "CATAMOUNTS IN THE NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE" that might help you.

http://www.uvm.edu/~sportspr/mens_ho...e=hkypros.html

Much thanks.

Sifers
                              Perrin

Comment

Working...
                              X