UVM Offseason Thread - building for a 3rd Straight Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM Offseason Thread - building for a 3rd Straight Bid

Watched the Bruins/Maple Leafs Saturday night game. IIRC Irwin played a pretty regular shift for the first period and part of the second. He actually looked pretty effective until he had two bad turnovers (horrible breakout pass attempts consecutively on one shift and I don't think I saw him on the ice again after that - it was also a tied game at that point as well).

NESN commentators mentioned the UVM Catamounts a lot due to both Irwin and Stalberg being former Cats. They interviewed Stalberg between 1st and 2nd period and he gave a good interview.

Irwin looked like he might be a legitimate NHL prospect as the NHL game is so much more deliberate than the college game and I think his pace of play fits in better at the NHL level (or AHL probably) than at the college level.

Stalberg looked pretty solid and he was playing on the second line I believe, getting lots of ice time.

NESN commentators also gave props to the UVM sports info people for constantly providing interesting NHL stats to NESN. They specifically mentioned three names - Chris W. and two others that I did not recognize.

Good work by the UVM athletic administration and sports information group to work hard like that to earn frequent mention on the broadcast and get the school name out on the regional sports broadcast. Kudos to them on a job well done.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
      I'm not a basketball fan but seeing some of the in game dunks Blakely put down this year was SICK. What an athlete, good for him and for the Cats for getting to the NCAA tourney in hockey and basketball. Pretty cool.
      My friend goes to BU and has family up in Buffalo so he went to see the NCAA basketball tourny games up there. He said that Blakely's dunks (especially one specific dunk) were the "sickest" dunks that he saw that weekend.

Comment

UVM website reports Roloff has an ATO with the pBruins.

Interesting note at the bottom of the article :

"Roloff will become the 10th former Catamount to play in the AHL this year and the 26th to play professional hockey in 2009-10. He is this third Catamount this week to sign a professional hockey contract."

I was surprised it was that many. Good for the Cat's

Now, with Dawley leaving the lady cats and programs contacting Lonegran I pray that Sneddon has no thoughts of leaving. He has been a great asset to this program.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

UVM recruit ratings in the latest NHL CSB for domestic skaters:

Brickley 58
          White 106
          Luukko 175

Other HE schools:

BC - 26,36,117,133,202
          UNH - 89,144,169
          BU - 24,107
          UML - 45
          Maine - 148

I think there was a UMASS in there also but I missed it.

That BC class is strong, but UVM is starting to make a move toward the top of the eastern school recruiting charts.

Comment

According to that, better than UNH which is a surprise. It is going to take awhile to catch up to BU n BC in recruits though. However, the rating criteria probably depends a lot on speed and "skill". There are no stats for the strong Defensive-Defensemen and guys that can grind it out along the boards. Personally, I like our style of play with bigger guys and hard-nose grit. More old time hockey. I would not necessarily want a bunch of small speedy guys like BC. However, I hope someone will develop as the pure goal scorer or at least a natural play-maker like Marcou. Also, bigger guys mean bigger hits. Keep old time hockey alive.

Brickley 58
            White 106
            Luukko 175

Other HE schools:

BC - 26,36,117,133,202
            UNH - 89,144,169
            BU - 24,107
            UML - 45
            Maine - 148

That BC class is strong, but UVM is starting to make a move toward the top of the eastern school recruiting charts.

Comment

i'll take all the quick,speedy.SKILLED fowards you have.you can't hit what you can't catch.BC certainly has been a national contender with these types of players.it would be alot of fun to watch.

Comment

I know in the article about next years incoming class it said that UVM was still looking to add another defenseman for next year. Here are the last 3 uncommited defenseman who were ranked by central scouting.

100 Hrabarenka, Raman - D - Philadelphia - EJHL
                140 Roe, Logan - D - Kent School - HIGH-CT
                206 Reardon, Michael - D - Nobles - HIGH-MA

Hopefully UVM is showing some interest in these guys and can maybe pickup a commitment from one of them

Comment

Brickley 58
                  White 106
                  Luukko 175

Other HE schools:

BC - 26,36,117,133,202
                  UNH - 89,144,169
                  BU - 24,107
                  UML - 45
                  Maine - 148

Umass has a commmitment from Mike Pereira #63, and Jeff Teglia #24 among goalies

Comment

Originally posted by dwb View Post
                    i'll take all the quick,speedy.SKILLED fowards you have.you can't hit what you can't catch.BC certainly has been a national contender with these types of players.it would be alot of fun to watch.
                    I am with you there. I think this is Vermont's one week spot and shows in their goal production. They need some smaller faster forwards mixed in with the big guys.

Comment

Wisconsin just smokes RIT 8-1 - Makes UVM going down to Bucky 3-2 look pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by 4035 View Post
                        Wisconsin just smokes RIT 8-1 - Makes UVM going down to Bucky 3-2 look pretty good.
                        I was just thinking that...and if BC wins tonight and loses to UW...then what is the difference, they will have both lost to the champs...

Comment

Great game by BC. That was impressive. Hockey East is just the better conference. When you play great teams every week and every week is competitive you can beat number one teams. This is when grinding it out in conference games really makes a team better

Comment

Two assists for Mitchel last nigh giving him 4 points in his last 4 games. Looks like he is returning to form a little bit for the Sharks.

Stalberg still playing for Toronto, but I see Irwin didn't play against the Rangers their last game.

On the college side, Kudos to BC. What a great entertaining game, the pace was unbelievable. Not sure what Miami was thinking but playing a run and gun fast paced game with BC is a disaster waiting to happen, but again great job by the Eagles to force them to play that style.

Hate to, but go Eagles. Let's keep the NC in HE for another year.

Comment

In a way I find it painful to type these words, but nonetheless, "Go Eagles" , bring it home for HE.

After all the talk about HE having a down year....now we have a team in the finals who destroyed the team who was parked at #1/#2 all year.

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
                                In a way I find it painful to type these words, but nonetheless, "Go Eagles" , bring it home for HE.

After all the talk about HE having a down year....now we have a team in the finals who destroyed the team who was parked at #1/#2 all year.
                                I think most of that talk was generated because the top team in HE (UNH) was 1-6 against OOC teams, and some of the other teams didn't help out much either. Not sure what the final records were against other leagues, but HE wasn't off.......maybe a little, but not much.

IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X