Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FFFF Semi (4/8): Wisconsin vs. RIT

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    But the facilities? Ritter might be great on AHA standards, and we all know that in college hockey its the fans that make the arena great. But even still, for the big boys Ritter looks no better than their practice rinks!
    There's more to facilities than just the size of the rink. =)

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      There's more to facilities than just the size of the rink. =)

Powers &8^]
      Thanks, Powers, for helping me clarify that. The rink itself is a small bowl, with all the bells and whistles of any other arena. The small size makes it cozier, but also gives credence to the fact that its not up there with Wisconsin, for example. When I said facilitites, I meant the entire building and not just the rink. Although the rink is perfect for the atmosphere, it is not a stand alone building. Under the rink are some good sized hockey offices, and the building houses a gym (or two), and even a giant bar/pool hall. So, to the genteman's point about the rink being good for AHA standards, that is true, but the facilities and infrastructure to build from at RIT is top notch.

Comment

I could be wrong (I often am...just ask my wife), but the matchups and times are determined when the bracket is set regardless of who, what, or where ends up in the F4. The winner of the West region was playing the winner of the East region in the early game no matter what. Had the seeds held true, #2 (DU) vs #3 (UW) was the early game and #1 (Miami) vs #4 (BC) was to be the nightcap. RIT spoiled the party or made it more interesting with an "underdog" for the majority of the attendees to rally behind.

Comment

RIT certainly has the ability. I would imagine that your win over DU will be more indicative of what to expect than your shellacking and utter dismantling of UNH. Both UW and DU provide a lot more depth at forward and breakout ability from the defensemen. Of course I'm biased, but I'd venture to say that UW will be an even tougher challenge than DU in that regard, because I think our 3rd and 4th lines and our bottom D pairings are a lot better than what you'll find anywhere else in the nation.

RIT's success will have everything to do with how well they can shut that down. After this weekend, I'm convinced that they can do it to UW's top line and top defenders... how well will RIT's depth players do?

From someone who saw all 3 games in Albany, I'd say you're right on target here. I would expect the RIT/Wisconsin game to look a lot like the RIT/Denver game, with the Wisconsin pressure coming in waves across all lines. Denver did the same (as evidenced by 15-ish shots from their top line forwards and 40 shots overall as a team), but RIT was able to keep most of the Denver play out on the perimeter of the offensive zone. The shots were numerous but not as many quality shots as Denver probably expected to get. Denver players were visibly frustrated (i.e. smashing sticks on ice and shaking heads) in the 2nd and 3rd periods as they continued to pour longer range shots at the net but DiMichiel was steady and the defense took decent care of rebounds.

DiMichiel will have to be red hot again vs Wisconsin and RIT will have to convert any odd man chances they get in order to win. I've only seen one Wisconsin game and one Denver game, but im my opinion, Wisconsin looks more talented than Denver. I expect them to ring up 30-40 shots like Denver did.

I don't think Cornell looked good at all offensively, and they didn't really expose UNH defensively or goaltending-wise. In the RIT/UNH game, when RIT scored their 2nd goal to go up 2-1, I think UNH was shocked a bit that they were behind again, and they were having trouble generating quality chances and solving DiMichiel. It may have been surprising to them that RIT was so aggressive in transition play and kept coming offensively, and suddenly UNH imploded for 90 seconds and it was 4-1. They suffered breakdowns defensively and goaltending-wise and I would not expect Wisconsin to do the same.

Everyone I've spoken with who saw those 3 games seems to agree on a few points:

- RIT scoring first in both games was huge. If they score first against Wisconsin, its a different game than if Wisconsin gets ahead early.

- DiMichiel is playing with a very high level of confidence, as is the RIT defense, and this gives the confidence to the RIT forwards to pressure heavily and really generate chances as they transition out of their own zone. They actually had a lot of odd man rushes vs Denver (which I didn't expect to see against Denver), but didn't convert them. They will need to convert those against Wisconsin.

- When Wisconsin sets up in the RIT zone, RIT will go to great lengths to keep the middle clear and force everything along the boards and to the point. How Wisconsin reacts to that and generates chances anyway will be important. I think both Denver and UNH players made reference to this as the "RIT system" in the post game interviews. Denver did not react well to this tactic, and UNH seemed to do a better job handling this before the 3 goal outburst killed them mentally.

- RIT is a 4 seed but they clearly don't care about seedings or PWR. They keep coming and coming. So, if Wisconsin forgets the seeding thing and the perceived talent disparity and just treats RIT as they would any other equally skilled opponent, it will serve them well. Denver got sloppy with the puck at times, almost as if they didn't think RIT could capitalize, and they did (first goal). Bobby Butler from UNH made reference to RIT having the skill to bury your mistakes if you make them.

Should be a great game. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mania View Post
            I'm pretty confident about our depth, at least offensively. We don't really have any go-to guys, everyone seems to be contributing this year. In previous years I know we (the fans) would look for certain people in key situations but this year I feel good no matter who has the puck. I'm not sure how we will match up against Wisconsin but I know one thing we won't have to worry about is not having enough depth. Skill and experience wise I'm not sure how we will match up but after what I saw this past weekend I think we have a good shot.
            The defensive depth wiill certainly be tested. I thought they would more against UNH than they would against Denver since I thought UNH had more scoring depth. The dynamic duo of Ringwald and Tanev will be counted on plenty against the Badger top lines, but we will need Haltigan, Mazur, Spevak, and Seracino to step it up as well.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

RIT certainly has the ability. I would imagine that your win over DU will be more indicative of what to expect than your shellacking and utter dismantling of UNH. Both UW and DU provide a lot more depth at forward and breakout ability from the defensemen. Of course I'm biased, but I'd venture to say that UW will be an even tougher challenge than DU in that regard, because I think our 3rd and 4th lines and our bottom D pairings are a lot better than what you'll find anywhere else in the nation.

RIT's success will have everything to do with how well they can shut that down. After this weekend, I'm convinced that they can do it to UW's top line and top defenders... how well will RIT's depth players do?
              I will say that both teams are pretty solid from top to bottom. Obviously, UW has more top end Talent, but from what i gathered, their goaltending is pretty shaky, and has been the Achilles this season.

The thing i think RIT has above them maybe is team Chemistry and possibly Experience (age). The Tigers rarely lose players early, and with all players over 20, it could work to their advantage.

The Badgers are playing real well right now, and RIT will likely have to play a spotless game and use their aggressiveness and transition to have a chance.

All i Know is that there are a lot of People in Madison saying RIT? Just like Coach Eaves last night on Mich/Miami said. They dont know much about them.

Ah, my two teams meeting in the frozen four.... Will be in Rochester this week, then be up in Madison for the final games next. Either way, i will be sporting my Tigers Jersey in Madison May make a trip down Regent street. No doubt, I will be sporting something Badger related underneath just in case...

and as a side note, Rochester is not the dump many of you claim to know....
              Last edited by JRZ DVLS; 03-29-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZamboniDude View Post
                From someone who saw all 3 games in Albany, I'd say you're right on target here. I would expect the RIT/Wisconsin game to look a lot like the RIT/Denver game, with the Wisconsin pressure coming in waves across all lines. Denver did the same (as evidenced by 15-ish shots from their top line forwards and 40 shots overall as a team), but RIT was able to keep most of the Denver play out on the perimeter of the offensive zone. The shots were numerous but not as many quality shots as Denver probably expected to get. Denver players were visibly frustrated (i.e. smashing sticks on ice and shaking heads) in the 2nd and 3rd periods as they continued to pour longer range shots at the net but DiMichiel was steady and the defense took decent care of rebounds.

DiMichiel will have to be red hot again vs Wisconsin and RIT will have to convert any odd man chances they get in order to win. I've only seen one Wisconsin game and one Denver game, but im my opinion, Wisconsin looks more talented than Denver. I expect them to ring up 30-40 shots like Denver did.

I don't think Cornell looked good at all offensively, and they didn't really expose UNH defensively or goaltending-wise. In the RIT/UNH game, when RIT scored their 2nd goal to go up 2-1, I think UNH was shocked a bit that they were behind again, and they were having trouble generating quality chances and solving DiMichiel. It may have been surprising to them that RIT was so aggressive in transition play and kept coming offensively, and suddenly UNH imploded for 90 seconds and it was 4-1. They suffered breakdowns defensively and goaltending-wise and I would not expect Wisconsin to do the same.

Everyone I've spoken with who saw those 3 games seems to agree on a few points:

- RIT scoring first in both games was huge. If they score first against Wisconsin, its a different game than if Wisconsin gets ahead early.

- DiMichiel is playing with a very high level of confidence, as is the RIT defense, and this gives the confidence to the RIT forwards to pressure heavily and really generate chances as they transition out of their own zone. They actually had a lot of odd man rushes vs Denver (which I didn't expect to see against Denver), but didn't convert them. They will need to convert those against Wisconsin.

- When Wisconsin sets up in the RIT zone, RIT will go to great lengths to keep the middle clear and force everything along the boards and to the point. How Wisconsin reacts to that and generates chances anyway will be important. I think both Denver and UNH players made reference to this as the "RIT system" in the post game interviews. Denver did not react well to this tactic, and UNH seemed to do a better job handling this before the 3 goal outburst killed them mentally.

- RIT is a 4 seed but they clearly don't care about seedings or PWR. They keep coming and coming. So, if Wisconsin forgets the seeding thing and the perceived talent disparity and just treats RIT as they would any other equally skilled opponent, it will serve them well. Denver got sloppy with the puck at times, almost as if they didn't think RIT could capitalize, and they did (first goal). Bobby Butler from UNH made reference to RIT having the skill to bury your mistakes if you make them.

Should be a great game. Looking forward to it.
                Excellent analysis. Very well done and IMHO on the mark.

Comment

I sure hope this one will be on a real TV channel.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                    I could be wrong (I often am...just ask my wife), but the matchups and times are determined when the bracket is set regardless of who, what, or where ends up in the F4. The winner of the West region was playing the winner of the East region in the early game no matter what. Had the seeds held true, #2 (DU) vs #3 (UW) was the early game and #1 (Miami) vs #4 (BC) was to be the nightcap. RIT spoiled the party or made it more interesting with an "underdog" for the majority of the attendees to rally behind.
                    You're wrong.

The official bracket published by the NCAA at the start of the tournament lists the start time for each semifinal as "5 or 8:30 p.m."

That certainly indicates the times are not predetermined and are based on who actually plays in each respective semifinal.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                      I sure hope this one will be on a real TV channel.
                      ESPN2 for the semifinals.

ESPN for the championship game.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I agree with Chris that this is a good analysis and largely right on. However, point #1, quoted above, was the very biggest one in both games IMHO (and will be again in Detroit).

Personally, I don't think DeMichiel was all that "red hot" this past weekend. He was great, he was solid, but he was also pretty much just like he has been most nights. Like I've been telling people all days, those two games were not fluke wins. The Tigers came, they played their game, they played it well, and they won both games.

I also agree with those that said they expect something more like the RIT-DU game come next Thursday. That game could have been opened up a few times, but wasn't ... and it could have gone either way.

Can't wait to zip through Ontario on my way to Detroit next week.
                        Last edited by RITProf; 03-29-2010, 04:19 PM. Reason: fixed quote box
                        -M

Comment

Originally posted by ZamboniDude View Post
                          Denver did the same (as evidenced by 15-ish shots from their top line forwards and 40 shots overall as a team), but RIT was able to keep most of the Denver play out on the perimeter of the offensive zone. The shots were numerous but not as many quality shots as Denver probably expected to get. Denver players were visibly frustrated (i.e. smashing sticks on ice and shaking heads) in the 2nd and 3rd periods as they continued to pour longer range shots at the net but DiMichiel was steady and the defense took decent care of rebounds.

I think that'll be the main battle of the weekend. This UW team has been able to cycle the puck better than any other season since the title team in '06. UW was able to do that and move around into the interior of the zone very effectively in the West regional. Most of the goals scored this weekend came from inside.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Pardon the interruption, but if some of you like playing hockey, and would like to join us for a posters pick up game- we are hosting the annual Posters Game at Yost Ice Arena, Ann Arobr, noon-2pm on Saturday April 10.

Ann Arbor is about a 45 min drive from Detroit, as a reference.

Come play, watch, ref, scorekeep- whatever.

Here's the thread in the Cafe secion- http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=85605&page=9

(yes, this is a little self serving, but that's just because I'm stuck fitting the bill if we are short)

Comment

Originally posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
                              I will say that both teams are pretty solid from top to bottom. Obviously, UW has more top end Talent, but from what i gathered, their goaltending is pretty shaky, and has been the Achilles this season.
                              Gudmanson hasn't been UW's Achilles heal this season (19-4-4, 2.32 gaa .915 s%). Inconsistant play has been their "issue", but even at that, they haven't lost back to back games all year. The other goalie, Bennett, has been more of an Achilles heal (8-6-0, 2.82 gaa, .885 s%).

As long as they play up to their potential, they will be in the game with a chance to win, and that's all you can ask for.

Common opponents...UW waxed UNH early in the year @ the Kohl, 4-0 and 6-1. UW was 2-0-1 against DU and 3-1 against Kato.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Gudmanson hasn't been UW's Achilles heal this season (19-4-4, 2.32 gaa .915 s%). Inconsistant play has been their "issue", but even at that, they haven't lost back to back games all year. The other goalie, Bennett, has been more of an Achilles heal (8-6-0, 2.82 gaa, .885 s%).

As long as they play up to their potential, they will be in the game with a chance to win, and that's all you can ask for.

Common opponents...UW waxed UNH early in the year @ the Kohl, 4-0 and 6-1. UW was 2-0-1 against DU and 3-1 against Kato.
                                Maybe so, i was going by what many of my friends in Madison were telling me since they watch much more than i do. (I get the FSN North (Minnesota) feed in Chicago) Many of them had told me Goaltending could be better...
                                I dont think it will be on Gudmanson shoulders anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X