Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D1 Commitments 2011-2012

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
    Recruiting players away from their HS programs. You can decide for yourself what the meaning of 'good' is.
    I assume you're playing devil's advocate, and I ain't falling into the trap of getting into it on this forum. I've said too much already.
    Nope...I asked the question simply because I couldn't think of a reason anyone would dislike the T'breds program.

Yeah, I think that's a players decision entirely though, so I wouldn't consider that a good reason myself. I really can't find fault with anyone if an opportunity is there, it's offered and the player wants to take advantage.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I have a hard time believing that it "works" for anybody. It might be barely tolerable, or build character as an obstacle to overcome, or looking back you might say, "Well it was worth it". But having a teenager spend 6 hours a day in a car? How does that "work"?
      Wish I could dig up an old story on former Gopher Kelly Stephens. It documented this very set of circumstances regarding long commutes to play at a level not available to her locally, and how it did ultimately work for her, benefiting her and definitely helping her achieve her division I and subsequently her Olympic aspirations and success.

Doesn't mean it would work for everyone. I imagine some, maybe many just wouldn't make the sacrifices.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I have a hard time believing that it "works" for anybody. It might be barely tolerable, or build character as an obstacle to overcome, or looking back you might say, "Well it was worth it". But having a teenager spend 6 hours a day in a car? How does that "work"?
        Been there done that. And more than 6 hours in a day. And at the 12U and 14U levels. Worth it. You bet! And never used road legs as an excuse.

Comment

I agree that it's a long commute, but maybe she's arranged some housing in the Twin Cities so she won't have to travel so much? And even if she hasn't, it's entirely her decision. The beauty of it is that she had an option, and she chose what she thought would be the best for her.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I heard there was a 13 yr. old left winger down around that Mankato country that somebody had better sign ...and quick.

Comment

Originally posted by notfromaroundhere View Post
              Been there done that. And more than 6 hours in a day. And at the 12U and 14U levels. Worth it. You bet! And never used road legs as an excuse.
              Know of one person who outfitted their family van with a bed in the back for the rides home after games/practices. Two to three hour rides are not unheard of in some parts of the country. If you live rural, it is part of the equation, specially up here were winter can play havoc with the roads.

Our kids did much of their homework in the car/van over the years. It was actually an efficient use of their time. The oldest asked me to drive her, even after she had her licence, so she could do home work to and from the rink. She is now working her way into med school.
              Last edited by OnMAA; 10-07-2010, 09:13 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Our 1.5 hour trip taught our daughter time management skills. She got home from school and got what homework she could done. What was left, went with us in the van. We always had a book light in the glove compartment so she could read once it got dark.

She's now trying to make her third appearance on the all academic list while getting an engineering degree.

Comment

Originally posted by notfromaroundhere View Post

Never did 6 hrs a day, but probably 3 hours total x 3-4 times per week for several years. Hated doing it at the time, and often wondered if it was worth it, especially when there were other good programs closer to home.

However, looking back on it, I'm so glad to have done it.

Teenagers (and certainly mine) are notorious for not wanting to talk to their parents. Most of the time questions are generally answered with barely a grunt if you're lucky. Pretty much the only meaningful, important and deep conversations I had with my kids happened on those car rides, and did so frequently. Without them, I doubt they ever would have happened at all.

So now I think those long car rides were priceless. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                    So now I think those long car rides were priceless. Wouldn't trade them for anything.
                    Better hold that thought for the next few years, because your rides to games are considerably longer now, and without the benefit of your D's conversations
                    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

We didn't have a 3 hr drive, but I usually had to get my son to practice at one rink(half an hour away), take my daughter to another rink (20 minutes beyond, all the time doing homework in the car, then pick up my son who then did homework until my daughter was done. My daughter went onto play DIII and was Dean's List, All Academic team and graduated early. If you want to juggle hockey and school, you have to find those snippits of time during the day to get the studying done. It is a "learned time management" skill that they will carry with them throughout their lives. I wish I had thought of the book light...I used to have to leave the dome light on in my car for my kids.
                      "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                        Never did 6 hrs a day, but probably 3 hours total x 3-4 times per week for several years.....
                        ...... now I think those long car rides were priceless. Wouldn't trade them for anything.
                        Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                        Better hold that thought for the next few years, because your rides to games are considerably longer now, and without the benefit of your D's conversations
                        Look at it on the positive side. Now you get to talk to your spouse for six plus hours, and once you get there, expect a big hug from the D.

P.S.....It's amazing how much they change between 1st year and 4th year. I loved the long car rides to and from the college games over the last three years, and looking forward to more of the same.
                        Last edited by OnMAA; 10-07-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MICZamboni View Post
                          Also:

Amanda Makela.......G....Thunderbay.....ON
                          Jenna Dingeldien.....F.....Missisauga.....ON
                          Vaila Higson.....D......Edge School.....AB
                          Carolyne Lucznk.....D....Aeros.......ON
                          Hailey Brown......F.....Missisauga....ON
                          Shelby Bram
                          Kristine Grenier
                          Anyone have any thoughts on these players? Anyone see them play?
                          "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by MICZamboni View Post
                            Anyone have any thoughts on these players? Anyone see them play?
                            Makela is a prime time goalie. Backstopped her team to a national championship at U17 last year. She was on the TC U18 team that played in the series vs the US in LP.

Dingeldein is a big and strong forward with great size and strength. She played on Ontario Blue last year, and is a top player on a top team (Missy) this year. She should be able to step in and play right away. If she adds another gear to her game she would be really really good.

Comment

The latest committment announced on the MN High School forum, to Bemidji State:

Alex Citrowske............D............Prior Lake High School................Prior Lake, MN
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                The latest committment announced on the MN High School forum, to Bemidji State:

Alex Citrowske............D............Prior Lake High School................Prior Lake, MN
                                She has been a forward. Not sure why she is listed as a "D".

Comment

Working...
                                X