Oswego State 2010 Off-Season Thread: "Say it Ain't so Neil"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oswego State 2010 Off-Season Thread: "Say it Ain't so Neil"

Yes folks...sadly Neil Musselwhite has played his last game in a Laker uniform as well Dormo, KGT, and T-Ly.

They were an outstanding class that saw this program's finest hour the 2007 NC, one of its worst hours...the 0-9-1 streak against Pburgh, and then helped buoy the re-emergence of Oswego as a national power again this season before falling in the NCAA semis, ironically to the team they beat in the semis their freshman season to advance to the title.

Obviously there are no replacements for Neil's speed and Dormo's penalty killing, but what would you like to see Coach Gosek address in recruiting this offseason?

Personally, I'd bring in another goalie and I'm sure coach will since you always like to have three capable goalies. Jones didn't see a minute of action IIRC and Beckwith showed he was more than capable of backstopping the Lakers when he got his starts. The job is his going into the season but a little pre-season goalie competition never hurt anyone.

Hopefully we'll see a few more speedsters brought in to compliment the returners as well and some role guys that won't mind playing on the third and fourth lines and being on the PK unit.

They could also use a PP quarterback on the blue line.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: Oswego State 2010 Off-Season Thread: "Say it Ain't so Neil"

On some points I agree with you. Beckwith doesn't need any competation in goal. It is about time that he is given a chance to shine. If he didn't get H1N1 he would started majority of the games. As for a quarterback for the power play they have 2. They are Lags and Whitelaw. Lags does it down low and Whitelaw does it up top. As for replacing Neils speed that may not happer for I had seen anyone that fast since I saw Donnie Rae of the 80's. The big thing that Ed has to find is who is going to bring the chemistry of the team together. Lets hope that this team doesn't do what the 08 team did. Basically the same team as the year before but there was no leadership or chemisty.
    Oswego '89

Comment

Originally posted by DIIIFan View Post
      On some points I agree with you. Beckwith doesn't need any competation in goal. It is about time that he is given a chance to shine. If he didn't get H1N1 he would started majority of the games. As for a quarterback for the power play they have 2. They are Lags and Whitelaw. Lags does it down low and Whitelaw does it up top. As for replacing Neils speed that may not happer for I had seen anyone that fast since I saw Donnie Rae of the 80's. The big thing that Ed has to find is who is going to bring the chemistry of the team together. Lets hope that this team doesn't do what the 08 team did. Basically the same team as the year before but there was no leadership or chemisty.
      Oswego '89
      I think the semis loss was the best thing for the team in the future.

Eric Selleck could have left school. What else would he have to prove? He's obviously got the build and talent for the show and have it on good authority he had pro scouts looking at him last season.

The only thing keeping him coming back is the chance to win a national championship.

I don't think they'll have the championship hangover that the 2007 team got and they started to expect everything to come to them.

They'll be even hungrier for the start of next season getting so close only to have it ripped away. I like the team's chances for next season as long as they find some leadership.

I think Jon Whitelaw might even have an A next season.

I also meant a defensemen for a PP quarterback.
      GO LAKERS!!!
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Any thoughts on who will wear the C and the A's? Talked about this with a buddy of mine and we came up with a small list that included Mallaro, Whitelaw, Mather, Kelly, Lags, and despite only being here a year, possibly Huinink...
        Last edited by Ozz; 03-25-2010, 08:36 AM.
        Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
        2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
          Any thoughts on who will wear the C and the A's? Talked about this with a buddy of mine and we came up with a small list that included Mallaro, Whitelaw, Mather, Kelly, Lags, and despite only being here a year, possibly Huinink...
          All Seniors;
          Mallaro - C
          Kelly - A
          Lags - A

Much as the current Captains did by setting the bar high for the incoming Freshman with their actions, these guys have the energy and desire to get to the NCAA's again.
          Last edited by mdmadison; 03-25-2010, 09:28 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadison View Post
            All Seniors;
            Mallaro - C
            Kelly - A
            Lags - A

Much as the current Captains did by setting the bar high for the incoming Freshman with their actions, these guys have the energy and desire to get to the NCAA's again.
            I have no arguements with these Players. Might I make a suggestion in putting the C on Lags if he is still going to be on the FLS line. He might be able to keep Fox and Selleck focused later in the season.
            Oswego' 89

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              I think the semis loss was the best thing for the team in the future.

Eric Selleck could have left school. What else would he have to prove? He's obviously got the build and talent for the show and have it on good authority he had pro scouts looking at him last season.

The only thing keeping him coming back is the chance to win a national championship.

I don't think they'll have the championship hangover that the 2007 team got and they started to expect everything to come to them.

They'll be even hungrier for the start of next season getting so close only to have it ripped away. I like the team's chances for next season as long as they find some leadership.

I think Jon Whitelaw might even have an A next season.

I also meant a defensemen for a PP quarterback.
              If Whitelaw plays keeps his play up he is going to be great. It would be nice to have a offensive minded defenceman. I haven't seen one in oswego since Tom McFall. I hope the scouts you were talking about saw him during the fist half of the season and not the later for I don't think they would get a very good impression of Selleck. It would have been incredible if he kept his level of play up at the high level that he started the seaon out with through out the whole season. If he did that I can't see not him getting the NCAA DIV III Player of the year award and maybe a canidate for the Hobey Baker Award.
              Oswego'89

Comment

If Whitelaw plays keeps his play up he is going to be great. It would be nice to have a offensive minded defenceman. I haven't seen one in oswego since Tom McFall. I hope the scouts you were talking about saw him during the fist half of the season and not the later for I don't think they would get a very good impression of Selleck. It would have been incredible if he kept his level of play up at the high level that he started the seaon out with through out the whole season. If he did that I can't see not him getting the NCAA DIV III Player of the year award and maybe a canidate for the Hobey Baker Award.
                Oswego'89
                I never saw McFall...Was he back during your years at Oz?

Last really good offensive d-man that had the complete package IMHO was Joe Carrabs.

He was on the 2003 team and I think he graduated in 2004ish?
                GO LAKERS!!!
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Oswego'89
                  D-III players are eligible for the Hobey Baker?
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Isn't the award for the best "Collegiate" hockey player? Would be a stretch though having a D3 player top D1 players, although being a candidate would say alot.

Comment

I have no arguements with these Players. Might I make a suggestion in putting the C on Lags if he is still going to be on the FLS line. He might be able to keep Fox and Selleck focused later in the season.
                      Oswego' 89
                      I like the C on Lags also. H eis probably the reason that line performed well at the beginning of the season. However, for some reason perhaps 1 or 2 of those players forgot what got them to the top in scoring. I think the words hustle and teamwork come to mind.

Comment

In the beginning of the Hobey those many years ago, they were. Go to the Hobey Baker past winners site and you'll see the beginning student-athletes from St. Thomas and Plattsburgh were in the mix.

Then they created the Sid Watson award for the lesser folks.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadison View Post
                          I like the C on Lags also. H eis probably the reason that line performed well at the beginning of the season. However, for some reason perhaps 1 or 2 of those players forgot what got them to the top in scoring. I think the words hustle and teamwork come to mind.
                          This is why Kelly and Mallaro really come to mind. Down the stretch, you could argue the Kelly line was the best line Gosek was putting on the ice.
                          Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                          2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                            This is why Kelly and Mallaro really come to mind. Down the stretch, you could argue the Kelly line was the best line Gosek was putting on the ice.
                            It would be a very hard argument with you on this one. Kelly was a joy to watch this year. Lags, Whitelaw, and Kelly with their full out hustle every shift did an aweful lot for this years teams success. It would be very deserving of Kelly to wear the "C". Coach is in a tough place which many coaches would like to be in. Have several hardworking tough nosed team oriented senior to wear the "C". Lets hope for next years team that the chemistry lasts the whole year and no one gets caught up in looking at the stats. I am not a Celtics fan but in their hay day they had the best teams. Not the best players. Lets hope that next years teams gells and finds that unseen bond that forms a team.
                            Oswego'89

Comment

I never saw McFall...Was he back during your years at Oz?

Last really good offensive d-man that had the complete package IMHO was Joe Carrabs.

He was on the 2003 team and I think he graduated in 2004ish?
                              If I have missed someone since McFall it is bacuse I have been a Laker fan since 87 when I worked for the team. Yes Tom McFall was in my time. You are correct a defenseman as a QB on the PPlay would be a hugh help to the PPlay.

Comment

Working...
                              X