D-III seasons of old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-III seasons of old

Good evening, all. New to following D-II/III hockey outside of the NCHA and MCHA. Was able to see all three Frozzzen Four games on TV this weekend, good stuff, to bad St. Norbert couldn't pull it off.

Recently I have been scouring the internet for any historical D-III conference standings and this is what I have found:

The MCHA, NESCAC and MASCAC being relatively new conferences have records going back to 99-00 (98-99 for MCHA) thanks to USCHO, collegehockeystats.net and the MCHA websites.

I have found NCHA conference and overall results dating back to that conference's inception circa 1981 or 1982. I have also found post season and even WIAC results from within the NCHA.

MIAC overall standings exist in complete form going back to the 60s, conference standings only go back to 1995.

I have not been able to locate any NYCHA, ECAC East, West, North-South, or North/Central/South archived standings. There are a few teams, primarily the now D-I schools, who have overall results in their media guides but no historical conference and overall standings.

I have been wondering if there are any archives out there with final conference standings and conference tournament results dating to the mid 80s when the NCAA began sponsoring a D-III National Tournament? Did I overlook anything on the NCAA or ECAC websites?

Thank you.

Re: D-III seasons of old

what?

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockey2591 View Post
      what?
      He's looking for archives of all of the conferences (current and past) of D-III hockey.

Comment

Sorry, my post resembles IRC amendments.

Would there happen to be any links to historical D-III hockey conference standings dating back to 1983-84?

Thank you.

Comment

Good Luck finding anything on the ECAC East or West!

Originally posted by Blueliner03 View Post
          Good evening, all. New to following D-II/III hockey outside of the NCHA and MCHA. Was able to see all three Frozzzen Four games on TV this weekend, good stuff, to bad St. Norbert couldn't pull it off.

Recently I have been scouring the internet for any historical D-III conference standings and this is what I have found:

The MCHA, NESCAC and MASCAC being relatively new conferences have records going back to 99-00 (98-99 for MCHA) thanks to USCHO, collegehockeystats.net and the MCHA websites.

I have found NCHA conference and overall results dating back to that conference's inception circa 1981 or 1982. I have also found post season and even WIAC results from within the NCHA.

MIAC overall standings exist in complete form going back to the 60s, conference standings only go back to 1995.

I have not been able to locate any NYCHA, ECAC East, West, North-South, or North/Central/South archived standings. There are a few teams, primarily the now D-I schools, who have overall results in their media guides but no historical conference and overall standings.

I have been wondering if there are any archives out there with final conference standings and conference tournament results dating to the mid 80s when the NCAA began sponsoring a D-III National Tournament? Did I overlook anything on the NCAA or ECAC websites?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
            Good Luck finding anything on the ECAC East or West!
            I think I may need more than good luck for that.

Comment

I think I may need more than good luck for that.
              Your best bet is probably sending a letter or email to the office of the respective conferences you're interested in.

The MIAC has conference standings dating back to 1960, so you've got those at least. The other ones should hopefully reply to email or letter requests.

The defunct ones..... those you'll probably need something close to divine intervention, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
                The MIAC has conference standings dating back to 1960, so you've got those at least.
                The St. John's media guide has MIAC history dating back all the way to the 30's I think. Not specifically sure what all is included, but there's definitely some info there. Might cost you $2, dude, but it would be worth it.
                “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
                  The St. John's media guide has MIAC history dating back all the way to the 30's I think. Not specifically sure what all is included, but there's definitely some info there. Might cost you $2, dude, but it would be worth it.
                  Just charge that to your monthly USCHO expenses report

Oh wait.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Thanks all for the recommendations. It is a marvel that records do not exist online prior to 1999 for a conference like the D-III ECAC.

What I have been able to piece together through various team media guides is much of the ECAC North-South and N/C/S playoffs/tournaments and some regular season games. Also, some ECAC East-West tourney data with little to no regular season data. More effort than I care to invest, especially since my primary interest was the old conference alignments over the years since the D-III tournament began.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      Just charge that to your monthly USCHO expenses report

Oh wait.

Just bill it to the room.
                      “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                      19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Thanks all for the recommendations. It is a marvel that records do not exist online prior to 1999 for a conference like the D-III ECAC.

What I have been able to piece together through various team media guides is much of the ECAC North-South and N/C/S playoffs/tournaments and some regular season games. Also, some ECAC East-West tourney data with little to no regular season data. More effort than I care to invest, especially since my primary interest was the old conference alignments over the years since the D-III tournament began.
                        Have you thought about writing the ECAC on Cape Cod and asking what they have?

This is from college hockey archives:
                        There is a great deal of confusion surrounding collegiate athletics in regards to a school's classification, particularly in the non-revenue sports (not football or basketball). In hockey, every school can be classified in three ways:

National Affiliation - The classification of the school as a whole, which depends greatly on how good a football team the school had in the 1930s. Frequently assumed to be based on enrollment size.
                        Hockey Affiliation - Classification of the men's ice hockey team, which is usually, but not always, the same as the national affiliation. This is a good indicator of how successful the hockey team was in the 1960s and 1970s.
                        Hockey Playing Level - The actual level of competition of the hockey team. Usually the same as the hockey affiliation, but there are exceptions.
                        When collegiate sports developed in the 19th century, there was no NCAA or any type of classification. Schools played whomever they wanted in whatever sports they fielded. The NCAA was founded in 1906 to govern track and field events. Their first expansion a few years later was to monitor football, mostly because of the numerous deaths that were occurring each year. Until the 1930s, all schools were equal in the NCAA's eyes.

In 1937, all NCAA members were officially designated as either a major or college team. This was an adoption of an informal football classification that had existed for a few decades. Major football schools were those institutions that played a minimum number of games against other major colleges, a definition that permitted a degree of circular logic. The size of the school was not a determining factor. The major schools were those that were popular, successful or played other majors (whether successfully or not). The lack of enrollment as a criteria for major status permitted small colleges such as Colgate to become a major school whereas other larger, unsuccessful schools gained college status. As other sports came under the NCAA umbrella, they usually adopted the school's overall affiliation.

For sports with fewer than normal schools participating, the college/major distinction was generally ignored. Since so few schools played hockey and those that did were in two distinct geographical regions, all hockey teams were considered equal. It was not until the 1960s, when the ECAC, with over 25 members, felt the need to divide its conference, that hockey began to adopt distinctions. Using a similar method that football had used three decades earlier, the better and popular teams formed the ECAC Division 1 and the rest of the schools became Division 2. Good hockey schools, like Rensselaer and Clarkson, were awarded major status in hockey although were college status in other sports. Connecticut, on the other hand, was a major school that opted for college status. Out west, far fewer varsity hockey teams meant the WCHA, the only conference at that time, would be a major college conference.

At a special NCAA convention on August 1, 1973, all major schools were reclassified as Division 1 and college schools were divided into Divisions 2 and 3. This was applied to all sports within a decade, with those college schools playing major hockey being classified as Division 1 in hockey and Division 2 or 3 in everything else, and vice-versa for major schools playing college status hockey. The schools on the college level could move into Division 2 or Division 3 as they saw fit. Most took the same status as their national affiliation, if not Division 1.

Further confusion arose from the ECAC's internal structure which classified what is now ECAC East-West-SUNY as Division 2 and the current Northeast conference as Division 3, while the school's hockey status may be different. The ECAC's designations reflected the playing level of the school, not the technical hockey affiliation. The East-West-SUNY schools (old ECAC Division 2) devote greater resources to their hockey programs than the others and therefore are rated higher in the ECAC.

This rather confusing system of labeling sports results in some anomalies. Merrimack is a Division 2 school that plays Division 1 hockey on the Division 1 level. Rensselaer is a Division 3 school that plays Division 1 hockey on the Division 1 level. Connecticut is a Division 1 school that formerly played Division 1 hockey on the Division 3 level. Over a dozen schools play Division 1 hockey but are institutionally classified Division 2 or Division 3, while 6 Division 1 schools once played at a lower level, but (in name only) fielded a Division 1 team.

No one ever said anything about the NCAA would be easy to understand. That is what college is for.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Have you thought about writing the ECAC on Cape Cod and asking what they have?
                          I think if I had more of a desire to persue the acutal standings than simply the division alignments I might inquire. I just figured that the standings would have been available and what better source to confirm old conference alignments. Now that I had finally got around to reading...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          ...this link just last evening it all but confirms much what I have found regarding the ECACs. Perhaps someday I will polish up my findings in a spreadsheet. For now, the Ides of April loom.

Comment

Considerable historical data can be found here, using Norwich since 1925 as an example. (Use the "Search" box).

Here is a heck of a coaching record 1896-1976
                            Last edited by norm1909; 03-28-2010, 07:45 PM.
                            Larry Normandin
                            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                              Considerable historical data can be found here, using Norwich since 1925 as an example. (Use the "Search" box).
                              Take it with a grain of salt, though, as it has RIT being Division II up through 1986, even though we won the D-III championship in '85.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                              X