Coach Skrypek retires from St. Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Skrypek retires from St. Thomas

It's a sad day at St. Thomas. Skry will be missed, hopefully Duke Boeser will be allowed to continue the tradition for the Tommies.

http://tommiesports.com/mh/news/Skry_3-22.html

Re: Coach Skrypek retires from St. Thomas

I didn't know the man personally.
    But, I've got to believe that the classy nature of this program, reflects their head coach for the past 23 years.
    Hope he enjoys his retirement.
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

I spoke to coach Skrypek several times during my year and a half covering the MIAC, and found him a graceful and helpful person with an excellent knowledge of hockey and grounding in his team's and league's history. It's one of those things where other coaches are likely glad to see him go in the hopes of facing a less consistent St. Thomas team, but really disappointed to see him take everything he brought to the league with him.

He was one of the most overlooked coaches in D3 who led his team to consistent success for seemingly an eternity. It's hard to give enough praise to coach Skrypek.
      2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
      2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
      2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
      Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

St Thomas was one of those teams that were able to get themselves east - without the NCAA footing the bill - such as the 2002-03 and 2005-06 Times-Argus Invitational, 2006-07 Pathfinder and it was nice to see them at the 2008-09 Primelink. Head Coach Terry Skrypek, IMO was among the top of the DIII coaches, may his retirement meet or exceed his expectations, and as importantly, may St Thomas find a way to continue the legacy he has established (including the trips east)
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Skrypek was a class act in pretty much everything he did.

He was really proud of this team winning the MIAC title, maybe the proudest he's been of any of his teams. It's definitely a great note for him to go out on, and whoever takes over at St. Thomas won't just have big shoes to fill... they'll have a legacy to carry on instead.
          MIAC Columnist

Comment

Skrypek never had a losing season in 48 years in hockey, from his high school career at Cretin to his college career at St. Mary’s. He was a Hill-Murray assistant for three years (1970-73) and Pioneers’ head coach the next 14 years (1973-87). His teams won 88% of their games (325-44-3) and 13 of a possible 14 conference crowns.

Skrypek was associated with 815 victories in 1,117 games at the prep and college level of hockey, including 419 wins over the last 23 seasons at the University of St. Thomas.

The St. Paul native never finished worse than third place in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. His Tommie teams won 22 of a possible 46 conference regular-season and playoff championships.

Under Skrypek, the Tommies made the conference playoffs all 23 seasons and reached the finals 20 times. They also made the NCAA playoffs 11 times.
            “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
            19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

This guy is terrific. I've never had anything but respect for what he does over there at St. Thomas. Happy retirement to one of the really good ones. He's earned the right to enjoy himself.
              Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
              2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
              2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
              Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                St Thomas was one of those teams that were able to get themselves east - without the NCAA footing the bill - such as the 2002-03 and 2005-06 Times-Argus Invitational, 2006-07 Pathfinder and it was nice to see them at the 2008-09 Primelink. Head Coach Terry Skrypek, IMO was among the top of the DIII coaches, may his retirement meet or exceed his expectations, and as importantly, may St Thomas find a way to continue the legacy he has established (including the trips east)
                They came out for the Elmira East/West faceoff in 2000 or 2001 as well.

In the two years of the tournament I believe Stevens Point, Superior, St. Norbert, and St. Thomas all made appearances.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

The guy could flat out coach. His team always had straight out of high school freshmen, and by the end of the season, they were all playing like high level junior prospects.
                  Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
                  2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
                  2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
                  2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
                  "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

His coaching record of 419-197-46 (670%) is impressive and his teams played with passion and commitment. Skrypek style was positive and supportive. He dealt with all players honestly and fairly, characteristics that bring results

Hope he stays in Hockey in some capacity, their is so much knowledge for the youth of today to benefit from his teachings.

Comment

I didn't see much of the Tommies, but I know coach had his teams play hard and he was well respected. We'll miss you Coach Skrypek.
                      Twitter: DanMountSports
                      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by delfan View Post
                        His coaching record of 419-197-46 (670%)
                        Anybody who can help his team win 670% of their games is pretty impressive
                        2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
                        2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
                        2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
                        Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

Jeff "Duke" Boeser is named the Interim Coach for St. Thomas. A very deserving candidate for the job!!!!

http://tommiesports.com/mh/news/Duke_415.html

Comment

Originally posted by UST#1 View Post
                            Jeff "Duke" Boeser is named the Interim Coach for St. Thomas. A very deserving candidate for the job!!!!

http://tommiesports.com/mh/news/Duke_415.html

Just curious why they would hang the "interim" handle on a guy that has devoted so many years to the program as a player and Assistant Coach ?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
                              Just curious why they would hang the "interim" handle on a guy that has devoted so many years to the program as a player and Assistant Coach ?
                              They're waiting for Beaney or Gossek to be fired and want to have a vacancy for one of them to fill!
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X