Alaska vs BC game on TV in Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska vs BC game on TV in Alaska

I think our Athletic Director should be requesting ESPN to make some kind of exception for this game to be shown live up here.
    Maybe this is something our Governor should spearhead for us. I would even try our US Senators and Congressman. It should be that important for their political future, if Forrest Karr is not able to convince ESPN.
    Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Re: Alaska vs BC game on TV in Alaska

it is total bs. Every game should be televised.

Comment

Originally posted by Schlacker Rat View Post
      I think our Athletic Director should be requesting ESPN to make some kind of exception for this game to be shown live up here.
      Maybe this is something our Governor should spearhead for us. I would even try our US Senators and Congressman. It should be that important for their political future, if Forrest Karr is not able to convince ESPN.
      If it were me, I wouldn't focus my efforts on ESPN. ESPN will offer Alaska channels the chance to pay to carry the game. I would call Alaska local channels and beg them to shell out the cash to do so.

Comment

It would be nice if the ABC affiliates (ABC in Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau is run under one big entity) pick it up, since ABC is tied in to ESPN. Not likely, though.

Probably the best chance is GCI.

Also, unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like ESPNU will air a tape delay at 5:30 AM Sunday morning.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Is ESPN 360 a no go? Here in the Twin Cities, I'm trying to see if people want to go to a bar that has high speed wireless and that has offered up a TV to connect a computer to it.

Comment

ESPN360.com has some screwy deal where they only broadcast online over affiliated ISPs. If you're not affilated, you're SOL. None of the Alaska ISPs are affiliated, so...

At this point it sounds like our best option is for UAF to set up some sort of big screen at a campus facility and open it to the public, as apparently campus sites can broadcast it for free. I suppose we could petition the ISPs to set something up, but who knows if that's something that can be done in a week, or if they'd even be interested. And if GCI does and ACS doesn't, there's still a bunch of people who are SOL if you're with the wrong ISP, myself included in that case. I'm sure there's some sort of contract required, and it would probably be a stretch for them to go through all that for possibly a single game of local interest, which is apparently gonna be tape delayed on ESPNU anyway.

The one question I do have is that I remember seeing something about them being broadcast on ESPN360.com, and regional syndication. Does that mean they might air them locally anyway, making all of this a moot point? I know they've done that numerous times over the season, airing games on GCI and/or our local FOX affiliate, but those were usually FS-Detroit games anyway, so they were already FOX-affiliated.

Comment

On a side note, regardless of whether or not any of us can actually watch it, I'm pretty sure this is the first UAF athletic game of any kind to be broadcast on ESPN.

I'm sure UAF will figure out a way for people to watch the game on campus, but unfortunately that leaves us Anchorage folk SOL, unless GCI Cable can pick up the feed and put it on channel 1.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                Is ESPN 360 a no go? Here in the Twin Cities, I'm trying to see if people want to go to a bar that has high speed wireless and that has offered up a TV to connect a computer to it.
                You might be in luck if you have a ISP in the Twin Cities that picks up ESPN360, but that's our problem here in the Slushy Far North: none of the Alaskan ISP's have it. In Alaska you basically have two choices for internet: GCI or ACS, both of which are Alaska-based entities. There's a few other smaller ones around, but those two split most of the market. And since competition is generally scarce, there's not much of an incentive for either company to beef up their offerings too much (same is true of GCI Cable TV).

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  You might be in luck if you have a ISP in the Twin Cities that picks up ESPN360, but that's our problem here in the Slushy Far North: none of the Alaskan ISP's have it. In Alaska you basically have two choices for internet: GCI or ACS, both of which are Alaska-based entities. There's a few other smaller ones around, but those two split most of the market. And since competition is generally scarce, there's not much of an incentive for either company to beef up their offerings too much (same is true of GCI Cable TV).
                  Yeah, we have Comcast here which supports it now. Yeah, that sounds difficult...

Comment

I know she stepped down but I can just see Palin doing something like that. I think her reasoning would be something like, "I can see Russia from my house, why shouldn't all Alaskans be able to watch the first game when UAF is in the national tournament?"
                    Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This should not be on the third page, just bumping it up.....
                      It would be a shame if we can't watch it live. Also most everyone don't think we have much of a chance, except the fellow teams within the CCHA.

Comment

This should not be on the third page, just bumping it up.....
                        It would be a shame if we can't watch it live. Also most everyone don't think we have much of a chance, except the fellow teams within the CCHA.
                        Very true that it should not be on the third page. Good job bumping....
                        Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Not as good as having it available on TV, but it looks like UAF is offering a viewing party at the Patty Center. Definitely better than nothing for the local die-hards.

http://alaskananooks.com/news/2010/3...x?path=mhockey

Comment

Fox 7 is showing both Fridays semis and Sat final. We need to call them and tell them we want 2 see Sat and Sun games. Doesn't Methodical work 4 them?

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
                              Not as good as having it available on TV, but it looks like UAF is offering a viewing party at the Patty Center. Definitely better than nothing for the local die-hards.

http://alaskananooks.com/news/2010/3...x?path=mhockey
                              My concern here is - This make me wounder if Forrest Karr really doesn't mind, so the athletic department can make more money off of this. Since it is on campus (where they are going to charge for the concessions). Leave it up to them to find a way to make more money off of the Nanook fans!

Comment

Working...
                              X