Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official I love or hate Barry Melrose..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official I love or hate Barry Melrose..

Looks like we will see him in albany , although I do not believe his rhetoric about cornell , well being bias , guess there is no more MR (hey) Norton to contend with . I think there was a Barry thread from years back but couldnt find it . At any rate i do enjoy his banter along with his mullet.

Re: The official I love or hate Barry Melrose..

Dislike. His initials suit him well.
    Anybody but Northern

Comment

He's an insufferable donkey.
      Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Hate his near total ignorance of the subject matter he's supposed to be covering, namely college hockey. Love that he's still rocking a mullet though.
        The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
        BC - 12
        BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

He would be 100x better if he remembered to not refer to the teams as "franchises".
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I enjoyed how his cronies mixed Minnesota-Duluth's storyline with North Dakota's...

"North Dakota had to win to get into the tournament..." Really? Awesome they got a 2 seed.
            Anthem singers should not be American idol wannabes. - Dubbie31

Comment

He prepares poorly for these things. Knows the sport of hockey, sure. But not college hockey.

In a rarity, I actually wanted Boob Norton back and his rants about Johnny Utah who coached little Bobby Miller in mites before he went to UNH and his favorite ice cream flavor is Cherry Garciaparra.
              Originally posted by reBlur
              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                Hate his near total ignorance of the subject matter he's supposed to be covering, namely college hockey. Love that he's still rocking a mullet though.
                the same
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

God bless him, he's gotten a lot of mileage out of one run to the Stanley Cup Finals.
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Barry Melrose is a brand. Taking a page from the Don Cherry school of 'unique screen presence', Melrose has extended his mediocre coaching career into a well-paying ESPN analyst gig by carving out his differentitiation from the standard bland sycophant types of TV people.

The look of the brand is fronted by his distinctive mullet, paired with a loud suit and supported by blustery blowhard comments that nobody else would say. Don Cherry called Melrose "Billy Ray Cypress" (sic) on CBC TV for years, in homage to the early 90s mullet of Miley Cyrus' one-hit, Achy-breaky father, Billy Ray Cyrus. The difference between Cherry and Melrose is that Cherry does more homework, and is a more of Canadian nationalist/traditionalist. Cherry's blowhard comments are almost always traceable to that bedrock.

Melrose's bombast is more all over the board, and his condescension to college hockey is reflected in his lack of preparation and his lack of care. ESPN doesn't really care about college hockey either, and that's why they don't care about his lack of preparation or his bombast. They think Melrose will add some hockey cred that might not otherwise be there for the casual audience, and to an extent, they are right about that. Melrose is at home in the NHL world, and for Joe six-pack who channelsurfs into the NCAA hockey broadcast on ESPN, seeing the Mullet does gives the NCAA brand of hockey some level of credibility...

ESPN's late Tom Mees, who loved college hockey and cared deepy about broadcasting the NCAA Frozen Four with respect and serious effort, would be flabbergasted to see Melrose's lack of preparation and the insulting condescension that comes out of Melrose's mouth. I miss Mees and so does our game.

But this is our reality. ESPN broadcasts college hockey because it must as part of a larger NCAA deal for other sports. I wish we could get someone with more love of the college game, but we are stuck with Mullet. It's a curse for the serious college hockey fan. And while Bob Norton makes some ears bleed with his regionalism, his accent and his constant references to player origins, at least he's genuine, prepared and cares about our game.
                    Last edited by Puck Swami; 03-21-2010, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      Win.
                      Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

The mullet rules

All you guys know more about College Hockey than he does so why does what he says bother you? He's not as annoying as Boob Norton.

I don't who the other zipperhead was, but he saw a team play in November and therefore they are great
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

He's the Mike Eruzioni of pro hockey......but I'm not sure what Melrose actually did.

I'm probably in the minority but I enjoy Bob "prep school" Norton.
                          Last edited by Greyeagle; 03-21-2010, 04:07 PM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            Barry Melrose is a brand. Taking a page from the Don Cherry school of 'unique screen presence', Melrose has extended his mediocre coaching career into a well-paying ESPN analyst gig by carving out his differentitiation from the standard bland sycophant types of TV people.

The look of the brand is fronted by his distinctive mullet, paired with a loud suit and supported by blustery blowhard comments that nobody else would say. Don Cherry called Melrose "Billy Ray Cypress" (sic) on CBC TV for years, in homage to the early 90s mullet of Miley Cyrus' one-hit, Achy-breaky father, Billy Ray Cyrus. The difference between Cherry and Melrose is that Cherry does more homework, and is a more of Canadian nationalist/traditionalist. Cherry's blowhard comments are almost always traceable to that bedrock.

Melrose's bombast is more all over the board, and his condescension to college hockey is reflected in his lack of preparation and his lack of care. ESPN doesn't really care about college hockey either, and that's why they don't care about his lack of preparation or his bombast. They think Melrose will add some hockey cred that might not otherwise be there for the casual audience, and to an extent, they are right about that. Melrose is at home in the NHL world, and for Joe six-pack who channelsurfs into the NCAA hockey broadcast on ESPN, seeing the Mullet does gives the NCAA brand of hockey some level of credibility...

ESPN's late Tom Mees, who loved college hockey and cared deepy about broadcasting the NCAA Frozen Four with respect and serious effort, would be flabbergasted to see Melrose's lack of preparation and the insulting condescension that comes out of Melrose's mouth. I miss Mees and so does our game.

But this is our reality. ESPN broadcasts college hockey because it must as part of a larger NCAA deal for other sports. I wish we could get someone with more love of the college game, but we are stuck with Mullet. It's a curse for the serious college hockey fan. And while Bob Norton makes some ears bleed with his regionalism, his accent and his constant references to player origins, at least he's genuine, prepared and cares about our game.
                            Excellent post,Swami. Nicely argued and impressively written.
                            Be careful,though, one of the Cambridge townies and Harvard-wanna-
                            bes may accuse of having gone to Yale. ROFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                              I agree 100% with this.

Originally posted by goalie heckler View Post
                              I enjoyed how his cronies mixed Minnesota-Duluth's storyline with North Dakota's...

"North Dakota had to win to get into the tournament..." Really? Awesome they got a 2 seed.
                              When I heard him say that, I laughed for the better part of 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X