Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Regional: #1 Wisconsin vs. #4 Vermont, #2 St. Cloud vs. #3 Northern Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: West Regional: #1 Wisconsin vs. #4 Vermont, #2 St. Cloud vs. #3 Northern Michigan

Originally posted by HuskySieve View Post
    Can St. Cloud finally break the losing streak?
    Nope, the Badgers are going to spoil their postseason. The way that the UW and SCSU traded wins this year, its the Baders' turn to win.
    Im OK with that, you guys can have the win in the WCHA tourney, I'll take a UW win in the tourney that counts.
    A Badger living in Buckeye country.
    Originally posted by MadCityRich
    He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
    Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
    "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Re: West Regional: #1 Wisconsin vs. #4 Vermont, #2 St. Cloud vs. #3 Northern Michigan

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
      Nope, the Badgers are going to spoil their postseason. The way that the UW and SCSU traded wins this year, its the Baders' turn to win.
      Im OK with that, you guys can have the win in the WCHA tourney, I'll take a UW win in the tourney that counts.
      Well, if that's the case it means that St. Cloud broke the streak. Which is by far and away goal #1 right now. If that happens we'll worry about those pesky BADgers.

Side note: I did get to sit by some pretty cool Badger fans this past weekend at the X. A lot of good natured ribbing back and forth. We had a UMD couple quite upset at us for getting "a bit too loud" I believe were the exact words. Yes, at a hockey game.

Comment

I think this is SCSU's best chance yet to break their o-fer streak. But, I've thought that in the past too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin View Post
          I think this is SCSU's best chance yet to break their o-fer streak. But, I've thought that in the past too.
          Well of course it is. I'd put their chances of breaking the streak in prior years as a big fat 0 (at least until Doc gets his hands on a Delorean and a flux capacitor).

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
            Well of course it is. I'd put their chances of breaking the streak in prior years as a big fat 0 (at least until Doc gets his hands on a Delorean and a flux capacitor).
            While I can't site specifica examples, 'cause my memory just isn't that good, I know there was a year or two when they were the higher seed and people would have said that they "should have" won their first round matchup.

Comment

While I can't site specifica examples, 'cause my memory just isn't that good, I know there was a year or two when they were the higher seed and people would have said that they "should have" won their first round matchup.

Read Innova's post again.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                Wow all this thread has been is talk about hotel and food. How about some hockey.
                So not knowing much about Vermont's hockey team, Vermont fans give me a few reasons why you think you can beat UW. Statistically Vermont looks ho-hum, but number don't mean everything unless it's the seeding for this tournement. What are your strengths and weaknesses?

UW will beat Vermont because: Wisconsin can roll 4 quality lines all night, and their 2nd line is a first line on 95% of the teams playing D1 hockey. Same goes for the 3 D pairing. No weak links. Scoring statistically has been great all year. Team D system play has been solid all year.

UW will lose to Vermont because: The pp has been less than impressive the last 3 weeks. Related to the pp, UW hasn't won a game all year where they score 3 goals or less.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  So not knowing much about Vermont's hockey team, Vermont fans give me a few reasons why you think you can beat UW. Statistically Vermont looks ho-hum, but number don't mean everything unless it's the seeding for this tournement. What are your strengths and weaknesses?

UW will beat Vermont because: Wisconsin can roll 4 quality lines all night, and their 2nd line is a first line on 95% of the teams playing D1 hockey. Same goes for the 3 D pairing. No weak links. Scoring statistically has been great all year. Team D system play has been solid all year.

UW will lose to Vermont because: The pp has been less than impressive the last 3 weeks. Related to the pp, UW hasn't won a game all year where they score 3 goals or less.
                  I'll throw in a few more reasons UW could lose...goaltending, play of dmen in their own zone, and discipline. Guddy has been solid in goal, but still makes me nervous and there always seems to be one head scratching goal allowed per weekend (which in a one and done tourney can be one to many). The UW dcorp is one for the ages as far as raw talent and likely impact on the next level, however at times the dzone play can get sloppy (Brendan Smith has made such incredible strides compared to the prior 2 years in his own end...but he still will not be mistaken for Scott Stevens or Larry Robinson). Last, some of the worst games from this season that I can recollect involve a steady parade to the box, especially by the leadership. If McDonagh is getting cuaght up with multiple penalties with Geoffrion joining the parade...things may not go well for Bucky.

Comment

UVM will beat Wisconsin if : They move their feet, especially the D. The defense is relatively veteran ladden and large ( avg 6'3" 215 if I'm not mistaken). They can be physical and they can hold even an offensive minded team to few points (see UNH 1-0, 1-0, and Yale 1-0 games). Rob Madore is as good a goalie in the country when he is on his mark. Offense can score, but when they try the run and gun game they come out on the short end, they will most like slow down the pace and look for transition opportunities. Some will call it boring, I say if it results in a W I don't care.

Wisconsin will flatten UVM if : The D stand around in awe (see first period HE semis against BC) and don't play hard. They have also been know to take turns keep the penalty box bench warm. If Madore is not on his game, and/or the offense fail to show up. This team has been nothing if not inconsistant. When they show up they are tough, but that seems to only happen about half the time though.

UVM special teams have been off and on. Currently PK has been ok but the PP....well they may as well continue 5 on 5.

On a positive note for UVM fans, they were spectators in the semi-finals, so maybe they actually show up for the UW game.
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

IMO, the only team that can beat the UW is the UW itself. This is the Badgers' game to win, all they need to do is play hard and execute.
                      A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                      Originally posted by MadCityRich
                      He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                      Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                      Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                      "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Who are the Zebra's going to be for these games? We're going to be blessed with the finest the EZAC or Hockey Least has to offer, right?
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

OK is it just me or is there a vast lack of outrage over the inclusion for these frauds from the "Green Mountain State" earning a bid to this year's NCAA playoffs? I do not care how the teams are chosen (whether it be by Pair Wise rankings or by some elderly Hungarian woman reading tea leaves and searching a crystal ball) there is just NO WAY Vermont should have earned a bid! This is a team that finished in EIGHTH PLACE in Hockey East and had the second lowest number of in-conference wins. Even the team that finished in ninth place (Northeastern) had TWO MORE CONFERENCE WINS than the Catamounts! Apparently no one on the selection committee bothered to even attend but one Vermont game for if they had Vermont would never have passed the most reliable test of all: THE "EYEBALL" TEST! All one needed to do is see them play and that would have been enough to throw them into the heap with all the other "also rans"!

...and please spare me any argument that their performance against New Hampshire was worthy of a bid. UNH has been fading faster than a winter tan over the past month and it will be of no surprise to see the 'cats bounced from tournament in short order.

I am sorry! There is just no way these mopes from Vermont were bid-worthy!
                          "Love means never having to say you are sorry." Oliver Barrett, IV from the movie "Love Story". The cinematic masterpiece that forever immortalizes a CORNELL victory over CRIMSON vermin!

Comment

i think scsu would have a better chance to break the streak if they were playing UW or Vermont then N. Mich. They are a very very good hockey team, well coached and playing with a lot of confidence right now. Them and Michigan are playing the best hockey in the CCHA right now. Not to mention they have been under the radar all season long, similar to vermont last season. I'm not going to look past N. Mich. by any means as a badger fan, they are a legit sleeper to get to Detroit.
                            The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by BeloBrasil View Post

I am sorry! There is just no way these mopes from Vermont were bid-worthy!
                              Wrong thread....Back to hockey talk.

I was illuding to UW's possible goaltending issue with this stat: UW hasn't won a game all year where they score 3 goals or less. Goody keeps them in games, but other than a fine 1-1 tie and 2-2 tie, there hasn't been more than 1 game he stole. Sounds like Vermont won 3 games 1-0; that's impressive.

So basically Vermont will try and slow it down for a 2-1 win and UW will try and buzz through them for a 5-2 win.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Wrong thread....Back to hockey talk.

I was illuding to UW's possible goaltending issue with this stat: UW hasn't won a game all year where they score 3 goals or less. Goody keeps them in games, but other than a fine 1-1 tie and 2-2 tie, there hasn't been more than 1 game he stole. Sounds like Vermont won 3 games 1-0; that's impressive.

So basically Vermont will try and slow it down for a 2-1 win and UW will try and buzz through them for a 5-2 win.
                                You got it. UVM either plays a great defensive game or gets killed (when they lose they tend to get dominated, it might not show up in the score but there is no in between). Also and this is a BIG BIG BIG killer, they have a very NASTY habit of letting up goals in the last minute/first minute of a period. This has been a pattern all season long. If UW scores in either of those call it a game.

If the UVM D can play a physical game (they have the size) they are very good at clogging the lanes and going into transition.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about taking penalties if I were UW, UVM couldn't score a PP goal into an empty net....for some reason much better 5x5.

Comment

Working...
                                X