No announcement yet.

Midwest Regional, Miami vs. Alabama-Huntsville, Bemidji State vs. Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Midwest Regional, Miami vs. Alabama-Huntsville, Bemidji State vs. Michigan

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    Ive never been there. How is it? I will have to consider it the next time I get back.
    I liked it the last couple times I went - though I haven't been back to FWA in over a year - so I hope they have kept up the quality.

Comment

• Re: Midwest Regional, Miami vs. Alabama-Huntsville, Bemidji State vs. Michigan

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
      So it is relevant to you, that Miami split with UNO, but when only 7 days earlier Michigan gets swept by that same UNO squad and that loses all basis. You're the one that brought up the Maverick vs Miami games. If you're going to pick games from a teams schedule to put them down, don't act like your boys are unblemished. Do a little fact checking, or maybe have a memory that doesn't go back to last Wednesday.
      Ok, let me put the facts and logic together for you, Mr. hot-n'-bothered.

I suggested that Miami has been complacent since the end of the season, starting with the UNO loss. I wasn't putting them "down". Going into JLA, they were 4-2-1 in their last seven games. Now they are 5-3-1. A bit of a concern for a team that only lost 7 times all season. It has no relevance to what Michigan's season was or the series they lost to UNO. We're quite aware of where we finished then- 2-4 to end the season. But we are talking about now, with a CCHA tourney banner. Different attitude, different confidence and a 6-0 run in the playoffs.

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
      Wait, let me check. Yep, I admitted that we played bad, and that game was still only a couple bounces away from being closer than it was.
      Yep, what you are being is dismissive, more of a case of your team playing poorly than Michigan playing well. The game was Friday, your team lost rather convincingly, your goaltender got yanked, and you want to act as if it was a one goal game until the last minute. Get over it, you may get a chance for redemption this Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
        She'll be a good pick-up for us...great stickhandler, willing to take the body and I hear she's got some real nice moves down low.
        Nice one, woody. But I have concerns that she has used up her eligibility already.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Nice one, woody. But I have concerns that she has used up her eligibility already.
          Hee hee.... "used up"...... hee hee

/end butthead
          Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Who hates Huntsville?

I hate Miami! (well, mostly Rico and some of the fans I've met). Go UAH!

I'm trying to figure out how to get to these games when I was expecting to have last weekend and this weekend off from hockey. Not that I mind.

Maybe I'll pack my Bemidji hat in case bad things happen Saturday and I have to cheer for someone other that Michigan on Sunday.

I think any of the teams can win this regional, but UAH would be a surprise.

I used to like the NCAA tournament because I'd get to see teams I haven't seen. Last season I went to a UAH at Bemidji series (with some other posters), and now I get to watch these teams again. Oh, and Miami. I've seen Miami play often enough. Though I've yet to tire of yelling "stand up Rico!". lol, short jokes are fun since I'm equally short.

Hope everyone that makes it to the games has fun. I'd say my standard "come say hi" but I may blend in with a bunch of other Michigan fans in Fort Wayne. Hopefully there are a bunch. I heard our ticket office had "a surprisingly low number of tickets" in their allotment. That shouldn't prevent a huge fan turnout though.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              Who hates Huntsville?

I hate Miami! (well, mostly Rico and some of the fans I've met). Go UAH!

I'm trying to figure out how to get to these games when I was expecting to have last weekend and this weekend off from hockey. Not that I mind.

Maybe I'll pack my Bemidji hat in case bad things happen Saturday and I have to cheer for someone other that Michigan on Sunday.

I think any of the teams can win this regional, but UAH would be a surprise.

I used to like the NCAA tournament because I'd get to see teams I haven't seen. Last season I went to a UAH at Bemidji series (with some other posters), and now I get to watch these teams again. Oh, and Miami. I've seen Miami play often enough. Though I've yet to tire of yelling "stand up Rico!". lol, short jokes are fun since I'm equally short.

Hope everyone that makes it to the games has fun. I'd say my standard "come say hi" but I may blend in with a bunch of other Michigan fans in Fort Wayne. Hopefully there are a bunch. I heard our ticket office had "a surprisingly low number of tickets" in their allotment. That shouldn't prevent a huge fan turnout though.
              I just hope your band can find something to play other than the fight song! Despite having nearly nothing to cheer for on Friday from a Miami standpoint, I almost lost my voice singing the alternative words to Victors. Hopefully the opposing team can help by keeping you off the scoreboard, or at least below 5...

And surprised to hear a Michigan fan complaining about another team's fans
              Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                Ok, let me put the facts and logic together for you, Mr. hot-n'-bothered.

I suggested that Miami has been complacent since the end of the season, starting with the UNO loss. I wasn't putting them "down". Going into JLA, they were 4-2-1 in their last seven games. Now they are 5-3-1. A bit of a concern for a team that only lost 7 times all season. It has no relevance to what Michigan's season was or the series they lost to UNO. We're quite aware of where we finished then- 2-4 to end the season. But we are talking about now, with a CCHA tourney banner. Different attitude, different confidence and a 6-0 run in the playoffs.

Yep, what you are being is dismissive, more of a case of your team playing poorly than Michigan playing well. The game was Friday, your team lost rather convincingly, your goaltender got yanked, and you want to act as if it was a one goal game until the last minute. Get over it, you may get a chance for redemption this Sunday.
                Streaker, I believe mcfarljd's Rico boxer shorts are in a bunch since his team somehow did not win the CCHA Tournament. Using one of his favorite descriptions, Miami got steamrolled in the semifinals.

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
                  I almost lost my voice singing the alternative words to Victors.
                  Remember to do the sig heil, as well.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I just hope your band can find something to play other than the fight song! Despite having nearly nothing to cheer for on Friday from a Miami standpoint, I almost lost my voice singing the alternative words to Victors. Hopefully the opposing team can help by keeping you off the scoreboard, or at least below 5...

How foolish of me. I apologize for forgetting that ALL Michigan fans are arrogant a**holes and ALL fans of EVERY other team are perfect little angels. My bad.

I'll try to have more respect for a school where the head coach curses at opposing fans, some fans throw things at opposing fans, and one of my personal favorites, a school that some popped-collar student tells my friends and I to stop cheering and having fun. We had a lot of fun with that kid:

Popped collar: why are you cheering?
                    traveling Michigan fans: why aren't you? why are you wearing green? why aren't you supporting your school and at the very least wearing a school color?
                    Popped collar: I'm going to the bar afterwards and have to look good

As I said, I mostly hate Rico and some Miami fans. We've met some good ones as well.

As for the band, don't worry, if you're in attendance you will get to hear plenty more of The Victors and Let's Go Blue. I agree they're over-played but they get our fans out of the seats and cheering, and at least they are Michigan songs. Better than playing the same crap every other band plays, or using the other school's original songs (or bad arrangements of them) while playing that team.

Unfortunately we couldn't hear your band on the other end of the Joe.

But enough talk of fans and bands. I'm looking forward to some great hockey!
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G
                    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                    2 Alaskan

Comment

If you ask me, I really, really hope you hear the "Victors" so much that your ears begin to bleed. Especially if they are all for goals.

Does our band play the same stuff over and over? of course they do- and our crowd loves it- and that's all that really matters to them. Do they care if the opponenet hates hearing "Lets Go Blue" or "the Victors" or parts of "Temptation"- yes- and thats' WHY they play it so much. Kind of the point of the band- get their team's fans excited, and to get under the skin of the opposition.

(question, though- do they pipe in recorded music sometimes at Groggin? I was stunned to hear it over the TV at Munn....)

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                        How foolish of me. I apologize for forgetting that ALL Michigan fans are arrogant a**holes and ALL fans of EVERY other team are perfect little angels. My bad.

I'll try to have more respect for a school where the head coach curses at opposing fans, some fans throw things at opposing fans, and one of my personal favorites, a school that some popped-collar student tells my friends and I to stop cheering and having fun. We had a lot of fun with that kid:

Popped collar: why are you cheering?
                        traveling Michigan fans: why aren't you? why are you wearing green? why aren't you supporting your school and at the very least wearing a school color?
                        Popped collar: I'm going to the bar afterwards and have to look good

As I said, I mostly hate Rico and some Miami fans. We've met some good ones as well.

As for the band, don't worry, if you're in attendance you will get to hear plenty more of The Victors and Let's Go Blue. I agree they're over-played but they get our fans out of the seats and cheering, and at least they are Michigan songs. Better than playing the same crap every other band plays, or using the other school's original songs (or bad arrangements of them) while playing that team.

Unfortunately we couldn't hear your band on the other end of the Joe.

But enough talk of fans and bands. I'm looking forward to some great hockey!
                        It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. They need a smiley for that, but it would probably look inappropriate.

I actually did not meet any bad UM fans this past weekend, and I know there are some bad eggs in every basket. Perhaps Miami fans throwing things were just taking a page out of the UM fans that were sitting behind me 2 years ago throwing ice cream balls at the band the entire game. And, fortunately, the Miami band only needed to be heard by the fans on their end of the ice. Sorry Miami couldn't bring half of their marching band, too, seeing as the drive from Oxford is slightly longer and our budget slightly smaller.

Here's hoping that, should we meet again this weekend, Miami will at least make a game out of it. I have a feeling Rico and boys will play with a little more fire than they did this past Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          If you ask me, I really, really hope you hear the "Victors" so much that your ears begin to bleed. Especially if they are all for goals.

Does our band play the same stuff over and over? of course they do- and our crowd loves it- and that's all that really matters to them. Do they care if the opponenet hates hearing "Lets Go Blue" or "the Victors" or parts of "Temptation"- yes- and thats' WHY they play it so much. Kind of the point of the band- get their team's fans excited, and to get under the skin of the opposition.

(question, though- do they pipe in recorded music sometimes at Groggin? I was stunned to hear it over the TV at Munn....)
                          Not saying that Victors doesn't do the job for your band and fans. It undoubtedly does. But certainly gets boring for the opposing fans when there's nothing on the ice worth watching.

And yes, unfortunately they pump in some canned stuff during promos at the Goggin rather than letting the band play. Seems to be the trend, these days.

Comment

Not saying that Victors doesn't do the job for your band and fans. It undoubtedly does. But certainly gets boring for the opposing fans when there's nothing on the ice worth watching.
                            Well, all I can say to that is that it sucks to be you. As you are aware, our band isn't there to entertain you, it's for us. So if your team plays badly, and we get to hear the Victors a lot, well, so be it. I'm not going to apologize for that.

Just like you shouldn't if we had to hear your fight song for the same exact thing.
                            And yes, unfortunately they pump in some canned stuff during promos at the Goggin rather than letting the band play. Seems to be the trend, these days.
                            that is really, really, really too bad. Thankfully, we don't at Yost, and if they did, I'm sure I would not be the first or only fan that would vehemently protest for anything but the tired old same old same old songs from our Hockey Band.

I personally hate piped in music, and when I suggested to Colorado College fans that they get a real band for some decent atmosphere, they jumped all over me. Too bad for you guys- your music department should stand up for itself, and play over the piped in crap.

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
                              Hee hee.... "used up"...... hee hee

/end butthead
                              Good thing Red isn't recruiting her as a goaltender.

Comment

Should we start talking hockey anytime soon?

We hear that Summers *might* be back this weekend- he skated with the team on Saturday before the CCHA Championship game. No word on Hogan's recovery, but even if he's ok, I'm pretty sure Hunwick will get the start.

Probably don't need to tell you all that our team is finally playing as we expected- streaker can supply the stats, but Loiue is scoring in bunches, once again, so our second line is quite strong. And the first line of Rust, Hagelin, and Lynch is doing their part- Hagelin has scored in 14 of the last 15??? Is that right?

Even though, we will likely be the away team for the rest of the season, it does not seem to matter much who is lined up against who- all of the lines are attacking and back checking quite aggressively.

If there's still a major fault in our game, its some occasional poor decisions by the D when breaking out of our zone. Happened in both the Miami and Northern games a few times, lead to one goal in each game, too.

Hunwick's game has improved a lot in the short time he's been the #1 goalie. He did over commit a badly a few times against MSU, and he's getting a lot better at it. Seems like he's a pretty calm player, who absorbs a lot of what is going on to improve his game. Still is giving up some bad rebounds, but, again, they get fewer and fewer as he plays. If anything, the best part about his progression is that he's a legitimate threat for #1 next year assuming we don't find another to replace that kid who decided not to attend UM.

Other HUGE improvements are the lessening of dumb penalties. I think they realize that they can't leave Shawn high and dry. Not to say that it's fixed, but the amount it's been reduced is pretty nice.

All in all, IF (and that's a really big if) they continue to play as they have for the last three weeks, they CAN beat anyone. But it's not "will", and it's still an IF. For the most part, most of us are so happy with what has happened for the last three weeks, I'm way beyond gravy- this is desert, and a fine after dinner drink. Lets have some FUN!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X