• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Format for 2011 WCHA final Five

Sorry for the new thread....thought this was important

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...Unciaec8O7EyUr

highlights -
    6 teams get in. 3-6 and 4-5 play Thursday. Winners play the 1st and 2nd seeds on Friday. Championship game on Saturday night.

NO THIRD PLACE GAME!

Xcel is working on scheduling a Wild game on Saturday afternoon as a warm up for the championship game...wondering how this will work ticket-wise?

The name will stay the same and refer to the number of games instead of the number of teams.

Re: Format for 2011 WCHA final Five

I thought this type of format was a no-brainer. You win a first round playoff series, you go to the conference tourney. I'm glad common sense won out in the end over some of the crazy ideas that were tossed around.

The third place game had little value, other than to get another gate grab ($$$) from the fans of the teams that lost on Friday. Whether it stayed or went didn't really matter to me. Maybe you could make the argument that a borderline team might need one more good win to make the NCAA field, but you have a whole regular season to position yourself so you don't have to worry about trying to get one more win the last weekend of the season.

Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

This is a good one. i like it.
      Go Gophers Go.

Comment

Great Format, I would love to see a Wild vs Detroit or Wild vs. Colorado game as the warm up or of course good ole Vancouver
        - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
        Go you Green and White
        Go Bemidji Beavers
        Fight with all your might!
        Rah! Rah! Rah!
        We are here to cheer you
        We are out to win your fame,
        So, Go Bemidji Beavers
        Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

This was an attendance nightmare for the CCHA Super 6 on Thursday. Format was scrapped petty quickly.

However, if there is one conference that can pull it off, it's the WCHA. They have enough fan base to get people there for the entire weekend. CCHA relies heavily on 2 teams. I will definitely watch on FSN or whoever carries it.
          Anybody but Northern

Comment

I'm okay with this format for the next few years at least. It's pretty equitable to all the WCHA teams, allows for a full set of 6 x (2 or 3) playoff games the weekend before, and will bring in the maximum revenue for the conference. UMD and UND have proven that a team can play three games and win the Broadmoor, in consecutive years no less, so that's not as big an issue as it once was.

However, I expect the WCHA front office to pay attention to how often the 3-6 seeds advance beyond one game in the NCAAs. Having four of twelve teams beat each other up in the Final Five could impact how often WCHA teams get into the Frozen Four. I'm not sure this is worth the tradeoff in increased revenue, but we'll have to see whether there really is an impact.
            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

IMHO, the lack of a third place game is a big drawback to traveling fans.

In the current format, if your team is ranked 1-3, you know they are going to play two games. If you're ranked 4-5, you know that if you win one game, you're guaranteed three games. As a traveling fan, getting the reward of seeing your team two or three times makes up for the travel and expense in St. Paul. This weekend, the risk/reward to me for North Dakota was worth the trip.

Next year, the guaranteed games for each team is only one. So, a fan has to be a fan of the league or college hockey in general... I just don' t know about the committment of most fans on this one. I think most folks come to see their team, not the WCHA. ...would be interesting to see what a Denver, CC, Michigan Tech, Alaska-Anchorage, Omaha, and Bemidji Final Five would do to attendance TWO YEARS IN A ROW.

Again, having a two-game guarantee (when you earn it) seems like a very valuable thing to the traveling fan. Next year, two teams would earn a three-game guarantee on Thursday, if there was a Third Place game.

(Finally, I will admit that the chance at a National Championship is the ultimate prize and that playing so many games in the last few weeks is rough. However, the Final Five has consistently been a much better event than the Regionals/Frozen Four for fans.)
              Last edited by goalie heckler; 03-21-2010, 02:10 PM.
              Anthem singers should not be American idol wannabes. - Dubbie31

Comment

Originally posted by goalie heckler View Post

In the current format, if your team is ranked 1-3, you know they are going to play two games. If you're ranked 4-5, you know that if you win one game, you're guaranteed three games. As a traveling fan, getting the reward of seeing your team two or three times makes up for the travel and expense in St. Paul. This weekend, the risk/reward to me for North Dakota was worth the trip.

Next year, the guaranteed games for each team is only one. So, a fan has to be a fan of the league or college hockey in general... I just don' t know about the committment of most fans on this one. I think most folks come to see their team, not the WCHA. ...would be interesting to see what a Denver, CC, Michigan Tech, Alaska-Anchorage, Omaha, and Bemidji Final Five would do to attendance TWO YEARS IN A ROW.

Again, having a two-game guarantee (when you earn it) seems like a very valuable thing to the traveling fan. Next year, two teams would earn a three-game guarantee on Thursday, if there was a Third Place game.

(Finally, I will admit that the chance at a National Championship is the ultimate prize and that playing so many games in the last few weeks is rough. However, the Final Five has consistently been a much better event than the Regionals/Frozen Four for fans.)
                I don't think the 1 vs 2 games in a weekend is a big deal. Its the same format as the NCAA tournament. You travel for 1 guaranteed game, and if you win you get a 2nd one. Same expense issues.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Consolation games are terrible. All conferences should do away with them, and I am very glad the WCHA is doing without them.

If you lose the play-in or semifinal game, you don't deserve another chance to improve your PWR or NCAA tournament worth. Makes winning MUCH more valuable.
                  BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                  National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                  Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                    I don't think the 1 vs 2 games in a weekend is a big deal. Its the same format as the NCAA tournament. You travel for 1 guaranteed game, and if you win you get a 2nd one. Same expense issues.
                    Maybe you're unfamiliar with the average Regional attendance verses the Final Five attendance... because you seem to contradict yourself. The Final Five is much better attended.

Have you ever travelled to a Final Five or NCAA Regional?

Comment

Maybe you're unfamiliar with the average Regional attendance verses the Final Five attendance... because you seem to contradict yourself. The Final Five is much better attended.

This is the sad part about college sports now-a-days. Its more about attendance than the teams on the ice.
                      BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                      Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Yes to both. Of course the FF has only been in 1 other state (WI) which isnt that far away.

Plus with 5 Minnesota based teams going forward, you would think the attendance will still be good as the local teams and alumni show up.
                        Last edited by JF_Gophers; 03-21-2010, 03:05 PM.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
                          This is the sad part about college sports now-a-days. Its more about attendance than the teams on the ice.
                          You don't enjoy watching your team?

You don't think that crowds make it more enjoyable for the players?

Good attendance and quality play aren't exclusive. You can have both. So, I don't know what you're advocating... would you like the games to be played without fans?

Comment

You don't enjoy watching your team?

You don't think that crowds make it more enjoyable for the players?

Good attendance and quality play aren't exclusive. You can have both. So, I don't know what you're advocating... would you like the games to be played without fans?
                            Wow, talk about skewing a post to read what you want to read.

Fact is you said there should be a consolation because of attendance, when in reality attendance shouldn't play a factor. The only reason there are consolation games now is because its a way to make more money. However, these conference tournament games should be about earning your spot in the next round and if you don't, you shouldn't get a chance to improve your NCAA tournament status like now.

It will be a great day when conference tournaments a) stop allowing all teams to make the postseason and b) stop having consolation games.

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Most locals to the F5 (no matter what fanbase) don't even bother with a 3rd place game.

Also, many people take the F5 Thursday off, anyways, so now instead of hanging out somewhere, they actually get to see a game they care about.

I like it.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                              X