Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official "My team got screwed" thread for the 2010 NCAA Tunament (attn newbies)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The official "My team got screwed" thread for the 2010 NCAA Tunament (attn newbies)

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    The analogy here would be if all colleges threw out the SAT/ACT, and only used high school class rank to make admissions decisions. You'd have no way to measure kids nationally (or high schools nationally)...
    So you see the point I was making, then.
    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

• Re: The official "My team got screwed" thread for the 2010 NCAA Tunament (attn newbies)

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
      The furthest MN will travel for an away game is to the the Xcel Energy Center. And we get the night game. M&M's shall be provided but the red & green ones must be removed.
      Ummm, excuse me Your Royal Greyness, I have a follow-up question directly related to the presence of M&Ms in the tournament. Now that the NFL owners have passed these new-fangled OT rules, http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/23/n...t-rule-change/ if one of this week's NCAA hockey games goes into OT which team will kick off? Will there still be plenty of time to show college lacrosse? Will any of this diminish the Golden Golfers' chances in the Stay-At-Home-Regional?

Signed, Barry Melrose
      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
        Where is Ferris ranked 8th?
        We were 8th in last week's USCHO poll, which is about as useless as Richard Simmons in a whorehouse.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by UMLfan44 View Post
          This is not a '' my team got screwed '' reply(that was last year) but it is about a lousy Vermont team, that finished 8th in the hockey east and somehow was ranked 14th(because of the bs OOC record) and even worse was chosen over a much more deserving Ferris State(ranked 8th), they certainly got SCREWED.

So 2 years in a row UV has gotten in the dance undeservedly so.

This ranking system s-u-c-k-s and conference games SHOULD MEAN MORE than OOC games, the rule makers have it backwards.

Or maybe UV has just bought the rights to be included in the best 16 teams which they are clearly not even close!

Nothing against UV or their fans, i am just pointing out the injustice to the rest of the more deserving teams.
          In a standard Hockey East schedule there are 27 games against 9 opponents... there are 7 games against the other 48. So, in conference play should mean more?

I mean, by all means, lets go with Dobbs and go by conference records while we're at it. The issue here is that Hockey East had an unheard of tight year. If UVM had two more points in league and lost two more out of league we wouldn't be having this discussion 'cause they would have finished in 6th... swap 3 points and they'd be tied for third.

Its hockey... things are going to be inconsistent because teams are harder to separate.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            We were 8th in last week's USCHO poll, which is about as useless as Richard Simmons in a whorehouse.
            Ah, gotcha. This was the 2nd time I'd seen someone post that (also on the ESPN conversation).
            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
            -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
              In a standard Hockey East schedule there are 27 games against 9 opponents... there are 7 games against the other 48. So, in conference play should mean more?

I mean, by all means, lets go with Dobbs and go by conference records while we're at it. The issue here is that Hockey East had an unheard of tight year. If UVM had two more points in league and lost two more out of league we wouldn't be having this discussion 'cause they would have finished in 6th... swap 3 points and they'd be tied for third.

Its hockey... things are going to be inconsistent because teams are harder to separate.
              And to further your point...if UVM loses to denver 2 times (-1 ooc and yale -1 ooc win respectively) and picks up a win over UMass or Maine and Merrimack (add 2 wins) then UVM is OUT of the tourney as it stands today.

Comment

Any system where it can be more advantageous to lose than to win is not a very good system. As Herm Edwards said: “You play to win the game”. Unfortunately, there are instances with the pairwise when this may not be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  I'm not sure this analogy works. If the whores are on the chubby side, perhaps Richard could get them on a workout plan. This might be quite useful.
                  Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

• Re: The official "My team got screwed" thread for the 2010 NCAA Tunament (attn newbie

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                    Ferris State even beat Alaska in their pairwise comparison.

However, here's where they lost out to Alaska: They had a bad record against teams under consideration. They went 6-10-3 against Miami, Alaska, Northern Michigan, Yale, Nebraska-Omaha, Michigan State and Michigan.

This lost them two comparisons with teams lower than them in the final standings.

The advantages of a fully transparent system include that a team bemoaning its fate can see exactly what it failed to do in order to get a tournament bid.
                    Ah, so this is how I interpret this sweet system.

Alaska went 18-11-9, FSU 21-13-6.

Vs. TUC
                    Alaska 6-7-6 FSU 6-10-3 (If I did my math right)

Vs. Non-TUC
                    Alaska 12-4-3 FSU 15-3-3

So Alaska basically had 3 ties ilo losses compared to FSU vs. TUC, and that got them in, right?

BUT, what is not counted is that FSU had 3 more wins than Alaska and 1 less loss vs. Non-TUC. So basically the system doesn't really count 19 games of Alaska's sked and 21 games of FSU's schedule beyond qualifying them as a TUC? Sure seems silly to me to just draw the line at 25 teams, and no use the 26th team. For example:

So if they each had played the 26th TUC twice and FSU swept them, but Alaska was swept, then THAT would have not been counted, unless somehow that 26th team had slipped ahead of the 25th ranked team by virtue of the result of the third place game in the WCHA tourney?

C'mon, you gotta think that this is hokey as heck to determine those last few spots... A system that doesn't count more than half of your schedule... And people hate the BCS or want to eliminate the auto-bids for winning a 12-team tourney. At least that is clear cut how to get in...
                    Go Blue!

Comment

All games are factored into the ratings (except exhibitions).

If the game doesn't fall into the TUC, COP, or H2H categories, it is still counted as part of a team's RPI. So whether that game is against the #26 team in terms of RPI or the top team, it's still counted - it just isn't as important.

Comment

Funny thing is, if Ferris had taken even one game against Alaska, instead of being swept, they'd have been in the tournament. They lost comparisons with both Michigan and Michigan State, 3-2. That one extra win would've flipped the COP portion of both of those, giving Ferris the 3-2 win against each, and two more PWR wins. And that's just what I saw right off, it might've helped other portions of their comparisons with other teams too.

Comment

I am still confused why Michigan Tech didn't make the tournament. Can someone explain this to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
                            I am still confused why Michigan Tech didn't make the tournament. Can someone explain this to me?
                            Eastern Bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                              All games are factored into the ratings (except exhibitions).

If the game doesn't fall into the TUC, COP, or H2H categories, it is still counted as part of a team's RPI. So whether that game is against the #26 team in terms of RPI or the top team, it's still counted - it just isn't as important.
                              Start factoring in exhibitions! Maine beat the holy **** out of New Brunswick. A team that up to that point in the season had not lost to any ncaa teams and only loss was to the portland pirates of the ahl. Put that in your out of conference pipe and smoke it vermont!

Comment

Originally posted by DownEastblkbearfan View Post
                                Start factoring in exhibitions! Maine beat the holy **** out of New Brunswick. A team that up to that point in the season had not lost to any ncaa teams and only loss was to the portland pirates of the ahl. Put that in your out of conference pipe and smoke it vermont!
                                Sooooooo bitter

Maybe we could also stop factoring in the ECAC. Then those two losses to Union wouldn't have hurt so much. Or the tie with Princeton .......

But yeah, lets count playing a group of 17 year olds too, because that was a nice win for ME.

The system is known and it is clear. Teams know what they have to do and they either do it or they don't. 16 teams did and they are skating.
                                Originally posted by Hokydad
                                Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Working...
                                X