X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2010-11

Originally posted by Birds View Post
    Mr. Normandin: Your response is exactly what I expected . Continue to use the computer as your outlet and don't meet with Mr. Delventhal as others have done. Apparently, this is your preferred method of communication. How sad.
    Well "Birds", I like others have spoken to the man, hence the qualification in calling him Bruce Almighty. I do have respect for him, I have respect for his legitimate accomplishments, those who can do what I can't, and I mentioned earlier, I seriously doubt I could complete a bachelor's in sociology let alone a master's of divinity. That said, those obviously did not prepare him to be an Athletic Director, his sales manager skills in fishing/tackle were also good enough to fool the search committee who unfortunately allowed him to land a fish he can't handle, for this I have only disrespect for him. He can only fool people long enough, I have seen nothing from him other than the benefactor of circumstance – such as the NCAA’s urgent need of a replacement host and ORDA’s overwhelming ability to deliver – I give Bruce very little “unique” credit for bringing the games to Lake Placid, anyone in his role could have easily accomplished that. The Chip Cummings field is due to far more than Bruce’s efforts, so no points for him there either.
    Last edited by norm1909; 12-01-2010, 07:31 PM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by LoudHorns31 View Post
      not sure exactly what your talking about with the "timely reply" but we have heard that "call" from the band and screamed like always.....
      I moved to the otherside of the rink this year to section c. So I guess I can not hear you like I did when I was directly accross from you.

Comment

Originally posted by sticksnstones View Post
        1. Bruce has nothing to do with the success of the hockey team, if we are talking wins and losses.
        2. See my above post.
        3. Bruce has little to nothing to do with the traditions you posted. He doesn't do "programs", and those "programs" were generated in that manner well before Bruce. Tennis balls, errr I believe Oswego and Plattsburgh teamed up to do away with those because students weren't well versed on the tradition. I don't know Gary Glitter, I'm sure he was great, but Mad Dog is pretty good too, and Bruce had nothing to do with that. I miss Europe in the third period. That got us all going. However, Brucey has nothing to do with that as well.
        I never said Bruce had anything to do with the success of the team others did I was just pointing out that just because they are successful that does not mean he is a good AD. The renovations I meant thee fact that for 2 years the scoreboards have not worked correctly and he seems not to be worried about it. I was expecting to see new ones this year but nope. As for the rest of the renovations I would like to know how much input he did have. I was just mentioning the traditions that have long disappeared not saying he did away with it all but as everybody has said from the times of those traditions to now it is a completely different building and it seemed to happen right after the renovations.

Comment

I don't disagree that we need more participation and am happy to see the renewed interest by the students and yes, I do know coach's feelings on the subject since we have discussed this need. We all would love it if we could rock the place every week. The horns might help a little but I don't think that is the total answer because there are just too many people now who are contented to sit and watch only. As, for the A.D. issue, I just don't think that all of these issues can possibly fall on the head of one person. I have no other comments to make on this subject. I hope we can all go and enjoy this remaining hockey season and support our team.

Comment

Originally posted by Birds View Post
            I don't disagree that we need more participation and am happy to see the renewed interest by the students and yes, I do know coach's feelings on the subject since we have discussed this need. We all would love it if we could rock the place every week. The horns might help a little but I don't think that is the total answer because there are just too many people now who are contented to sit and watch only. As, for the A.D. issue, I just don't think that all of these issues can possibly fall on the head of one person. I have no other comments to make on this subject. I hope we can all go and enjoy this remaining hockey season and support our team.
            I disagree because if Bruce is indeed in charge of hiring or handing out the assignment of who plays the music and if it was his idea of the no noisemakers than it does fall on his shoulders. People want to use noise makers obviously because they have brought them in only to have security tell them no they can't use them. The student section has started chants but more is needed. Every hockey game I have ever went to no matter if the home team is losing the crowd would get into the game with music and the use of noisemakers. I still maintain that we do something for the Oswego game, they have the white out, so we (I am a big Calgary Flames fan) should create our own C of red. That could be one tradition started.

Comment

Originally posted by dmac1103 View Post
              I disagree because if Bruce is indeed in charge of hiring or handing out the assignment of who plays the music and if it was his idea of the no noisemakers than it does fall on his shoulders. People want to use noise makers obviously because they have brought them in only to have security tell them no they can't use them. The student section has started chants but more is needed. Every hockey game I have ever went to no matter if the home team is losing the crowd would get into the game with music and the use of noisemakers. I still maintain that we do something for the Oswego game, they have the white out, so we (I am a big Calgary Flames fan) should create our own C of red. That could be one tradition started.
              Bruce, I will admit does, much to his chagrin, have to work within the confines of the NCAA, but as he practices extremism, and as he is the AD he bears significant responsibly. As an alternative to the draconian appearance he has created of himself, by now he could have issued an approved/recommended list of fan participation aids. As a former co-worker and personal friend of Tim Clukey, the organist/sound effects operator at the hockey games for nearly 20 years, I have intentionally avoided commenting on the matter (his dismissal), as I recognize my personal bias shouldn't be a factor in the pros & cons of eliminating versus phasing out his historically very positive role in the fan entertainment at the arena. Biased, I will admit, but IMO, he deserved at least some recognition of his commitment, versus, IMO, being treated like a piece of worn out equipment and discarded. There has been some effort to increase fan participation, and the band has potential, but things such as this are not like on-off switches, or employees you can eliminate or threaten if they don’t comply, this needs to be phased in and tweaked for optimal results. Plattsburgh has significant potential, and has stood up to Bruce’s best efforts (or lack thereof) to knock them down. There are right ways to do things, and then there “is what it is”.
              Last edited by norm1909; 12-03-2010, 08:53 AM.
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                Bruce, I will admit does, much to his chagrin, have to work within the confines of the NCAA, but as he practices extremism, and as he is the AD he bears significant responsibly. As an alternative to the draconian appearance he has created of himself, by now he could have issued an approved/recommended list of fan participation aids. As a former co-worker and personal friend of Tim Clukey, the organist/sound effects operator at the hockey games for nearly 20 years, I have intentionally avoided commenting on the matter (his dismissal), as I recognize my personal bias shouldn't be a factor in the pros & cons of eliminating versus phasing out his historically very positive role in the fan entertainment at the arena. Biased, I will admit, but IMO, he deserved at least some recognition of his commitment, versus, IMO, being treated like a piece of worn out equipment and discarded. There has been some effort to increase fan participation, and the band has potential, but things such as this are not like on-off switches, or employees you can eliminate or threaten if they don’t comply, this needs to be phased in and tweaked for optimal results. Plattsburgh has significant potential, and has stood up to Bruce’s best efforts (or lack thereof) to knock them down. There are right ways to do things, and then there “is what it is”.

I am not aware of exactly what happened with the whole Clukey situation, being away from the campus and stuff, I'm out of the loop. I am aware, though, that "discarding" him (if this is what happened) is a huge mistake. I happened to be fortunate enough to also have a very positive relationship with him but with the personal bias aside, his music and organ playing was a staple for years at the Staff. It was like second nature for Card fans alike. I agree, if it happened this way, its wrong; he should be celebrated. He was extremely passionate; the music he used to play were clips he worked on himself for the games. People who have an understanding of music and editing will appreciate the hard work he put in.

Comment

I am not aware of exactly what happened with the whole Clukey situation, being away from the campus and stuff, I'm out of the loop. I am aware, though, that "discarding" him (if this is what happened) is a huge mistake. I happened to be fortunate enough to also have a very positive relationship with him but with the personal bias aside, his music and organ playing was a staple for years at the Staff. It was like second nature for Card fans alike. I agree, if it happened this way, its wrong; he should be celebrated. He was extremely passionate; the music he used to play were clips he worked on himself for the games. People who have an understanding of music and editing will appreciate the hard work he put in.
                  Busy work schedules have prevented me from discussing with Tim exactly what happened, what I do "know" is only that he is not there (obviously), it happened at the same time the band was brought in (coincidental - I think not), and no public acknowledgement has been made to his 20 (or near 20) years of service. Everyone knows I was not a Bruce fan long before this season, but his actions in this matter show no sign of competence IMO.
                  Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Any chance this thread can find its way back to the team:

What's up w/ Chris Wieland? How come he hasn't seem much playing time? Emery had big things to say about him on the first [I]Behind the Bench[I] so I presume injury but have not heard specifics.

How about Neitsch and Devereaux?

Has Leis cemented the No. 1 goalie spot and thus will be seeing the majority of minutes through the rest of the year?

MJM

Comment

Originally posted by mjmigliaccio View Post
                      Any chance this thread can find its way back to the team:

What's up w/ Chris Wieland? How come he hasn't seem much playing time? Emery had big things to say about him on the first [I]Behind the Bench[I] so I presume injury but have not heard specifics.

How about Neitsch and Devereaux?

Has Leis cemented the No. 1 goalie spot and thus will be seeing the majority of minutes through the rest of the year?

MJM
                      I hear you, though I would hope the team could benefit from a stong home rink advantage, and without game stoppages from scoreboards that haven't worked in YEARS.

Leis certainly did himself no significant harm against Norwich, yes, Norwich got an easy goal when they caught him out of the crease, but he is still a work in progress still made some great saves, he has my vote.
                      Last edited by norm1909; 12-03-2010, 11:03 AM.
                      Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I have previously worked with Tim and Norm. (Ya, In the world of TANDY) I previously mentioned this, but maybe it wasn't clear. I saw Tim the night before the regular home season started at Arnies Restaurant. We were talking about the new and old Stafford and through conversation Tim simply put it: "I was told my services would no longer be needed" and that "We have a Pep Band"

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Cardinals defeat Potsdam on ice - {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican 12/4/2010}

POTSDAM — The Plattsburgh State men's hockey team followed up its championship in the PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout with another strong performance Friday night.

Eric Satim scored the first two goals of the game and the Cardinals skated to a 4-1 win over Potsdam in State University of New York Athletic Conference play.

"It's a tough place to play and it was a big league win for us," said Plattsburgh State head coach Bob Emery.

"We can't do anything about the losses we've had so far. But, we now have a chance to end a decent semester with a win at Skidmore on Tuesday."

The Cardinals (6-4, 4-4), who won for the fourth time in a row, finished with a 47-19 advantage in shots on goal, including a 27-3 edge in the second period when the Plattsburgh State broke a 1-all tie and scored twice.

"We played really well in the second period and played a lot in the offensive zone," said Emery.

"Both goalies played great games. Josh Leis made the big save when called upon for us. And, their goalie (Trevor O'Neill) made some quality saves."

Leis finished with 18 saves and O'Neill turned back 43.

"Even with the shots on goal we had, we had some of our best chances miss the net," said Emery.

Satim gave the Cardinals the lead with 3:59 gone in the game.

"It was key for us to get the first goal — that was a feather in our hat," said Emery. "We haven't been getting the first goal in a lot of games this season."

The Bears (3-6, 2-6), however, tied it on Brandon Couto's goal at the 14:37 mark.

Satim then put the Cardinals in front to stay, at 2-1, with a power-play goal just 33 seconds into the second period.

Kyle Kudroch made it 3-1 with 3:32 remaining in the stanza.

Plattsburgh State finished off the scoring at 16:26 of the third when defenseman Barry Roytman tallied his first goal as a Cardinal.

"We had some guys who played hard, like Satim and (Vick) Schlueter, who won a lot of loose pucks," said Emery.

"We controlled play for the most part and we improved on not making mental mistakes, even though we're not there yet."
                          Looks like Emery went to the the thesaurus, but he didn't exactly say "We are still a work in progress."

Also, would Emery ever be this candid? ---> Cards catch break in Norwich (Women's hockey head coach Kevin Houle)
                          Last edited by norm1909; 12-04-2010, 07:43 AM.
                          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Cardinals defeat Potsdam on ice - {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican 12/4/2010}

Looks like Emery went to the the thesaurus, but he didn't exactly say "We are still a work in progress."

Also, would Emery ever be this candid? ---> Cards catch break in Norwich (Women's hockey head coach Kevin Houle)
                            A bit off topic, but Houle did describe the game exactly as it was...
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Looks like Plattsburgh is spliting the squad on Feb. 5, per CollegeHockeyStats.Net

Guess not, they added a game on Feb. 11
                              Last edited by norm1909; 12-11-2010, 04:58 PM.
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Looks like Plattsburgh is spliting the squad on Feb. 5, per CollegeHockeyStats.Net
                                ...and that would be Bruce's fault....
                                LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Working...
                                X