PDA

View Full Version : Should the NCAA combine the Men's and Women's frozen fours?

Pages : 1 [2]

thebrain
03-19-2010, 05:31 PM
I'd also like to add the question, if it were on the same weekend, would you go to the Women's Frozen Four?

Puck Swami
03-19-2010, 05:36 PM
I'd also like to add the question, if it were on the same weekend, would you go to the Women's Frozen Four?

I might go to the Women's Championship Game as an add-on, but probably not the women's semis. Six hockey games in one long weekend is asking a lot of even the die hards....:eek:

bronconick
03-19-2010, 05:46 PM
I agree. Women's basketball is more popular than either of the hockey's. Their tournament is actually very strong as it is. Women's college hockey is extremely low on the totem of NCAA sports and I think somehow combining the championships could really help improve it's visibility.

I wouldn't exactly call the women's basketball tournament "strong".

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=294000030

Regional Final Attendance: 2,659.

That's 500 *less* people than last year's widely panned Cornell-BSU final at Van Andel.

They've got a couple hardcore areas in Connecticut and Tennessee that skew things, but beyond that, their stats don't look much different than hockey.

thebrain
03-19-2010, 05:48 PM
I might go to the Women's Championship Game as an add-on, but probably not the women's semis. Six hockey games in one long weekend is asking a lot of even the die hards....:eek:

Agreed. Instead of having 2,500 in a 3,500 seat arena, you may have 4,000 in a 18,000 seat arena. Maybe they could find a smaller arena in the same area, but I don't think you'd attract too many people to it. Maybe if the women's game was Saturday at noon with the men's at 6 or 7...I just don't think there's that many crossover fans from men's to women's hockey.

burd
03-19-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't know. Call me old fashioned, but you start combining the men's and women's frozen fours and pretty soon you have little frozen fourths running around without a team and looking for a handout.

The Hallucination
03-19-2010, 06:39 PM
I would combine the venue, but maybe not the ticket packages- perhaps just give men's FF ticketholders a discount on the women's package. I've never been to a women's FF, but would enjoy it, especially if the Badgers were there- however, traveling to two FF's in different places in the same year is unlikely for me, and I always attend the men's FF, so if the scheduling could work to put them in the same venue or even just the same city, and over the same several days, that would be cool.

French Rage
03-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Nah, the men's teams would probably overpower the women's teams and knock them out in the first round. Unless you had one bracket be men's and one be women's and the winners meet in the final.

Ohh, I just read the first post...

MikeAnderson
03-19-2010, 06:59 PM
how does bouncyball do it?

Comparing the ice hockey championships to the basketball championships is ridiculous on its face. The two aren't even remotely comparable.

Compare, instead, something like the soccer championships (which Division I will join Divisions II and III in combining the genders next season) with the ice hockey championships.

Priceless
03-19-2010, 07:15 PM
How about combining it with bowling?

******** width="480" height="385">******* name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDSfCqFUS7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param>******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDSfCqFUS7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Puck Swami
03-19-2010, 07:27 PM
The week after the Frozen Four, I'd like to see the NCAA Champion play in another four-team, single-elimination tourney with the CIS Champion, the previous Memorial Cup Champion and the NCAA D-III Champion for the title of North American Champion.

That would be fun.

Larch
03-19-2010, 07:31 PM
******** width="480" height="385">******* name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDSfCqFUS7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param>******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDSfCqFUS7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Umm, that's checking from behind. Would that induce a penatly shot? :D

WHKY blogger
03-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Good Idea, but your all missing one big road block. The IIHF..

The Women's Tournament is played when it is because of when the IIHF World Women's Championship is scheduled during the non-Olympic years. Considering its the highest level of Women's play internationally, the NCAA would have a real up hill battle should they try to approach the IIHF about moving an International event..

To move the Women's event later would mean that there would very likely be players and or coaches missing amongst the Frozen Four participants.