Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the NCAA combine the Men's and Women's frozen fours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should the NCAA combine the Men's and Women's frozen fours?

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
    I agree. Women's basketball is more popular than either of the hockey's. Their tournament is actually very strong as it is. Women's college hockey is extremely low on the totem of NCAA sports and I think somehow combining the championships could really help improve it's visibility.
    Which is interesting considering the same two ****ing teams win every ****ing year.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I had this discussion with some other college hockey fans and the reaction was mixed. I don't care one bit for women's hockey. However I do care about developing the sport at all levels at both genders. I think that holding the events on the same weekend (M: thurs/sat W: wed/fri) might help to grow attention and awareness to new people.
      Didn't they already do that when they started letting non-WCHA teams into the tournament?

Comment

Also a problem:

The women's FF is this weekend. The men's FF is 3 weekends from now. Inevitably, you're going to have the women either with a ridiculously long break, or interfering with the national tournament (nistead of conference ones)
        Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
        ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
          Also a problem:

The women's FF is this weekend. The men's FF is 3 weekends from now. Inevitably, you're going to have the women either with a ridiculously long break, or interfering with the national tournament (nistead of conference ones)
          Why not just start the season a couple weeks later?
          MICHIGAN STATE
          1966:1986:2007

Comment

No.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'd also like to add the question, if it were on the same weekend, would you go to the Women's Frozen Four?

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                I'd also like to add the question, if it were on the same weekend, would you go to the Women's Frozen Four?
                I might go to the Women's Championship Game as an add-on, but probably not the women's semis. Six hockey games in one long weekend is asking a lot of even the die hards....

Comment

I agree. Women's basketball is more popular than either of the hockey's. Their tournament is actually very strong as it is. Women's college hockey is extremely low on the totem of NCAA sports and I think somehow combining the championships could really help improve it's visibility.
                  I wouldn't exactly call the women's basketball tournament "strong".

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=294000030

Regional Final Attendance: 2,659.

That's 500 *less* people than last year's widely panned Cornell-BSU final at Van Andel.

They've got a couple hardcore areas in Connecticut and Tennessee that skew things, but beyond that, their stats don't look much different than hockey.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                    I might go to the Women's Championship Game as an add-on, but probably not the women's semis. Six hockey games in one long weekend is asking a lot of even the die hards....
                    Agreed. Instead of having 2,500 in a 3,500 seat arena, you may have 4,000 in a 18,000 seat arena. Maybe they could find a smaller arena in the same area, but I don't think you'd attract too many people to it. Maybe if the women's game was Saturday at noon with the men's at 6 or 7...I just don't think there's that many crossover fans from men's to women's hockey.

Comment

I don't know. Call me old fashioned, but you start combining the men's and women's frozen fours and pretty soon you have little frozen fourths running around without a team and looking for a handout.

Comment

I would combine the venue, but maybe not the ticket packages- perhaps just give men's FF ticketholders a discount on the women's package. I've never been to a women's FF, but would enjoy it, especially if the Badgers were there- however, traveling to two FF's in different places in the same year is unlikely for me, and I always attend the men's FF, so if the scheduling could work to put them in the same venue or even just the same city, and over the same several days, that would be cool.

Comment

Nah, the men's teams would probably overpower the women's teams and knock them out in the first round. Unless you had one bracket be men's and one be women's and the winners meet in the final.

Ohh, I just read the first post...

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roben View Post
                            how does bouncyball do it?
                            Comparing the ice hockey championships to the basketball championships is ridiculous on its face. The two aren't even remotely comparable.

Compare, instead, something like the soccer championships (which Division I will join Divisions II and III in combining the genders next season) with the ice hockey championships.
                            UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                            2006 Time Person of the Year
                            Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                            It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                              How about combining it with bowling?
                              ******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDSfCqFUS7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDSfCqFUS7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Comment

The week after the Frozen Four, I'd like to see the NCAA Champion play in another four-team, single-elimination tourney with the CIS Champion, the previous Memorial Cup Champion and the NCAA D-III Champion for the title of North American Champion.

That would be fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X