F Gustav Nyquist, Maine
    F Mark Olver, Northern Michigan
    F Chase Polacek, Rensselaer
    F Rhett Rakhshani, Denver
    G Cody Reichard, Miami
    G Ben Scrivens, Cornell
    D Brendan Smith, Wisconsin

Re: Hobey Baker Award Top 10 Finalists Revealed

I had Nick Johnson and Cam Atkinson over Geoffrion and Reichard. I don't think Geoffrion's even the best forward on his own team, and I feel like his name had a lot to do with this. His numbers don't quite hold up against the rest of the forwards on this list. Reichard hasn't played nearly as many minutes as most top goalies because Miami's used a rotation for most of the season. No doubt his stats are there, but in order for a goalie to be a Hobey candidate, he should at least be a full-time starter.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

A little surprised to not see an Atlantic Hockey scorer on the list. Afterall they will knock it down to a final 3 anyway so for the sake of all of college hockey one representative would have been a nice gesture. Three goalies indicates to me that at least one of them will be a finalist. Surprised that Miami's goalie only played 60% of the time and made the list. His replacement was not too far behind in stats. Hutton from Lowell was close in save % as well. Not a knock on Reichard who must be very good but shouldn't a goalie on this list be a one man show.

Comment

I think Reich got the nod since he led the country nearly the entire season in GAA, Sv%, and Win%. And is only 1 shutout behind Chevy in 8 less games. I don't see him making the Hobey Hattrick unless he gets the nod this and next weekend, which I'm not sure happens considering Knapps recent performance.

Comment

Marc Cheverie without a doubt would get my vote......
          - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
          Go you Green and White
          Go Bemidji Beavers
          Fight with all your might!
          Rah! Rah! Rah!
          We are here to cheer you
          We are out to win your fame,
          So, Go Bemidji Beavers
          Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
            I had Nick Johnson and Cam Atkinson over Geoffrion and Reichard. I don't think Geoffrion's even the best forward on his own team, and I feel like his name had a lot to do with this. His numbers don't quite hold up against the rest of the forwards on this list. Reichard hasn't played nearly as many minutes as most top goalies because Miami's used a rotation for most of the season. No doubt his stats are there, but in order for a goalie to be a Hobey candidate, he should at least be a full-time starter.
            Other Badger posters can chime in on this more than I can, but I feel like Geoffrion is on that list for his body of work at Wisconsin. He is one of the hardest working, most fun-to-watch players I've ever seen, and while he may not have astronomical point totals, he makes everyone around him find that extra gear. I'm not going to make the claim that he deserves to be there over Johnson and Atkinson, but I think he definitely deserves to be where he is.

On that note, BRENDAN SMITH- BRING IT HOME!!!
            Originally posted by solovsfett
            To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
            You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Comment

What makes Cheverie (the WCHA Player of the Year) so impressive is a nations-best .937 saves percentage, the majority of which was earned playing in the WCHA, which has more competitive teams from top to bottom than any other conference. He's been the reason Denver is the top ranked team - without Cheverie, DU is probably struggling in the mid-pack of the WCHA, life or death to make the NCAAs.

Add to that his other national top goalie stats such as his shutouts (6) and win percentage (.823), # 3 in GAA, a 3.5 GAA in finance and he's a guy that should be in the Hat Trick, with a good case to win it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                What makes Cheverie (the WCHA Player of the Year) so impressive is a nations-best .937 saves percentage, the majority of which was earned playing in the WCHA, which has more competitive teams from top to bottom than any other conference. He's been the reason Denver is the top ranked team - without Cheverie, DU is probably struggling in the mid-pack of the WCHA, life or death to make the NCAAs.

Add to that his other national top goalie stats such as his shutouts (6) and win percentage (.823), # 3 in GAA, a 3.5 GAA in finance and he's a guy that should be in the Hat Trick, with a good case to win it all.
                A very, very solid case, for sure. Of course, we all know how poorly goalies have fared.

And, part of me just thinks a Badger isn't going to win it. If Reinprecht can't win it in 2000 leading the nation's #1 team in scoring, and Elliott can't win it in 2006 with the amazing season he had, I'm not sure either Geoffrion or Smith will win it.
                St. Norbert College Green Knights
                NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                ---
                SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                  And, part of me just thinks a Badger isn't going to win it. If Reinprecht can't win it in 2000 leading the nation's #1 team in scoring, and Elliott can't win it in 2006 with the amazing season he had, I'm not sure either Geoffrion or Smith will win it.
                  Darnit, GBPF! I was blocking that fact out of my head!
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                  X