PDA

View Full Version : An open an honest proposal for the WCHA final five

Pages : [1] 2 3

SiouxAviator
03-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I felt it appropriate to steal SCSU's icon for this because we all know UND fans, like their hockey team, are cheap losers that have to be cheap to win.

It seems to me in the little time I've spent following the game of college hockey and the WCHA that one fallacy immediately springs to mind every playoff time, and that is the belief that the Xcel energy center is a 'neutral' site. Yes, thats right, a mere stones throw from the UMTC campus, this venue somehow remains a 'neutral' location. Every school that competes in the final five save one (well, not counting this year) has to travel to the arena, some as little as 70 miles, some as much as 1,000 miles (UAA doesn't count). Then there's the team that can ride their bikes to the arena. Who thought that would be neutral? Even the pep band has to make a day of the drive down.

Therefore I propose an alternative. There is one arena within the WCHA that will likely never see its team in the Final Five, so I propose we do it there. That location? the MacInnes Ice Arena. We know that the Huskies would never play in the tourney, and the arena itself is nicely located on the UP, far enough out in the booneys that every team in the tournament would more or less have to take at least a half if not a full day to get there, and the pep band wouldn't even have to go anywhere!

It makes perfect sense.

irishfan85
03-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Hockey East at the Garden has a supposed advantage for BC and BU, although Maine and UNH always bring huge crowds. Michigan and Michigan State have the advantage in the CCHA with it being at the Joe in Detroit.

Going further, in other college sports, the SEC Championship game for football is always in Atlanta and the ACC Hoops Tourney is almost always (or at least historically) been in the Greensboro Coliseum. So Duke and UNC supposedly have an advantage for the ACC and Georgia if they make it in the SEC.

I've been to the XCel Energy Center for the 2002 Frozen Four and thought it was a terrific facility. It is the most central site for the WCHA to hold their event. If college hockey was more popular, you could rotate the WCHA Final Five through Milwaukee, Denver, and St. Paul. However, it is not so the XCel Energy Center is the best option.

Puck Swami
03-18-2010, 06:16 PM
The sole relevant purpose of conference tourneys is the sponsoring league needs to make money -- both in the seats they sell and on television, through commerical rates and media market size.

It's not about providing the most neutral site - if that were the case, we'd play it in St. Louis or Florida every year.

The WCHA's best prospects for financial return are in St. Paul. No other arena could come close to the gurantee that St. Paul offers, due to the closeness of the venue to the majority of participating schools and the generosity and size of the University of Minnesota fan base to be the primary financial driver behind crowd size, maximum spending capability and media revenue generated. That's why the Gophers get preferrential treatment in terms of proximity and game times when they appear- becuase their fans are the largest mealticket fan base in the league. They've earned the special treatment because they pay for it.

Until someone else can deliver a better proposal, the tourney should stay in St. Paul.

ajoyce02
03-18-2010, 06:20 PM
You're just trying to get everyone worked up aren't you. :p :D

You can't possibly be that stupid, I refuse to believe it.

Beer Pong Horn
03-18-2010, 06:23 PM
I felt it appropriate to steal SCSU's icon for this because we all know UND fans, like their hockey team, are cheap losers that have to be cheap to win.

It seems to me in the little time I've spent following the game of college hockey and the WCHA that one fallacy immediately springs to mind every playoff time, and that is the belief that the Xcel energy center is a 'neutral' site. Yes, thats right, a mere stones throw from the UMTC campus, this venue somehow remains a 'neutral' location. Every school that competes in the final five save one (well, not counting this year) has to travel to the arena, some as little as 70 miles, some as much as 1,000 miles (UAA doesn't count). Then there's the team that can ride their bikes to the arena. Who thought that would be neutral? Even the pep band has to make a day of the drive down.

Therefore I propose an alternative. There is one arena within the WCHA that will likely never see its team in the Final Five, so I propose we do it there. That location? the MacInnes Ice Arena. We know that the Huskies would never play in the tourney, and the arena itself is nicely located on the UP, far enough out in the booneys that every team in the tournament would more or less have to take at least a half if not a full day to get there, and the pep band wouldn't even have to go anywhere!

It makes perfect sense.

I know what you're trying to do, but just... stop.
******** width="480" height="400" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_8671e5f668">******* name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" />******* name="flashvars" value="key=8671e5f668&vert=funnyordie_co_uk" />******* name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* width="480" height="400" flashvars="key=8671e5f668&vert=funnyordie_co_uk" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_8671e5f668" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

BigM3810
03-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Hockey East at the Garden has a supposed advantage for BC and BU, although Maine and UNH always bring huge crowds. Michigan and Michigan State have the advantage in the CCHA with it being at the Joe in Detroit.

Going further, in other college sports, the SEC Championship game for football is always in Atlanta and the ACC Hoops Tourney is almost always (or at least historically) been in the Greensboro Coliseum. So Duke and UNC supposedly have an advantage for the ACC and Georgia if they make it in the SEC.

I've been to the XCel Energy Center for the 2002 Frozen Four and thought it was a terrific facility. It is the most central site for the WCHA to hold their event. If college hockey was more popular, you could rotate the WCHA Final Five through Milwaukee, Denver, and St. Paul. However, it is not so the XCel Energy Center is the best option.

But college basketball and football are popular so whey don't they rotate their conference championships?

WeAreNDHockey
03-18-2010, 06:27 PM
It always shocks me when I realize how many people don't understand the first, second, and last consideration of everything done by leagues and governing bodies in sports, and in spades in any sport that has the slightest potential to generate any recognition at all, is TO MAKE MONEY.

Huskiefan906
03-18-2010, 06:38 PM
There is one arena within the WCHA that will likely never see its team in the Final Five, so I propose we do it there. That location? the MacInnes Ice Arena. We know that the Huskies would never play in the tourney, and the arena itself is nicely located on the UP, far enough out in the booneys that every team in the tournament would more or less have to take at least a half if not a full day to get there, and the pep band wouldn't even have to go anywhere!

Jamie Russell take note of the disrespect the hockey Huskies have wrought from the years of losing. Please post this on the bulletin board for next year.

Driftryder
03-18-2010, 06:50 PM
You could set your clock to threads like this one. :rolleyes:

GopherBigGuy911
03-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Jamie Russell take note of the disrespect the hockey Huskies have wrought from the years of losing. Please post this on the bulletin board for next year.

If he doesn't have enough bulletin board material by now..... then you guys truly are hopeless...... Obviously it isn't any sort of motivating factor for the Huskies..... so who care at this point in life :p to bad the CHA folded..... the WCHA and CHA should have just done a team swap..... Tech for BSU..... That way.... MAYBE within the next 25 years Tech could have returned to the NCAA's :rolleyes: I mean..... I would HOPE that they could teams the likes of UAH, Niagara, and Robert Morris..... But my money would still be that Tech would be Robert Morris's red headed step children :)

Happy
03-18-2010, 07:27 PM

It makes perfect sense.

How about the REA and UND do a guarantee bid, that absolutely guarantees the WCHA more cash than they get at the X, and then it can be held in North Dakota.

I didn't think so.

ScoobyDoo
03-18-2010, 09:03 PM

It makes perfect sense.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard and I've been around here for a long time.

Twitch Boy
03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
If he doesn't have enough bulletin board material by now..... then you guys truly are hopeless...... Obviously it isn't any sort of motivating factor for the Huskies..... so who care at this point in life :p to bad the CHA folded..... the WCHA and CHA should have just done a team swap..... Tech for BSU..... That way.... MAYBE within the next 25 years Tech could have returned to the NCAA's :rolleyes: I mean..... I would HOPE that they could teams the likes of UAH, Niagara, and Robert Morris..... But my money would still be that Tech would be Robert Morris's red headed step children :)

Posts like this are why I root for the Wolverines out of spite. At least they have their pride.

GB Puck Fan
03-18-2010, 09:31 PM

It makes perfect sense.

I keep looking for the sarcasm alert and can't find it...

Bakunin
03-18-2010, 09:33 PM
If this thread is an attempt at sarcasm, it's a poor one.

If it's an actual criticism, again, it's a poor one.

The X has never been claimed to be a neutral site. It is simply the best one - you can't find a comparable arena anywhere in the WCHA that can match the attendance and revenue that St. Paul generates for the league.

GB Puck Fan
03-18-2010, 09:42 PM
But college basketball and football are popular so whey don't they rotate their conference championships?

You mean like the Big Ten alternating between Conseco and the United Center from 2001-2008?

You mean like Big 12 basketball moving from:
02 - Kansas City
03 - Dallas
04 - Dallas
05 - Kansas City
06 - Dallas
07 - Oklahoma City
08 - Kansas City
09 - Oklahoma City
10- Kansas City

or even the ACC men's hoops:
05 - Washington DC
06 - Greensboro
07 - Tampa
08 - Charlotte
09 - Atlanta
10 - Greensboro

And the SEC men:
08 - Atlanta
09 - Tampa
10 - Nashville
11 - Atlanta
12 - New Orleans
13 - Nashville
14 - Atlanta

blockski
03-18-2010, 09:51 PM
I would love to see the Final Five rotate to, say, Denver and/or Milwaukee if (IF) those sites could get a similar gate and generate similar revenue.

They cannot.

Nobody says St. Paul is neutral, but it certainly is about as central as you're going to get in a league with the geography of the WCHA. Milwaukee is a further trip for everyone but Wisconsin. Same with Denver - a much longer trip for everyone but DU and CC (UAA is flying already, no real difference there).

I wonder if this issue would come up if the geography was slightly different - if Minnesota wasn't located in the Twin Cities, the same way that neither Michigan or Michigan State are directly in Detroit. If Minnesota's campus was in, say, Rochester, would this claim of bias still come up so often?

Beer Pong Horn
03-18-2010, 09:57 PM
I wonder if this issue would come up if the geography was slightly different - if Minnesota wasn't located in the Twin Cities, the same way that neither Michigan or Michigan State are directly in Detroit. If Minnesota's campus was in, say, Rochester, would this claim of bias still come up so often?

Most likely, and from the same sources. ;)

GB Puck Fan
03-18-2010, 09:59 PM
I would love to see the Final Five rotate to, say, Denver and/or Milwaukee if (IF) those sites could get a similar gate and generate similar revenue.
If Minnesota's campus was in, say, Rochester, would this claim of bias still come up so often?

If it were, we would know for sure if it was all about the Gophers if they played it at the Rochester Rec Center. I love how the ice looks striped. ;)

MikeAnderson
03-18-2010, 10:03 PM
You mean like the Big Ten alternating between Conseco and the United Center from 2001-2008?

You mean like Big 12 basketball moving from:
02 - Kansas City
03 - Dallas
04 - Dallas
05 - Kansas City
06 - Dallas
07 - Oklahoma City
08 - Kansas City
09 - Oklahoma City
10- Kansas City

or even the ACC men's hoops:
05 - Washington DC
06 - Greensboro
07 - Tampa
08 - Charlotte
09 - Atlanta
10 - Greensboro

And the SEC men:
08 - Atlanta
09 - Tampa
10 - Nashville
11 - Atlanta
12 - New Orleans
13 - Nashville
14 - Atlanta

It's almost like conferences (all of them, from Division I to Division III, from ice hockey to field hockey) put out these championships for competitive bid and award them to the venue that will generate the greatest return to the league.