* unanimous selection

Three Stars Award
Bobby Butler, New Hampshire

Best Defensive Defensemen
Justin Braun, Massachusetts

Inidividual Sportsmanship Award
Ben Smith, Boston College

Scoring Champions
B. Butler, UNH/G. Nyquist, Maine, 41 pts.

Best Goalie
Carter Hutton, UMass-Lowell (2.35 GA, .920 save %)

Best Defensive Forward
Ben Holmstrom, UMass-Lowell

Team Sportsmanship Award
New Hampshire Wildcats

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/presarch/201003/mar17ar.php

Federal League
03-18-2010, 02:35 PM
That rookie team's a joke. First off, how does a team have 7 players? Second, I'd take any two of Chiasson, Mullane, Whitney, Vermeersch and Shemansky over Kreider and Stalberg. Kreider might be the most talented of that group, but he didn't have a good enough season to land on this team.

ETA: I agree with Rawlings, though, and I agree that those are the 3 best freshman defensemen. I just don't understand why all 3 made it. I'd take away Nicastro.

UMLFan
03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
2009-10 All-Rookie Team
Chris Rawlings (North Delta, B.C.) - Northeastern - Goaltender
Brian Dumoulin (Biddeford, Maine) - Boston College - Defense
Jake Newton (San Jacinto, Calif.) - Northeastern - Defense
Max Nicastro (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) - Boston University - Defense
Stephane Da Costa * (Paris, France) - Merrimack - Forward
Chris Kreider (Boxford, Mass.) - Boston College - Forward
Sebastian Stålberg (Gothenburg, Sweden) - Vermont - Forward
* unanimous selection

Weird to see two kids from Cali and one from France. Says a lot about hockey...

WDR357
03-18-2010, 03:50 PM
That rookie team's a joke. First off, how does a team have 7 players? Second, I'd take any two of Chiasson, Mullane, Whitney, Vermeersch and Shemansky over Kreider and Stalberg. Kreider might be the most talented of that group, but he didn't have a good enough season to land on this team.

ETA: I agree with Rawlings, though, and I agree that those are the 3 best freshman defensemen. I just don't understand why all 3 made it. I'd take away Nicastro.
I thought it a bit absurd as well. Nicastro will probably be in the NHL someday and I thought played very solid at the end of the year but if he was on the Mack, NU, UMass, UML, PC, his name wouldn't be on this list.

Agreed with the forwards too. Until BC went on this February scoring binge, Kreider wasn't even on the radar. Heck, Brodhag had the same number of goals and more points and probably wasn't a consideration (I'm not saying he should have been, just pointing out the absurdity of the selection).

If they could add a D Man, they could easily add a forward spot or another goalie.

Patronick
03-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Biggest joke on the list is Braun as DD over Dehner. Neither the stats nor play on the ice support that pick.

Federal League
03-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Biggest joke on the list is Braun as DD over Dehner. Neither the stats nor play on the ice support that pick.

Although I agree that Dehner is the best defensive d-man in the conference, I'm not gonna go as far as calling it a "joke." Braun is very, very good, and not just offensively.

J.D.
03-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Although I agree that Dehner is the best defensive d-man in the conference, I'm not gonna go as far as calling it a "joke." Braun is very, very good, and not just offensively.

After seeing Braun against BC in the playoffs, it's anything but a joke. Kid is a special player.

Federal League
03-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Full award winners. (http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/colby-cohen-named-to-hockey-east-first.html)

UMLGoon
03-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Brian Foster first-team goalie. Yeah okay.

UMLFan
03-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I should be surprised, but sadly...

Patronick
03-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Full award winners. (http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/colby-cohen-named-to-hockey-east-first.html)

We have a new champion in the "most absurd" category...

Foster over Hutton? Laughable.

thecomicbookguy
03-18-2010, 08:48 PM

It makes sense. I mean, Hutton was only the Goaltending Champion. It's not like he was the best goalie in the league.

Wait...

BoSox3066
03-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Chris Kreider had 13 goals, which I believe was the most goals of any rookie except Da Costa. If you look at the selection of Butler as POY and Marcou being second team, as well as similar choices over the years, you'd see the voters always value goals over points.

Also, Foster led the league in minutes and wins. That means something. I predicted Hutton but I don't think its an awful choice.

lah02476
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Dennehy having to share COTY with Umile is a joke! :mad:

Is it a requirement to have one of the "big 4" coaches win this award every year (except for Jerry York, of course)? :confused: :rolleyes:

UMLFan
03-18-2010, 08:58 PM

Is it a requirement to have one of the "big 4" coaches win this award every year (except for Jerry York, of course)? :confused: :rolleyes:
Dennehy should have run away with this.

Carmine Scarpaglia
03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Was this thing picked before Umile choked last weekend? That is a freaking sham. That COTY award will go great next to his RS title trophy!!!!

What's up with putting 3 DMen on a bunch of these freakin teams? Jeez.

WDR357
03-18-2010, 09:04 PM

No, Cronin won last year. There are always arguments but definitely some puzzling decisions this year. Foster had a good year and looked pretty good the couple times I saw him but never seemed better than Hutton. Reminds me on the year Bob Welch won the Cy Young over Clemens with 27 wins but an ERA over three. Clem had something like 21 wins and an ERA under two. Just because you have most wins doesn't mean you're the better pitcher. Or goalie.

Regardless, congrats to all the kids who were honored!

thecomicbookguy
03-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Was this thing picked before Umile choked last weekend? That is a freaking sham. That COTY award will go great next to his RS title trophy!!!!

Yup. They're regular season awards. Which is a shame, because Dennehy probably would have been helped by his team losing at BU... :confused:

And the RS title is probably the reason UNH won. They lost a lot of talent from a team that finished tied for third last year, didn't add much in the way of Freshman talent, and finished first. That kind of thing might have swayed some voters.

candycanes99
03-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Yup. They're regular season awards. Which is a shame, because Dennehy probably would have been helped by his team losing at BU... :confused:

Merrimack took BU to the limit, definitely exceeded most expectations, so yes by comparison. I'd say to make Dennehy share it is pretty bad. What Umile did was pretty impressive, but it's not like they were terrible last year. Merrimack has been in the basement for a long time and hasn't been in the playoffs in quite a few years. I'm not sure what their highest finish ever was, but 6th was above everyone's expectations considerably.

Carmine Scarpaglia
03-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Yup. They're regular season awards.

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Seriously, how could I write that?