View Full Version : WCHA Awards

Pages : [1] 2

A Shot and a Goal
03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
http://www.wcha.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/031810aab.html

uwbadgers14
03-18-2010, 02:14 PM
http://www.wcha.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/031810aab.html

Kinda Surprised Craig Smith (UW) didn't get rookie of the year.

ScoobyDoo
03-18-2010, 02:15 PM
{sigh}

Fighting Sioux 23
03-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Kinda Surprised Craig Smith (UW) didn't get rookie of the year.

Kristo had better stats, double the goals, and was slightly higher profile. Saying that, Smith had a great freshman season, and was very deserving of the award as well.

uwbadgers14
03-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Kristo had better stats, double the goals, and was slightly higher profile. Saying that, Smith had a great freshman season, and was very deserving of the award as well.

All the DU awards is pretty disgusting however... also, why do they do the awards before the final 5. Isn't how a team or player performs in the biggest stage of the WCHA important to winning an award as well????

ScoobyDoo
03-18-2010, 02:32 PM
All the DU awards is pretty disgusting however... also, why do they do the awards before the final 5. Isn't how a team or player performs in the biggest stage of the WCHA important to winning an award as well????

They're regular season awards. It's part of the hype for the Final Five.

bigblue_dl
03-18-2010, 02:34 PM
They're supposed to be regular season awards, so no, the Final 5 doesn't count for these awards.

Also, I understand the sentimental thing, but seriously, shouldn't a guy making an all-conference team have to play more than 9 games in the season.

Siouxfaninseattle
03-18-2010, 02:38 PM
All are very deserving of the awards.

dggoddard
03-18-2010, 02:41 PM
All the DU awards is pretty disgusting You are right. Its ridiculous. The #1 team in the country that won the MacNaughton by 5 points with a week to spare, walked away with the lion's share of the hardware.

I demand a recount.

Actually, all the awards were pretty predictable and for once there's very little to quibble about.

uwbadgers14
03-18-2010, 02:45 PM
You are right. Its ridiculous. The #1 team in the country that won the MacNaughton by 5 points with a week to spare, walked away with the lion's share of the hardware.

I demand a recount.

Actually, all the awards were pretty predictable and for once there's very little to quibble about.

Cheverie, player of the year???? Goalie of the year no doubt but there are some great players in the WCHA that i would put ahead of him as player of the year. that's just me....

dggoddard
03-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Chuck's Predictions vs. Actual....

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=89404

Chuck's Predictions (Actual)

First Team All-WCHA

F-Blake Geoffrion (Wisconsin)-Senior
F-Rhett Rakhshani (Denver)-Senior
F-Justin Fontaine (Minnesota-Duluth)-Junior (Jack Connolly)
D-Brendan Smith (Wisconsin)-Junior
D-Patrick Wiercoich (Denver)-Sophomore
G-Marc Cheverie (Denver)-Junior

Second Team All-WCH

F-Michael Davies (Wisconsin)-Senior (Tyler Ruegsegger)
F-Jack Connolly (Minnesota-Duluth)-Sophomore (Justin Fontaine)
F-Ryan Lasch (St. Cloud State)-Senior
D-Ryan McDonagh (Wisconsin)-Junior
D-Nate Prosser (Colorado College)-Senior
G-Brad Eidsness (North Dakota)-Sophomore

Third Team All-WCHA

F-Mike Connolly (Minnesota-Duluth)-Sophomore (Michael Davies)
F-Kevin Clark (Alaska Anchorage)-Senior (Joe Colborne)
F-Garrett Roe (St. Cloud State)-Junior
D-Kurt Davis (Minnesota State)-Junior (Chay Genoway)
D-Garrett Raboin (St. Cloud State)-Senior
G-Alex Kangas (Minnesota)-Junior (Dan Dunn)

WCHA All-Freshman Team

F-Craig Smith (Wisconsin)
F-Danny Kristo (North Dakota)
F-Rylan Schwartz (Colorado College)
D-Matt Donovan (Denver)
D-Nick Leddy (Minnesota) (Justin Schultz)
G-Mike Lee (St. Cloud State) (Joe Howe)

Awards

WCHA Player of the Year: Marc Cheverie, Goalie (Denver)
WCHA Rookie of the Year: Craig Smith, Forward (Wisconsin)
WCHA Defenseman of the Year: Brendan Smith, Defense (Wisconsin)

Puck Swami
03-18-2010, 02:46 PM
All the DU awards is pretty disgusting however...

I'd say most of the DU awards were pretty much warranted. Cheverie is WCHA POY hands down. When you lead the nation in key goaltending categories while facing the WCHA meatgrinder every weekend, you've earned it. I think he has a solid shot at the Hobey, too.

Rhakshani was the top votegetter among forwards, so no suprise he's on the first team given his numbers, captaincy and senior role. Weircioch is a slight stretch on the first team IMO. He had a better season last year - I would've put him second or third team. That's the one pick that seemed to get the benefit of the doubt of playing on a top-ranked team.

Reugsegger on the second team is a solid pick. The senior produces points, hits, and gives his all and has a 4.0 in the classroom. The guy gets it done.

Colborne showed flashes of dominance and had a lot of clutch goals for DU, no surprise he's a third teamer, IMHO.

And Donovan was fully deserving to be on the all-Rookie team, given his production and key playing role on a top ranked team.

Fighting Sioux 23
03-18-2010, 02:51 PM
I'd say most of the DU awards were pretty much warranted. Cheverie is WCHA POY hands down. When you lead the nation in key goaltending categories while facing the WCHA meatgrinder every weekend, you've earned it. I think he has a solid shot at the Hobey, too.

Rhakshani was the top votegetter among forwards, so no suprise he's on the first team given his numbers, captaincy and senior role. Weircioch is a slight stretch on the first team IMO. He had a better season last year - I would've put him second or third team. That's the one pick that seemed to get the benefit of the doubt of playing on a top-ranked team.

Reugsegger on the second team is a solid pick. The senior produces points, hits, and gives his all and has a 4.0 in the classroom. The guy gets it done.

Colborne showed flashes of dominance and had a lot of clutch goals for DU, no surprise he's a third teamer, IMHO.

And Donovan was fully deserving to be on the all-Rookie team, given his production and key playing role on a top ranked team.

Agreed. Denver had a great year, and deserved to take home a lot of awards. Maybe they meant it is disgusting at how good DU was this year in the RS.

After seeing the awards, it's fairly clear that DU should enjoy all this glory and take a couple weeks off of hockey :p:D:D

Shirtless Guy
03-18-2010, 02:51 PM
I'd love to see the breakdown of All-Rookie Defensemen...Matt Donovan was voted far and away the best D-man but Justin Schultz had less than half as many points as Donovan. Makes me wonder how close it was since I would say Nick Leddy, Steven Siego and Dylan Olson were worthy of votes...

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Also, I understand the sentimental thing, but seriously, shouldn't a guy making an all-conference team have to play more than 9 games in the season.

Well... it's not like Genoway got benched...

dggoddard
03-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Cheverie, player of the year???? Goalie of the year no doubt but there are some great players in the WCHA that i would put ahead of him as player of the year. that's just me....MVP of the best team. Its the way it almost always goes. If Wisconsin had won the MacNaughton, Geoffrion would have been POY.

Besides Chevy might have the best NHL future of all these guys.

SCSU Euro
03-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Mike Lee didn't make rookie of the year?!? Complete bull****! Drew LeBlanc, no 3rd team, no nothing?!? I'm sick of college hockey!

Ok, now that my impression of uw14's done, yeah, pretty easy selections this year. Switch Raboin to 2nd team and Prosser to 3rd and its practically EXACTLY what I think it should've been. Congrats to.... well everybody!

Puck Swami
03-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Well... it's not like Genoway got benched...

Genoway healthy is hands-down the best d-man in the league. No issue at all with winning third team status with 9 GP. I am sure the players and coaches in the league would echo the pick. The guy is money.

dggoddard
03-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Little surprised that Gwozdecky was named Coach of the Year since that award usually goes to the "most improved" team or "biggest surprise."

That being said, this is his fourth WCHA Coach of the Year Award. Its his 16th year at DU.

Farce Poobah
03-18-2010, 03:08 PM
I gotta call out the outstanding winner of the Student-Athlete Award. As someone who's getting old, I hope he succeeds. My life might just depend on it.

Congratulations Eli.

http://www.seniorclassaward.com/athletes/eli_vlaisavljevich/

"Vlaisavljevich is developing a novel biomaterial to prevent fibrous encapsulation of implants, specifically fibrosis. It is a material that prevents cell adhesion to the surface through vibrational loading. It will be used to improve the stability, function and lifetime of implantable biomaterials and prevent the need for surgical revision." (continued)