PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NCAA Tournament: The Worst Ever?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

dggoddard
03-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Things aren't looking too rosy for the NCAA Tournament this year.

1). Pairwise has been tweaked and re-tweaked so many times that perennial cupcakes Yale, Bemidji and Ferris State are locks to make the tournament.

2). Alabama-Huntsville, perhaps the worst team in history to lock up an automatic berth is in.

3). The top two seeds in the Tournament, Miami & Denver have small fan bases.

4). Traditional powers Michigan, BU, Michigan State and Minnesota had their worst seasons in at least the last three decades.

5). NCAA Tournament Trav/Mockery St. Cloud State is flirting with a #1 seeding.

6). The under/over for attendance in 70,000 seat Ford field is 18,000. Does anyone really think that 18,000 will show up?

The only way things could be any worse is if they held the Frozen Four in Detroit.

The Rube
03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
So the traditional powers are out, so the tourney sucks.

Got it.

ck1969
03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm hoping for a Bemidji, Yale, Ferris St, Alabama-Huntsville frozen 4. I think that would draw the greatest possible attendence at Ford field, give a great boost to college hockey and make ESPN very happy.

25 N Countin'
03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
If BU doesn't win Hockey East, we don't deserve to be in the tourney. There's no reason just because we're BU we have any kind of claim on a spot with the way we played for the vast majority of the season.

profoster
03-17-2010, 12:44 PM
The only way things could be any worse is if they held the Frozen Four in Detroit.

Ford Field is in Detroit.

Hammer
03-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Whoosh?

nmu_27
03-17-2010, 12:45 PM
4). Traditional powers Michigan, BU, Michigan State and Minnesota had their worst seasons in at least the last three decades.

I know most of the things you post are in jest, but did you pay any attention to how Michigan State did last year?

The Rube
03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Whoosh?

That's what GLM and I are thinking, but there are some close-to-legit points (UAH is the worst team to make it in recent history, for example).

Driftryder
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Maybe he is just being proactive and getting this inevitable thread started so after the tourney selection it's all warmed up and ready to go.

northeastern
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
That 'attendance' figure is going to be very interesting. I do not think (no matter who makes it).. they'll get 18K.

Ford Field was a poor choice. If they could've gotten Joe Louis.. that's a different story :)

RedFreak
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Bemidji is a cupcake? Did you watch last year's tournament?

Slasher7
03-17-2010, 01:09 PM
The NCAA has to be holding rosary beads right now praying that Michigan stays hot and gets into the NCAAs and makes it to Detroit. If they dont have four traditional hockey programs, this Frozen Four will be that much worse.

BC/Denver/Miami/Michigan would be a nice Frozen Four. If Wisconsin or North Dakota made it in lieu of one of the first three teams mentioned, it would work, too.

ADK11
03-17-2010, 01:12 PM
..and don't forget that Cory Conacher will win the Hobey and lead Canisius to the NC!! You heard it here first!!

Priceless
03-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Maybe he is just being proactive and getting this inevitable thread started so after the tourney selection it's all warmed up and ready to go.

Thread? Singular?

Riiight. :p

Hammer
03-17-2010, 01:39 PM

1). Pairwise has been tweaked and re-tweaked so many times that perennial cupcakes Yale, Bemidji and Ferris State are locks to make the tournament.

I know better than to take this as seriously as I'm going to, but Ferris is far from a lock to make the tournament. We need one more win to lock up a tournament bid, and if we don't we've got a coin flip chance to make it, at best.

NMU8405
03-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Every team that makes the tourny deserves to be in it. Just because Minnesota, Michigan, and the other big schools arent in does not diminish what every one of these 16 teams have earned.

UAH is in because they earned it. They won the games they were supposed to, its not their fault Beminji cant close out their season by winning two games.

wasmania
03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
If BU doesn't win Hockey East, we don't deserve to be in the tourney. There's no reason just because we're BU we have any kind of claim on a spot with the way we played for the vast majority of the season.

Don't worry, everyone knows that. But I am sure with $2.79 and being BU you could get a latte at Starbucks!:)

Priceless
03-17-2010, 01:51 PM

5). NCAA Tournament Trav/Mockery St. Cloud State is flirting with a #1 seeding.

You like to blame the PWR, but Ferris State is ranked 9th in your beloved KRACH, and the travashamockery that is St. Clown is ranked 5th - an even better shot at a #1 seed than using the hated PWR. According to KRACH, Minnesota is a tournament team. Minnesota?

I know that to all you WCHA types the ideal NCAA tournament would be a repeat of what happens in the F5 this week, but it's a national tournament, not a regional one.

ck1969
03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Don't worry, everyone knows that. But I am sure with $2.79 and being BU you could get a latte at Starbucks!:)

Yeah right. Like you can get anything at Starsucks for $2.79.

Priceless
03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Yeah right. Like you can get anything at Starsucks for $2.79.

A thimble of tap water.