PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NCAA Tournament: The Worst Ever?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

JB
03-17-2010, 03:36 PM
That should suit Joe Colborne. 6'5" with the wingspan of an albatross and two sisters that play college basketball.

Would that be a Southern Royal or a Noth Pacfic Albatross?...

Junkyard Dawg
03-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I hope that most people end up being wrong about this year's frozen four. I'm from a small school (Ferris) so I enjoy when other non-powers like Bemidji do well. I've gone to the last 5 forzen fours and my team has never made it but I go just to enjoy college hockey.

As for Detroit, I think most people will enjoy the experience if they let themselves. I have no idea how the hockey will play out at Ford Field but it is a nice facility otherwise and I'm hoping for the best. The Greektown area is fun, it is opening day/weekend for the Tigers and if the weather is decent the riverfront area is pretty nice now. I've had partial season tickets for the Tigers for the past four years and went down for the all-star, super bowl and final four festivities and have never had a problem down there. In contrast, when I was at the FF in Milwaukee a few years ago some idiot stole my credit card info at the hotel and in Denver the SWAT team ended up at our hotel on my floor!!

dggoddard
03-17-2010, 03:43 PM
In Denver the SWAT team ended up at our hotel on my floor!!What were they drinking?

Jon
03-17-2010, 04:03 PM
so would a 7 OT college lacrosse game.

You win the thread.

I'm rooting for all the traditional powers to collapse just so we have a month of their spoiled rotten fan bases having something in common with my alma mater (sigh).

CLS
03-17-2010, 04:03 PM
When they announced the Ford Field Frozen Four it didn't seem like that bad an idea at the time. I thought is was kind of cool that everyone who wanted to could attend the event.

Obviously the economy has tanked since then and outdoor/football stadium games have become commonplace.

Once they knew they were in trouble with ticket sales, that was the time to switch venues. They chose not to and we now have this epic impending disaster to look forward to.

Also it doesn't exactly inspire confidence when the Madison crew couldn't keep the ice from melting in 20 degree atmosphere. If the ice is crappy at Ford Field, will anyone be surprised? Is there a backup plan?I, and if memory serves, many others hated the idea from day it was announced, and there have been many, spirited exchanges since the announcement.

As far as switching, though, I'm not sure that would have been practical. They wouldn't have known about trouble with ticket sales until after the lottery closed, and then it would've been too late. The FF requires an NHL sized arena that's going to be available for the better part of a week, during a time that the NHL and the NBA are either in the playoffs or at critical points of the season. Switching venues would require much more than a year's lead time.

As for this string, I guess I don't see the point of speculating now. It's only a few weeks away. Nobody's going to change their plans at this point. Why not wait until the event happens, and then decide whether it's "The Worst Ever" or not (I didn't attend it, but from what I've heard, Cincinnati sets the standard for that)?

That having been said,

I hope that [the detractors] end up being wrong about this year's frozen four. For the sake of everyone who's going, I hope that also.

Siouxfaninseattle
03-17-2010, 04:16 PM
That should suit Joe Colborne. 6'5" with the wingspan of an albatross and two sisters that play college basketball.

Rakhshani is from Huntington Beach so his game shouldn't see much if any of a drop off.

Chevy is from Cole Harbor, so I think we'll be OK in goal.

I'm worried that some of our guys from Alberta may not be strong swimmers. I'd expect Gwoz to be wearing swim fins instead of dancing shoes.

:D

nmupiccdiva
03-17-2010, 04:18 PM
I love the D1 forum in March. Pass the popcorn.

RedFreak
Judging from the almost universal condemnation of the Ford Field site from Day One, I don't think we have to turn to excuses like the bad economy or outdoor games to understand the lack of interest in tickets.

That said, we won't know until it's over how many people ultimately go.

bigblue_dl
Water Polo, huh.

I wonder if Frattin and Marvin will resort to trying to drown the opponents.

scullyer
03-17-2010, 04:27 PM
My team is out of consideration, so from this point forward there are only 2 teams I do not want to see: NMU and Mich. I am already upset I have to watch them this weekend at the Joe. I don't think there can be a "worst tourney". I would be curious to see how this thread held up if it wound up Denver/Miami/BC/Wisconsin. I am a college hockey fan. I will be at the FF all weekend, for everything, no matter who plays. Just enjoy the hockey.

Driftryder
03-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Water Polo, huh.

Waterboarding wouldn't be out of the question.

huskyhockey2000
03-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi all! I've started a new blog at http://wchahockeyblog.blogspot.com. Come and check it out. I think you'll like it.

du78
03-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Water Polo, huh.

Probably by tying lawnmowers and furniture to their opponents.

J.D.
03-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Any tourney with BC in it can't be the worst :p

The Rube
03-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Water Polo, huh.

Should be pretty easy since Frattin plays in North Dakota.

bigblue_dl
03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Should be pretty easy since Frattin plays in North Dakota.
Are you saying that he should be used to being waist deep in water, especially in the spring?

Runninwiththedogs
03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
That's what GLM and I are thinking, but there are some close-to-legit points (UAH is the worst team to make it in recent history, for example).

Are you two openly dating yet?

Hi all! I've started a new blog at http://wchahockeyblog.blogspot.com. Come and check it out. I think you'll like it.

Do you also have $10,000,000 you need to smuggle out of Nigeria by using my bank account? I am here to assist.

The Rube
03-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Are you two openly dating yet?

That question is as loaded as the gun I'm gonna use on you. :p

Runninwiththedogs
03-17-2010, 06:18 PM
That question is as loaded as the gun I'm gonna use on you. :p

Yeah, but when and where are you going to be using this gun?

The Rube
03-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah, but when and where are you going to be using this gun?

Whenever my heart desires. :D