No announcement yet.

2010 NCAA Tournament: The Worst Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 NCAA Tournament: The Worst Ever?

Originally posted by Roben View Post

How about NoDak/Denver/Miami/Michigan...however I wouldn't consider Miami a traditional power.

I think Miami will bring a ton of fans considering how close the school is to Detroit (driving distance). That Frozen Four you mention would be a strong one, too. I dont think they can afford to have the same field as, say, last year or the place will be empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
      I think Miami will bring a ton of fans considering how close the school is to Detroit (driving distance). That Frozen Four you mention would be a strong one, too. I dont think they can afford to have the same field as, say, last year or the place will be empty.
      Wasn't there going to be "Student Sections" at this Frozen Four. Is that still part of the plan?

Are they going to have nets behind the goals?

How many tickets have been sold vs. at this time last year?

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        Wasn't there going to be "Student Sections" at this Frozen Four. Is that still part of the plan?
        I heard something about that, but it seems unrealistic. If Alaska makes it, how many 'students' will they bring? 10?

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
          I heard something about that, but it seems unrealistic. If Alaska makes it, how many 'students' will they bring? 10?
          If they bring the Killer Polar Bear that will be enough.

******* width="560" height="340">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8THGqrjUDGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8THGqrjUDGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">
          Last edited by dggoddard; 03-17-2010, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
            Yeah right. Like you can get anything at Starsucks for $2.79.

That will buy you a condescending look for ordering "regular coffee, black" and get you pushed aside with a bark of, "NEXT!"

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
              ...... nope just a dynasty
              I can't believe it took 30 posts to get to it

Comment

When they announced the Ford Field Frozen Four it didn't seem like that bad an idea at the time. I thought is was kind of cool that everyone who wanted to could attend the event.

Obviously the economy has tanked since then and outdoor/football stadium games have become commonplace.

Once they knew they were in trouble with ticket sales, that was the time to switch venues. They chose not to and we now have this epic impending disaster to look forward to.

Also it doesn't exactly inspire confidence when the Madison crew couldn't keep the ice from melting in 20 degree atmosphere. If the ice is crappy at Ford Field, will anyone be surprised? Is there a backup plan?

Comment

Is there a backup plan?
                  Yeah. Water polo.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

At least there is still a legitimate champion at the end of the season, unlike college football. I want to see the teams that earned it get the spots, not just a bunch of big names. This isn't the BCS, your name and prestige doesn't earn you free money.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      Yeah. Water polo.
                      That should suit Joe Colborne. 6'5" with the wingspan of an albatross and two sisters that play college basketball.

Rakhshani is from Huntington Beach so his game shouldn't see much if any of a drop off.

Chevy is from Cole Harbor, so I think we'll be OK in goal.

I'm worried that some of our guys from Alberta may not be strong swimmers. I'd expect Gwoz to be juggling the lines.
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 03-17-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

That should suit Joe Colborne. 6'5" with the wingspan of an albatross and two sisters that play college basketball.
                        Would that be a Southern Royal or a Noth Pacfic Albatross?...
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I hope that most people end up being wrong about this year's frozen four. I'm from a small school (Ferris) so I enjoy when other non-powers like Bemidji do well. I've gone to the last 5 forzen fours and my team has never made it but I go just to enjoy college hockey.

As for Detroit, I think most people will enjoy the experience if they let themselves. I have no idea how the hockey will play out at Ford Field but it is a nice facility otherwise and I'm hoping for the best. The Greektown area is fun, it is opening day/weekend for the Tigers and if the weather is decent the riverfront area is pretty nice now. I've had partial season tickets for the Tigers for the past four years and went down for the all-star, super bowl and final four festivities and have never had a problem down there. In contrast, when I was at the FF in Milwaukee a few years ago some idiot stole my credit card info at the hotel and in Denver the SWAT team ended up at our hotel on my floor!!

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post
                            In Denver the SWAT team ended up at our hotel on my floor!!
                            What were they drinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Roben View Post
                              so would a 7 OT college lacrosse game.
                              You win the thread.

I'm rooting for all the traditional powers to collapse just so we have a month of their spoiled rotten fan bases having something in common with my alma mater (sigh).

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

When they announced the Ford Field Frozen Four it didn't seem like that bad an idea at the time. I thought is was kind of cool that everyone who wanted to could attend the event.

Obviously the economy has tanked since then and outdoor/football stadium games have become commonplace.

Once they knew they were in trouble with ticket sales, that was the time to switch venues. They chose not to and we now have this epic impending disaster to look forward to.

Also it doesn't exactly inspire confidence when the Madison crew couldn't keep the ice from melting in 20 degree atmosphere. If the ice is crappy at Ford Field, will anyone be surprised? Is there a backup plan?
                                I, and if memory serves, many others hated the idea from day it was announced, and there have been many, spirited exchanges since the announcement.

As far as switching, though, I'm not sure that would have been practical. They wouldn't have known about trouble with ticket sales until after the lottery closed, and then it would've been too late. The FF requires an NHL sized arena that's going to be available for the better part of a week, during a time that the NHL and the NBA are either in the playoffs or at critical points of the season. Switching venues would require much more than a year's lead time.

As for this string, I guess I don't see the point of speculating now. It's only a few weeks away. Nobody's going to change their plans at this point. Why not wait until the event happens, and then decide whether it's "The Worst Ever" or not (I didn't attend it, but from what I've heard, Cincinnati sets the standard for that)?

That having been said,
                                Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
                                I hope that [the detractors] end up being wrong about this year's frozen four.
                                For the sake of everyone who's going, I hope that also.
                                Last edited by CLS; 03-17-2010, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X