PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NCAA Tournament: The Worst Ever?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

johnnypohlfan
03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
I know that to all you WCHA types the ideal NCAA tournament would be a repeat of what happens in the F5 this week, but it's a national tournament, not a regional one.

All us WCHA types? Where do you come up with this stuff? I'm as pro-WCHA as you can get but your statement is way off base. I'd rather see the teams that earned it. Why would I want my Gophers there this year? So they can get embarassed again?

Thanks for making such a sweeping generalization though. Well done.

ck1969
03-17-2010, 01:57 PM
A thimble of tap water.

Nope that's $4.50. ;)

Siouxfaninseattle
03-17-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm hoping for a Bemidji, Yale, Ferris St, Alabama-Huntsville frozen 4. I think that would draw the greatest possible attendence at Ford field, give a great boost to college hockey and make ESPN very happy.

If this happens, even I won't watch.

GoNU5
03-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing that traditional powers aren't in. Watching the same 4 or 6 teams fighting in the frozen four doesn't make a very exciting tournament, variety is more interesting to watch, at least to me.

Priceless
03-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks for making such a sweeping generalization though. Well done.

No problem :)

Priceless
03-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing that traditional powers aren't in. Watching the same 4 or 6 teams fighting in the frozen four doesn't make a very exciting tournament, variety is more interesting to watch, at least to me.

You're crazy!

dggoddard
03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
That 'attendance' figure is going to be very interesting. I do not think (no matter who makes it).. they'll get 18K.
Maybe we need to have a contest. Closest guess to actual attendance wins an all expenses paid trip to the next Frozen four held in Detroit.

dggoddard
03-17-2010, 02:17 PM
I know better than to take this as seriously....;)

Roben
03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm hoping for a Bemidji, Yale, Ferris St, Alabama-Huntsville frozen 4. I think that would draw the greatest possible attendence at Ford field, give a great boost to college hockey and make ESPN very happy.

so would a 7 OT college lacrosse game.

That 'attendance' figure is going to be very interesting. I do not think (no matter who makes it).. they'll get 18K.

Ford Field was a poor choice. If they could've gotten Joe Louis.. that's a different story :)

I hate that this is at Ford Field. I was at Camp Randall this year, that was an experience, but having a college game, let alone the F4 at a football stadium is absolutely a dumb idea.

Bemidji is a cupcake? Did you watch last year's tournament?

They did beat Ohio State this year...but look what OHST did last year!

...BC/Denver/Miami/Michigan would be a nice Frozen Four. If Wisconsin or North Dakota made it in lieu of one of the first three teams mentioned, it would work, too.

How about NoDak/Denver/Miami/Michigan...however I wouldn't consider Miami a traditional power.

Driftryder
03-17-2010, 02:27 PM
How about NoDak/Denver/Miami/Michigan...however I wouldn't consider Miami a traditional power.

...... nope just a dynasty

Slasher7
03-17-2010, 02:30 PM

I think Miami will bring a ton of fans considering how close the school is to Detroit (driving distance). That Frozen Four you mention would be a strong one, too. I dont think they can afford to have the same field as, say, last year or the place will be empty.

dggoddard
03-17-2010, 02:32 PM
I think Miami will bring a ton of fans considering how close the school is to Detroit (driving distance). That Frozen Four you mention would be a strong one, too. I dont think they can afford to have the same field as, say, last year or the place will be empty.Wasn't there going to be "Student Sections" at this Frozen Four. Is that still part of the plan?

Are they going to have nets behind the goals?

How many tickets have been sold vs. at this time last year?

Slasher7
03-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Wasn't there going to be "Student Sections" at this Frozen Four. Is that still part of the plan?

I heard something about that, but it seems unrealistic. If Alaska makes it, how many 'students' will they bring? 10?

dggoddard
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
I heard something about that, but it seems unrealistic. If Alaska makes it, how many 'students' will they bring? 10?If they bring the Killer Polar Bear that will be enough.

******** width="560" height="340">******* name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8THGqrjUDGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param>******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8THGqrjUDGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

BUPhD
03-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Yeah right. Like you can get anything at Starsucks for $2.79.

That will buy you a condescending look for ordering "regular coffee, black" and get you pushed aside with a bark of, "NEXT!"

MUhawks628
03-17-2010, 02:58 PM
...... nope just a dynasty

I can't believe it took 30 posts to get to it ;)

dggoddard
03-17-2010, 03:18 PM
When they announced the Ford Field Frozen Four it didn't seem like that bad an idea at the time. I thought is was kind of cool that everyone who wanted to could attend the event.

Obviously the economy has tanked since then and outdoor/football stadium games have become commonplace.

Once they knew they were in trouble with ticket sales, that was the time to switch venues. They chose not to and we now have this epic impending disaster to look forward to.

Also it doesn't exactly inspire confidence when the Madison crew couldn't keep the ice from melting in 20 degree atmosphere. If the ice is crappy at Ford Field, will anyone be surprised? Is there a backup plan?

Hammer
03-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Is there a backup plan?

Yeah. Water polo.

I Want Shegos
03-17-2010, 03:21 PM
At least there is still a legitimate champion at the end of the season, unlike college football. I want to see the teams that earned it get the spots, not just a bunch of big names. This isn't the BCS, your name and prestige doesn't earn you free money.

dggoddard
03-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah. Water polo.That should suit Joe Colborne. 6'5" with the wingspan of an albatross and two sisters that play college basketball.

Rakhshani is from Huntington Beach so his game shouldn't see much if any of a drop off.

Chevy is from Cole Harbor, so I think we'll be OK in goal.

I'm worried that some of our guys from Alberta may not be strong swimmers. I'd expect Gwoz to be juggling the lines.