Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010-11 Schedules

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    Well that's just ridiculous. It's played in Missouri, against other teams that don't provide travel exemptions! Is there any rationale behind the decision?
    Other than that's how it's always been, no. BU actually had to get a special exemption because they were just in the IceBreaker two years ago.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Well that's just ridiculous. It's played in Missouri, against other teams that don't provide travel exemptions! Is there any rationale behind the decision?
      I think that the rationale is that it is a preseason tourney.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
        Other than that's how it's always been, no. BU actually had to get a special exemption because they were just in the IceBreaker two years ago.
        Alright, then color me less impressed than I previously was. Hosting a tournament on your own ice should not receive an exemption. Heck, RPI's been hosting a tournament for 59 years! Where's our exemption! (No, this is not an actual part of my argument, just trying to state how unintelligent this sounds.)

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        I think that the rationale is that it is a preseason tourney.
        Last time I checked, the definition of "pre-season" was "before the season starts." With CC-RPI and a multitude of other teams playing on the 8th and 9th, I would be among the crowd stating that the Ice Breaker is not a pre-season tourney.
        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Alright, then color me less impressed than I previously was. Hosting a tournament on your own ice should not receive an exemption. Heck, RPI's been hosting a tournament for 59 years! Where's our exemption! (No, this is not an actual part of my argument, just trying to state how unintelligent this sounds.)

Last time I checked, the definition of "pre-season" was "before the season starts." With CC-RPI and a multitude of other teams playing on the 8th and 9th, I would be among the crowd stating that the Ice Breaker is not a pre-season tourney.
          Sure it's pre-season. The Ivy Leagues aren't playing yet. I think it's a general agreement, although by no means official, that the regular season usually begins with your first in-conference game, which is around November or so.

I think the NCAA uses the IceBreaker as its kickoff to college hockey for the year, and I would guess that teams didn't necessarily want to start that early when the IceBreaker tradition first started, so they offered an exemption to get teams to play. Ever since, it has stuck, but I think you can only play in it once every 4 years to qualify for the exemption, hence why BU had to get special permission.

Comment

The Ice Breaker is actually "put-on" by the HCA - the Hockey Commissioners Association - part of the American Hockey Coaches Association (ACHA), who puts on the Florida Coaches Convention. The Ice Breaker is exempt because the Commissioners say it is. That's just the way it is...

http://www.ahcahockey.com/news/0809/0505iceb.html
            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
            ECAC:
            HEA: UMass
            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
              The Ice Breaker is actually "put-on" by the HCA - the Hockey Commissioners Association - part of the American Hockey Coaches Association (ACHA), who puts on the Florida Coaches Convention. The Ice Breaker is exempt because the Commissioners say it is. That's just the way it is...

http://www.ahcahockey.com/news/0809/0505iceb.html
              See, now this makes sense (even if it is redundant - It is because it is).
              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

BU's schedule corrected a game against Northeastern that was originally listed on a Tuesday, that's now a Wednesday on both team's sites.
                Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
                12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
                National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Pretty sure I haven't seen this in this thread yet so...

Dartmouth
                  Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                  Go Crimson!

Comment

I like that Dartmouth football @ Princeton is on the same date as Dartmouth hockey @ Princeton (11/20).

I don't like that the football game starts at 1 PM and hockey game at 4 PM...
                    Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
                    University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Mercyhurst: http://www.hurstathletics.com/schedu...?path=mhockey&
                      Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                      College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                      Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                      Men's Frozen Four 2010
                      Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                      Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

The UMass Lowell schedule.
                        http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m...key-sched.html

Comment

Looks like the University of New Brunswick will have a busy night on Oct 3. They are scheduled to play @ UVM and @ Umass Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by pucked off View Post
                            Looks like the University of New Brunswick will have a busy night on Oct 3. They are scheduled to play @ UVM and @ Umass Lowell.
                            Split squad maybe?
                            Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
                              Split squad maybe?
                              Quantum mechanics?

Comment

Originally posted by pucked off View Post
                                They play neither on Oct 3. According to the UNB schedule they play UMass- Amherst on 10/2 and UVM on 10/4. Maybe the UML game was added for 10/3 but has not been updated.

http://vreds.unb.ca/Teams/Hockey/schedule.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X