Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

McBain scored his first career NHL goal this afternoon against Sid the Kid's Pens......in OT with 1 sec left to play.

Comment

Originally posted by srkbadger View Post
      You honestly don't see a difference between yesterday and the effort put out in the first period against Denver? Night and day to me. But then again, you may be the only one who can judge effort correctly.

BTW, I've seen Turnbull do more in the first 20 minutes today than I've see from Johnson for the last month.
      1. I'm not watching today's game.

2. There's a funny correlation in fans' perception of effort and a team's success. Evidence of actual causation is a bit fleeting, however.
      "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
        Well said. Sometimes you don't get the breaks. I saw good skating and good play for the most part.

99% of fan posts about a team's effort are complete bull****, and this board is no exception. You have no idea what's going on.

I sure as hell didn't see any lack of effort.
        Thanks for setting us all straight. BTW, Eaves didn't agree with your assessment of the effort.

If you can't see the difference between good and bad effort, maybe you shouldn't correct those of us who can.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Thanks for setting us all straight. BTW, Eaves didn't agree with your assessment of the effort.

If you can't see the difference between good and bad effort, maybe you shouldn't correct those of us who can.
          If the coach says it, that's one thing. Just remember that he's saying things to achieve a desired outcome, not to offer unvarnished, objective analysis.

Fans? Sorry, don't buy it. Heard the same things after the UW basketball team's bad game in the Big Ten tourney. No effort? Do you think they were trying to shoot less than 20%?

Again, I can tell you the difference between good play and poor play. The effort, however, is different. I've seen plenty of teams that put a lot of effort into their play, but they're still not very good. Likewise, I've seen teams with lots of talent who can play well without effort.

The armchair quarterbacking of fans, however, is like predicting that the sun will rise in the morning.
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            I think there's a fair amount of truth to that. And because some players have that ability they cause opponents to change their game, which acts like compounded interest. Reinprecht may not be the top star on your list or the best goal-scorer, but he had a way of destabilizing the other team's flow when he was on the ice. Part of that was his linemate, but he was creative in the offensive zone in a way that made coverage a real problem. He was a closer with the shot or the pass.

It's not that I'm a Reinprecht groupie, but he was an example of someone who could be a closer without wowing you with his stand-alone skills. Even without considering Heatley, he was rarely the most talented player on the ice. It takes something more and, as you say, few have it. Those two Hukalo OT goals against UND started with Reinprecht in the face-off circle, if I recall. Crunch time and he delivered.
            Rhino could score and set-up. What I loved most about him is he had something else a lot of other players don't have recently (and this comes from real serious work alone on the pond or basement, etc) he could stick-handle in a phone booth as they say.

I remember Paul Braun or Howie mentioning when Rhino arrived they hadn't seen a badger beat so many gopher players one on one.

I think you're right on the 2 OT goals. Rhino was the set-up man. gotta recheck youtube cause my memory isn't too great on those...
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
              The armchair quarterbacking of fans, however, is like predicting that the sun will rise in the morning.
              As is the fact that a few posters in this thread will act like they know more than everyone else. "There, there son. You just don't understand the big picture like I do. Run along now."

If you were watching today's game, I bet you'd see the difference in the Badger's intensity. Granted, Denver seems disinterested, but we are flying today.

Comment

yep. I think what most of are saying (Including Eaves for a moment yesterday) is that this team isn't playing well enough right now to take it all.

we obviously want them too. but some of us don't see it based on the rat game, yesterday's game, or an entire season where the team didn't win 5-6 consecutive games

plain and simple. as fans we then take what we see and analyze it based on past performances, prior years, teams,etc.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having opinions on your favorite team, their chances, their talent, their coaching, their effort.

that's part of what defines the term "fan" which is short for fanatic.

I guess what I've been thinking personally is based on prior years, 1989-90, 2005-06, I think you can see when a team is on a mission. I'm not sure if this year's UW team can be put into that category, though I'd love to see them get on 4 game win streak at the end

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

And now for the glass is 1/2 full angle.

5-1 UW after 2. And from what I'm hearing (I'm not watching) the effort is like the 3rd period yesterday through 2.

Also - of note, that REALLY surprised me as it didn't stand out previously. Both UW and DU have not lost consecutive games all season....

UW has no losing streaks then, and 4-games is their longest win streak...

food for thought

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                    Its kind of hard to beat a team like SCSU when you are trying to kill a powerplay all the time.
                    I think the team played well, they just had a lot of bad luck with penalties.
                    I dont question the leadership of Geoffrion. Id chalk this loss up to the Badgers simply taking far too many penalties.
                    UW only took 5 penalties yesterday. One was a 5 mintes, so uw took 7.5 penalties yesterday. I'd say that wasn't too many.

I think effort is easy too see. If you are flying, it looks like you have an extra guy out there, and if you aren't it looks like you're always outnumbered. To me that's the easiest thing too see. In the last half of the 3rd period, it looked like UW had an extra guy out there. Before that, UW had very few great scoring chances, and when those few did occur, they got stopped.

We can agree to disagree...we're all still UW hockey kin.

LET'S GO RED!
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Now THAT's how you want to go into the NCAA's. Nice win, but an even better effort. Hopefully they can sustain this for four more.

How nice was it to have announcers actually do these games in a professional manner? Hendrickson & LaP-whatever and Gorg(dude looks like a Gorg) did a nice job both today and yesterday. I know they're homers, but they don't make it so painfully obvious. Hopefully Dumb and Dumber will retire soon.
                      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 03-20-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Who was this "Ben Dixon" guy that the Badgers suited today for the DU game?

I agree that the announcers were good but everytime I heard the FSN guy mispronounce Bendy's name it made me smirk..........
                        Signature under construction.....bids being accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by HighToTheGloveSide View Post

I agree that the announcers were good but everytime I heard the FSN guy mispronounce Bendy's name it made me smirk..........
                          FYP, but they're by contrast SO much better than the alternative.

Funny though that Cerniglia pronounces it that way also and he's actually part of the staff.

Comment

Originally posted by HighToTheGloveSide View Post

Mike Cerniglia on the Badger radio broadcasts says " Ben Dickson" as well, but Posick says Ben'-dick-son.

I agree about the announcers. LaPanta and Darby Hendrickson are pretty good. I think it was Mike Rich who did the Badgers Vs Denver pbp? He's pretty good as well. Not bad for gofer dudes.
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Now THAT's how you want to go into the NCAA's. Nice win, but an even better effort. Hopefully they can sustain this for four more.

How nice was it to have announcers actually do these games in a professional manner? Hendrickson & LaP-whatever and Gorg(dude looks like a Gorg) did a nice job both today and yesterday. I know they're homers, but they don't make it so painfully obvious. Hopefully Dumb and Dumber will retire soon.
                              100% agreed.

knocking off #1 in the country to enter NCAA's is a great thing

Comment

Cheverie's stats vs Bucky this year:

W-L-T
                                0-2-1

GAA

SV%

It's nice to see Wisconsin pick up some steam going into the tournament.
                                Signature under construction.....bids being accepted.

Comment

Working...
                                X