Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Part 3: Just win, baby!

I would have most likely made the trip to St Paul, but after working 60+ hours this week in a factory, I was in no condition for the game.
    My girlfriend and I were at the BW3 in Monona cheering on the Badgers though.
    A Badger living in Buckeye country.
    Originally posted by MadCityRich
    He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
    Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
    "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
      We bought our four tickets for the '08 Madison regional as soon as they went on sale, and it was a big mistake. Ticket office wouldn't know "best available" if it bit them in the ***. We were able to move to better seats, however, where we could actually see the game.
      I don't remember what I did, but I made sure to get front row 200 level seats, right behind a net. I think online it let you select what section to be in maybe?

Managed great seats in 2006 in GB as well - on the glass, just inside the blue line of UW's offensive zone for the 3 OT game. Couldn't see what was happening with Elliott at the other end, which was probably a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Madison Regional:

I thought that the first two levels were mostly full and didn't our regional lead in attendance? Again, bought my tickets right when they went on sale hoping for the best although not nearly as confident as in 05-06. BTW, would YOU pay $80 to sit upstairs with obstructed views? I sure wouldn't. Also factor in that we weren't a very good team that season and were a long shot to even beat Denver in the first game.
        Attendance for the two UW games was just shy of 10,000 each time.

We bought our four tickets for the '08 Madison regional as soon as they went on sale, and it was a big mistake. Ticket office wouldn't know "best available" if it bit them in the ***. We were able to move to better seats, however, where we could actually see the game.
        That's the other problem - they sell tickets at just one price point (or without much differentiation between price points) and there's little to no incentive to buy tickets in advance - you have little assurance that your team will be where you'd like them to be, and even when you do have that assurance (as in Madison), the NCAA has the nasty habit of rewarding your loyalty with crappy seats.
        "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
          I don't remember what I did, but I made sure to get front row 200 level seats, right behind a net. I think online it let you select what section to be in maybe?
          We responded to the UW mailing. I don't do that any more.

Originally posted by aktick View Post
          Managed great seats in 2006 in GB as well - on the glass, just inside the blue line of UW's offensive zone for the 3 OT game. Couldn't see what was happening with Elliott at the other end, which was probably a good thing.
          Yeah, we were on that end, too. Great view of the winning goal. One of my strongest memories of that game, however, was watching the goal light on the other end in dread, because we couldn't see the play worth a darn.

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
            Attendance for the two UW games was just shy of 10,000 each time.

That's the other problem - they sell tickets at just one price point (or without much differentiation between price points) and there's little to no incentive to buy tickets in advance - you have little assurance that your team will be where you'd like them to be, and even when you do have that assurance (as in Madison), the NCAA has the nasty habit of rewarding your loyalty with crappy seats.
            I remembered the attendance as OK, though less than I would have expected with the Badgers being there. We were going in any case, but I've learned to wait on getting tickets so I've got a shot at some control over where they're at.

Comment

thought I would post this here (also did in the Detroit info thread):

Hotel tip for those willing to have a short commute in. I booked through Priceline, and got the Hyatt Regency in Dearborn for $50 a night ($178.68 total with taxes for the 3 nights). Bid on the Dearborn zone, 4 star category (there is only one other hotel in that category that is possibile in 4 star range...a Marriott that would be even better to get). 2 things with Priceline is you have bought the room no matter what (no refunds, cancellations, ect) and the bedding is only guaranteed double occupancy/2 people (I've only run into a problem once where we could not get 2 beds and usually throw a blow up mattress in the car just in case for the kids).

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                I don't think anyone knows what to expect out of RIT. Looking at their roster they're an old group. only 3 89 birthdates that I saw, and a few 24-year old players I assume aged out of Junior A. A lot of Canadians on the team.
                There are 4 kids on the team that played for the Gamblers. There was an interview with Andrew Favot their second leading scorer(who is not 1 of the 4), on TV during their first game. He said he always dreamed of playing for Wisconsin. He had a very good weekend. Their goalie was outstanding. The Badgers will need to get to him early.

I had the same thoughts about Ben Street that have been mentioned. Could'nt hit the net and seemed lost quite a bit not being with Stepan and Davies.

One last note, I loved the kids dressed in their Badger clothes that were sporting the staches.

Comment

Posted my thoughts on regional attendance at the Kohl in the ticket price thread, but here goes again. Getting 9816 in attendance for a regional championship game with a rival like North Dakota in a regional that also had a major rival like DU and Princeton (both of which had a group of people still hanging around town on Sunday not to mention North Dakota travels pretty well) is an abysmal failure, and nothing else. Yes, UW was also involved in the basketball tourney that weekend (unless my memory is foggy), but drawing fewer people to a regional final then season ticketholders for UW hockey it beyond pathetic. It is painfully apparent to anyone with a brain that the regionals can not support the existing price structure even with a major local program involved much less when the local teams don't happen to make it. Pricing absolutely should be tiered so a family of 4 might actually chose to drop say $200 for upper level side seats at the Kohl instead of saying screw it we'll watch on tv and save $400.

Comment

"The Athletic Department does not have any plans to offer a fan bus to the Frozen Four. However we are working to set up fan events for those making the trip to Detroit and hope to announce those plans shortly. Any announcements will be made on UWBadgers.com."

Comment

Hotel booked in Southfield for Fri and Sat night. Just can't get away from work for the Thurs. game. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out. 7 and I'll be in heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by Madtown View Post
                        Hotel booked in Southfield for Fri and Sat night. Just can't get away from work for the Thurs. game. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out. 7 and I'll be in heaven!
                        Unh fan here, by far think you have best shot to win it all , good luck and play like you played us in beginning of year you should have no problem..... Butler for Hobey......

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

I think that the overriding problem is the ticket price. Just like the Camp Randall fiasco, why not charge less and have more people there? You can make money back on concessions and parking. You have ZERO chance of getting any locals to those games with the prices where they are. In addition, atmosphere counts and mostly empty arenas are a drag. Foolishness.
                          Absolutely. I was considering taking a half day of vacation on Friday to drive up to St. Paul, where I would have had a place to stay for free or very cheap, and in the end, the face value on the tickets really just made it a little too expensive to consider. Seeing so many empty seats bummed me out watching it on TV, it would have bummed me out even more if I had been there.

Yeah, we bought ours the first day they were on sale, we got stuck in the last row of the 200s, which in itself wasn't terrible, but I highly doubt those were the "best available" at the time we ordered.
                          Wisconsin Hockey is life... Everything else is just filler.

Comment

Originally posted by ganzhimself View Post
                            Yeah, we bought ours the first day they were on sale, we got stuck in the last row of the 200s, which in itself wasn't terrible, but I highly doubt those were the "best available" at the time we ordered.
                            We ordered ours immediately and we were stuck way down in the first few rows in the corner.

I like the last row of the 200s. Our Saturday night tickets are last row of the 200s, on the blue line. I'm surprised you got those, because time and again it has been our experience that they consider good seats to be way down low. I hate those seats because you can't see half the action.

What I have decided is not to order tickets when they give you no ability to state a preference (first level, second level, sides, ends). Many venues do. And I've learned that even when they don't at the first ticket offering, the ability often appears later in the process. And there's always the scalpers.

Comment

What I have decided is not to order tickets when they give you no ability to state a preference (first level, second level, sides, ends). Many venues do. And I've learned that even when they don't at the first ticket offering, the ability often appears later in the process. And there's always the scalpers.
                              I've decided that I'm going to try buying from the scalpers next time the Badgers are in a regional that is close enough to drive to... No point in laying out all the money before hand to get crummy seats. Even if they end up costing more than face, (I have no idea, I've never bought tix off the guys selling on the streets) so be it.
                              Wisconsin Hockey is life... Everything else is just filler.

Comment

Originally posted by ganzhimself View Post
                                I've decided that I'm going to try buying from the scalpers next time the Badgers are in a regional that is close enough to drive to... No point in laying out all the money before hand to get crummy seats. Even if they end up costing more than face, (I have no idea, I've never bought tix off the guys selling on the streets) so be it.
                                I'll bet they don't sell for more than face if the place in only a third full.

Comment

Working...
                                X