Ohio State Next Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

right, Miami is the best currently, BG is the best historically, we always fall somewhere in the middle. The new coach needs to turn that around.

Comment

Dave Smith (OSU '92) - Has done a great job as Head Coach of Canisius.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        Miami is the better program CURRENTLY. Let's give it say 5 years and then see who has the bigger bag of marbles? There were times when one could have honestly said Cincinnati or Xavier had a better basketball program than us and now that has been reversed.
        Thats fine, we will give it 5 years. But in 5 years I would be willing to bet Miami is in the same position they currently are in, especially with the recruits they have lined up. Who knows where Ohio st. will be.
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by BuckeyeHockey View Post
          Ok, time for me to throw in my 2 cents. First of, all, there is absolutely NO love lost between myself and Miami and (most of) their fans. And yes I hope Michigan blows them away this weekend. Now, with that being said, Miami fans, please do not think remotely for a second that Sterling represents Ohio State fans.

To Sterling: Where do you think new head coaches come from? Usually to get the next big head coach you go find an up and coming assistant coach at a major program, and yes as much as it p ins me to admit it, Miami is a major program. If there is an assistant at Miami that would work here I would gladly hire him, strengthens us, weakens them at the same time sounds like a win-win to me.

The elite hockey school in Ohio right now IS Miami, noone else even holds a candle to them. I firmly believe with our budget, facilities and resources we should be equal to if not better than Miami but right now we are not even close. We are the biggest school in the conference, we should be able to be on top and we need to go find someone who can get us there.

I would put the chances at slim to none that Blasi comes here (and for the record I do not want him). Why leave a perennial power for a re-building project? I know we can offer him more money, and I suppose the idea of turning OHIO STATE- big school, big atheltic department, mediocre hockey team- into a power like he did with Miami could stroke his ego just enough to make him interested but I doubt he comes.
          I think it's obvious sterling is on an Island by himself.

Very nice post btw. I will say this, people really underestimate how much Blasi is getting paid at Miami. Hockey is the #1 sport at Miami and a big revenue generator so they can afford it. Also there are a lot of IF's in your idea's. They could offer him more money, maybe. But that money would have to come out of someone elses budget. All of your idea's are based on the athletic department doing a lot of things. Who say's they are willing to? This job is appealing but there are too many questions to be answered for a high profile coach to go there, IMO. They built a beautiful facility and thought that would do wonders for the program and it had some short term success but it didn't stick. Now a lot of that had to do with poor coaching. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds over the summer. I don't think this will be a short process...
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

OSU should hire Union Coach Nate Leaman. He was just named ECAC Coach of the Year and has built a no nothing program with no scholarships in the middle of a crap town in Upstate NY into a very nice program. They are in the ECAC Final 4 and have been ranked all year. With proper support, a great facility, scholarships and no Ivy's to compete against on the recruiting trail he would do well. And I am sure he would take the gig.
            Let's go U!

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              So if you don't hire someone else's assistant, who are the successful head coaches that are either currently available or would look to move to Ohio State?
              Perhaps an off-the-wall name...

Mark Mazzoleni is out there. Had success at Harvard and elsewhere at the college level before that. His USHL tenure in Green Bay was horrible - but I think that was because he didn't necessarily relate to 15-20 year-old kids and struggled with the very different player acquistion formula in the USHL. I don't think he forgot what he knows about hockey.

And would Mike Kemp leave his front office job at UNO to coach again?
              St. Norbert College Green Knights
              NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
              NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
              NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              ---
              SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                Perhaps an off-the-wall name...

Mark Mazzoleni is out there. Had success at Harvard and elsewhere at the college level before that. His USHL tenure in Green Bay was horrible - but I think that was because he didn't necessarily relate to 15-20 year-old kids and struggled with the very different player acquistion formula in the USHL. I don't think he forgot what he knows about hockey.

And would Mike Kemp leave his front office job at UNO to coach again?
                Thats the funniest post so far. Mike great asst. back in the day at Wisconsin but couldn't get it done at Omaha. Mazz got run out of both Harvard and Green Bay because his teams lost consistently. Look at what Cooper has done for that franchise, I would hire Cooper in a heartbeat. He seems to be able to put together a team that plays hard for each other. He has been a winner at every level he has gone to and the turn around in GB was immediate.

Comment

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
                  Thats the funniest post so far. Mike great asst. back in the day at Wisconsin but couldn't get it done at Omaha. Mazz got run out of both Harvard and Green Bay because his teams lost consistently. Look at what Cooper has done for that franchise, I would hire Cooper in a heartbeat. He seems to be able to put together a team that plays hard for each other. He has been a winner at every level he has gone to and the turn around in GB was immediate.
                  Well, sure, except we aren't letting Cooper leave!
                  St. Norbert College Green Knights
                  NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                  NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                  NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                  ---
                  SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                    Guess what. Your beloved Ohio State Buckeyes don't even know you exist. They're luckier than us, I guess.
                    Priceless! (and from a 'domer' no less... tee hee)
                    Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

I'd suggest that Gene Smith hire a coach with ties to either Boston College or--better yet--Boston University.

Since we all know that that team from down south can't beat either Boston school when it really matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
                        I agree entirely. I think some at little brother are just a little too smitten with and emotionally invested in the notion that we would have to settle for one of their assistants when making a head coaching hire that it's clouded their judgement. I'll say it again. Miami of Ohio hires Ohio State assistant coaches to be head coaches, not the other way around.
                        You know Sterling - I was starting to warm to you when you admitted you ain't getting Blasi, but that there's nothing wrong with making a play for him. I agree. Nothing wrong at all - no harm in asking. But this paragraph is asinine. If you got Miami's top assistant, you should be happy. He's good. Take your hate for "little brother" elsewhere. In the context of hockey, it's silly and ridiculous. Miami is the better hockey school than you - PERIOD. If it comes down to it - and you're not getting one of your "big names" - then you ought to want a top, bright assistant coach. Because if not, then what else ya gettin'?

And you spelled judgment wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
                          I think you want someone who knows the league, its recruiting territory. Cooper is a good choice because he has a lot of CCHA contact and has a strong recruiting base in the USHL. Jeff Blashill is from the Soo, played at Ferris and coached at Miami before moving to Indy. Chris Bergeron would also be an excellent candidate. Leaman might be the guy who can parlay his success at a mid-major into the next level. Bemidji's Tom Serratorre as well. Kinda like Brian Kelly going from Cincinnati to Notre Dame, still at the same level, but up a notch in prestige. Mark Osiecki from UW is a name that will always be mentioned and his USHL head coaching experience is a plus. One thing this does is possibly relegate Western Michigan to settle for the runner up. As for Markell, he's a BGSU alum and has yet to take the "interim" title off of Williams, although they would be smart to retain him.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by jwoodywild View Post
                            OSU should hire Union Coach Nate Leaman. He was just named ECAC Coach of the Year and has built a no nothing program with no scholarships in the middle of a crap town in Upstate NY into a very nice program. They are in the ECAC Final 4 and have been ranked all year. With proper support, a great facility, scholarships and no Ivy's to compete against on the recruiting trail he would do well. And I am sure he would take the gig.
                            I would agree from what I see from the standings. I don't get to see them play ever. I think C.J. Marottolo from Sacred Heart may be a good choice too.

Other names I'd throw out there would be, Mike Hastings, Bert Gilling, Danton Cole, Derek Schooley, Dave Smith, Steve Rohlik, Troy Ward, and Cary Eades.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                              Thats fine, we will give it 5 years. But in 5 years I would be willing to bet Miami is in the same position they currently are in, especially with the recruits they have lined up. Who knows where Ohio st. will be.
                              Who knows indeed where Ohio State will be in 5 years? But we'll meet back here in exactly 5 years and see.

Comment

Maybe Scott Paluch will come back from his USA job to return to the Buckeye State, but with a new team!?
                                Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Working...
                                X