Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
    Well, another for the "ignore poster" list. I find that anyone who refers to another institution in their state as "little brother" (and here I am, ignorant enough to think that was limited to Michigan) or MSU as "Sparty" (as you did earlier) has virtually nothing worth reading in his/hers/its posts. There are enough OSU fans and Michigan fans who do post that are intelligent and articulate and offer something of substance worth reading that your irrelevance will matter not a whit. You sound like so many other fans of certain teams who somehow feel that their affiliation with said teams somehow make them better, more attractive, smarter, or more well endowed. Guess what. Your beloved Ohio State Buckeyes don't even know you exist. They're luckier than us, I guess.
    A holier than thou domer. Imagine the odds of running into one of those. They're sooooo rare. Seriously, only a self-important domer could be so pompous as to write that little dissertation to announce to the world who's on his ignore list. Guess what? No one cares who you do or do not have on your ignore list. Get over yourself, domer.
    Last edited by Sterling Cooper; 03-16-2010, 05:24 PM.

Comment

They will be able to put together an impressive list of coaches for this position. Who among current head coaches that would consider moving to Ohio State is purely speculation. Assistants are fair game to talk about and there are many that have an impressive resume are out there who are ready to move up to a head coaching position. You have Chris Bergeron, Brent Brekke from Miami, probably forget anyone from Michigan, Paul Pooley from Notre Dame and has strong OSU ties, Steve Miller and Derek Lalonde from Denver have to be considered, Mark Osiecki from Wisconsin, Mike Bavis from BU and Mike Cavanaugh from BC. I would think minor pro head coaches and NHL assistants would be on the list but I know little to nothing about this group. There are plenty of good junior coaches on the list with maybe guys like Blashill, Litler and Cooper should be considered. If anyone has names that fit from the pro ranks please bring them forward.
      “You know what we were doing? We were on the phone calling Jon Corzine — literally. I literally picked up the phone and called Jon Corzine, and said, ‘Jon, what do you think we should do?'" ~Joe Biden~

Comment

48 posts without a Lane Kiffin reference. This place is slipping.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Thank you for not letting it get to 50.
          “You know what we were doing? We were on the phone calling Jon Corzine — literally. I literally picked up the phone and called Jon Corzine, and said, ‘Jon, what do you think we should do?'" ~Joe Biden~

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
            What makes you think OSU could sell out 17,500 even if they were good. No college team does that. Maybe North Dakota could, occasionally. Maybe Wisconsin. But who else? So expecting that is nuts.

How do we know they haven't funded hockey? Maybe they are - and Markell simply didn't do a good job. But I don't expect any coach, even if it's Jack Parker, George Gwozdecky, Rico Blasi, or Scotty Bowman to automatically turn OSU into a dominant national power that sells out 17,500. I don't care how much money they pump in and pay.

So for any of those big name college coaches to go there, they would have to be convinced that doing so would make them better off than where they are. And how much better off do Blasi or Gwoz need to be than where they are now? So OSU pays them $2 million/year? OK, maybe that would entice someone - but it won't make those guys' situations any better hockey wise. So why bother?
            Its pretty safe to say hockey at tosu is 3rd maybe 4th on the list of priorities in terms of athletic teams. So the funding would be in that tier as well. The lack of publicity and advertisement and the fact that they schedule the building out for high school wrestling and move their team to a small 1,000 seat arena for the playoffs is a small indication as to where the priority is. IF the athletic department committs itself to the program and puts in more resources then its possible for it to be a top tier program consistantly but they don't do that so a high profile coach won't take the job without a committment from the athletic department.
            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
              I agree entirely. I think some at little brother are just a little too smitten with and emotionally invested in the notion that we would have to settle for one of their assistants when making a head coaching hire that it's clouded their judgement. I'll say it again. Miami of Ohio hires Ohio State assistant coaches to be head coaches, not the other way around.

And for the Miamite who so eloquently stated, "your an idiot" in my negative rep, it's always best to nail down that pesky grammar when knocking someone else's intelligence.
              Name one Ohio st. assistant Miami hired? Where did Woody Hayes come from? It's amazing how pationate you are against Miami, who's hockey program is the best in the state. Sounds to me you are a little jealous, I mean Miami gets the best in state players and not to mention has a TV deal with an Ohio station. tOSU would be lucky to get one of Miami's assistants because they have been apart of building a program that year in and year out is in the top 5 and contending for a National Championship. But thats fine, we will keep them gladly and be there in the end.
              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

How about David Quinn? He was the Associate HC at BU for 5 seasons. This current season he's coaching Lake Erie in the AHL.
                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                  How about David Quinn? He was the Associate HC at BU for 5 seasons. This current season he's coaching Lake Erie in the AHL.
                  Nope, he was an assistant. According to sterling that isn't good enough....

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                    There are a number of financial clues that tell me OSU isn't as serious about hockey as they could be.

1) If OSU really cared more about hockey, it wouldn't be renting out its own building during hockey playoffs or when high profile opponents come to town and forcing the Bucks to play elsewhere.

2) It would also be a program we'd see on TV more. TV game can be purchased by those schools wishing to improve exposure. Denver is one team that buys some of its TV games each year from FSN. OSU could buy more games.

3) I've been to Columbus, and the marketing presense of Buckeye Hockey is pretty low. They also could do much more to get students into their barn than they do now.

Add it all up, and you can surmise that Buckeye Hockey is seen as nice afterthought, but not really a strategic asset...
                    True this is what it has been up to this point, but the question is will the athletic department take the plunge along with a new coach and look to overcome the deficiencies Puck Swami mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                      Nope, he was an assistant. According to sterling that isn't good enough....
                      He was HC of the USNDP team.

Who the hell is "sterling"?
                      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                        There are a number of financial clues that tell me OSU isn't as serious about hockey as they could be.

1) If OSU really cared more about hockey, it wouldn't be renting out its own building during hockey playoffs or when high profile opponents come to town and forcing the Bucks to play elsewhere.
                        If Ohio State could get a first round bye, the point would be moot. Besides, the school can take the guarantee with wrestling as opposed to a "just in case" with hockey.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by masquedman View Post
                          probably forget anyone from Michigan,
                          Does that mean Red won't be on the short list? LOL!

Comment

Ok, time for me to throw in my 2 cents. First of, all, there is absolutely NO love lost between myself and Miami and (most of) their fans. And yes I hope Michigan blows them away this weekend. Now, with that being said, Miami fans, please do not think remotely for a second that Sterling represents Ohio State fans.

To Sterling: Where do you think new head coaches come from? Usually to get the next big head coach you go find an up and coming assistant coach at a major program, and yes as much as it p ins me to admit it, Miami is a major program. If there is an assistant at Miami that would work here I would gladly hire him, strengthens us, weakens them at the same time sounds like a win-win to me.

The elite hockey school in Ohio right now IS Miami, noone else even holds a candle to them. I firmly believe with our budget, facilities and resources we should be equal to if not better than Miami but right now we are not even close. We are the biggest school in the conference, we should be able to be on top and we need to go find someone who can get us there.

I would put the chances at slim to none that Blasi comes here (and for the record I do not want him). Why leave a perennial power for a re-building project? I know we can offer him more money, and I suppose the idea of turning OHIO STATE- big school, big atheltic department, mediocre hockey team- into a power like he did with Miami could stroke his ego just enough to make him interested but I doubt he comes.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                              Name one Ohio st. assistant Miami hired? Where did Woody Hayes come from? It's amazing how pationate you are against Miami, who's hockey program is the best in the state. Sounds to me you are a little jealous, I mean Miami gets the best in state players and not to mention has a TV deal with an Ohio station. tOSU would be lucky to get one of Miami's assistants because they have been apart of building a program that year in and year out is in the top 5 and contending for a National Championship. But thats fine, we will keep them gladly and be there in the end.
                              Miami is the better program CURRENTLY. Let's give it say 5 years and then see who has the bigger bag of marbles? There were times when one could have honestly said Cincinnati or Xavier had a better basketball program than us and now that has been reversed.

Comment

Former SCSU coach Craig Dahl is available
                                There is Hope . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X