Ohio State Next Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

I actually agree with Scooby on this one. We'll never sell out the Schott with the exception of the occasional big series with Michigan or Sparty.

What we can do is bring in the type of coach who can build a program where attendance is consistently averaging in the 8-9 thousand range, which isn't too far from reality since we were still averaging close to 5K after the program's collapse in 2005. If we can get attendance up to that point on a consistent basis, we've paid down the athletic department's current debt load from previous construction projects and we have a coach we want (NEED) to keep, toss in that ever expanding pot of Big Ten Network gold and then you might find the necessary critical mass to get that 8K hockey specific arena built.

The first step in that scenario is this coaching hire, which is why I just can't fathom rushing out and pulling a quick trigger for any assistant whether at Miami of Ohio or anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
      What makes you think OSU could sell out 17,500 even if they were good. No college team does that. Maybe North Dakota could, occasionally. Maybe Wisconsin. But who else? So expecting that is nuts.

How do we know they haven't funded hockey? Maybe they are - and Markell simply didn't do a good job. But I don't expect any coach, even if it's Jack Parker, George Gwozdecky, Rico Blasi, or Scotty Bowman to automatically turn OSU into a dominant national power that sells out 17,500. I don't care how much money they pump in and pay.

So for any of those big name college coaches to go there, they would have to be convinced that doing so would make them better off than where they are. And how much better off do Blasi or Gwoz need to be than where they are now? So OSU pays them $2 million/year? OK, maybe that would entice someone - but it won't make those guys' situations any better hockey wise. So why bother?

You can make almost any school a powerhouse in any sport if you invest enough money into it. When you look at the schools that win in D-I hockey, there is usually a strong instutional committment to the game and a multi-million investment in coaches, facilities, TV, etc. The winners in the arms race are among the winners on the ice, year after year. This goes for football, hoops and any other sport. With big money invested, you can get the best coaches and assistants, you can buy media and promotion, and you can build jaw-dropping facilities that will bring in top players. Over time, the investment pays off and you build a tradition that becomes self-perpetuating. Stop or slow the investment, and the program declines.

My own school, Denver, has been a national power when the insitutional investment in the program was/is high, and a mediocre-to-worse program when the investment was low.

Columbus has a small hockey culture now, but a huge emotional investment in OSU. I think OSU, like Notre Dame, is a potential giant in the sport if the school would spend the money. Right now, Buckeye Hockey is a low visibility entity with the same 6,000 fans, but they've drawn big crowds for big teams. If OSU were to really invest in marketing and promoting hockey, getting them on TV and invest in top notch coaches, they could be a dominant program.
      Last edited by Puck Swami; 03-16-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
        I actually agree with Scooby on this one. We'll never sell out the Schott with the exception of the occasional big series with Michigan or Sparty.

What we can do is bring in the type of coach who can build a program where attendance is consistently averaging in the 8-9 thousand range, which isn't too far from reality since we were still averaging close to 5K after the program's collapse in 2005. If we can get attendance up to that point on a consistent basis, we've paid down the athletic department's current debt load from previous construction projects and we have a coach we want (NEED) to keep, toss in that ever expanding pot of Big Ten Network gold and then you might find the necessary critical mass to get that 8K hockey specific arena built.

The first step in that scenario is this coaching hire, which is why I just can't fathom rushing out and pulling a quick trigger for any assistant whether at Miami of Ohio or anywhere else.
        THEY won't pull the quick trigger. They'll do their homework. I'm just saying that getting Blasi or anyone else like that, is a pipe dream. That's my contention with what you're saying. And I think you're over-valuing the worth of "BTHC" - which I think is meaningless to a current big-name college hockey coach.

But Sterling - do you have information that the plan is to build a smaller hockey building? Where was it stated that this is their goal? Is it rumblings - or is this just hope on your part? ... And why would they do that when they poured all that money into the Schott? What happens with the Schott then?

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          You can make almost any school a powerhouse in any sport if you invest enough money into it. When you look at the schools that win in D-I hockey, there is usually a strong instutional committment to the game and a multi-million investment in coaches, facilities, TV, etc. The winners in the arms race are among the winners on the ice, year after year. This goes for football, hoops and any other sport. With big money invested, you can get the best coaches and assistants, you can buy media and promotion, and you can build jaw-dropping facilities that will bring in top players. Over time, the investment pays off and you build a tradition that becomes self-perpetuating. Stop or slow the investment, and the program declines.
          I agree, of course - I'm just saying, what evidence are we pointing to that suggests OSU isn't already putting a lot of resources in? Perhaps its mediocrity was because of its coach, not lack of resources.

Comment

I agree, of course - I'm just saying, what evidence are we pointing to that suggests OSU isn't already putting a lot of resources in? Perhaps its mediocrity was because of its coach, not lack of resources.
            There are a number of financial clues that tell me OSU isn't as serious about hockey as they could be.

1) If OSU really cared more about hockey, it wouldn't be renting out its own building during hockey playoffs or when high profile opponents come to town and forcing the Bucks to play elsewhere.

2) It would also be a program we'd see on TV more. TV game can be purchased by those schools wishing to improve exposure. Denver is one team that buys some of its TV games each year from FSN. OSU could buy more games.

3) I've been to Columbus, and the marketing presense of Buckeye Hockey is pretty low. They also could do much more to get students into their barn than they do now.

Add it all up, and you can surmise that Buckeye Hockey is seen as nice afterthought, but not really a strategic asset...

Comment

But Sterling - do you have information that the plan is to build a smaller hockey building? Where was it stated that this is their goal? Is it rumblings - or is this just hope on your part? ... And why would they do that when they poured all that money into the Schott? What happens with the Schott then?
              Moving men's hockey into its own facility doesn't change the Schott a bit. If you think about it, hockey is fourth on the raison d'etre list for building the Schott after men's basketball, women's basketball and providing a concert/entertainment venue for campus.

The only thing that I've heard from within the athletic department is that there is an acknowledgement that the Schott didn't provide the hockey program with the hoped for attendance boost or recruiting advantage that was originally envisioned and that--given a lower debt load, better economic climate and program worthy of the investment--a hockey facility would be considered. Gordon Gee doesn't think small. That being said, it's years from fruition. While you're right that any proposed BTHC is pretty much meaningless at this point, the Big Ten Network's increasing interest in hockey and growing pot of gold that it's pumping into B10 schools is quite relevant in the here and now.

At the end of the day, I don't believe that we can lure Blasi to Ohio State, but I want Ohio State to think big with this hire. If we get turned down, so be it. It's not an embarrassment to get turned down by a guy who has a hot program and doesn't want to leave his alma mater for an in-state rival. I just want Ohio State to swing for the fences, and contacting Blasi would be a good place to start.

Comment

I know the Athletic Department told the hockey program that when the contract with the State High School Wrestling contract was up after next year the situation with them having to play that first round playoff series in the Ice Rink would be resolved. I have also been told blue prints are out there for a hockey only facility where the Jack Nicholas Museum sits. It would seat 6-7K.

Comment

I certainly agree with the fans on here that are saying we are not getting Enrico Blasi. We are definitely not going to lure Enrico up here. However, I don't quite agree with the implied notion by some here that we're some ****-ant program that should settle for someone else's assistant. I don't think I am being arrogant saying this, but we have made some NCAA Tournament appearances this decade, so I think we're a little past the point of hiring an assistant and letting him get his feet wet with his first head coaching job. I don't want someone learning on the job. I want someone who is going to hit the ground running. As for a hockey-only facility, nothing is written in stone yet, but I have heard from a number of persons that a study is being done on that. If we are going to get to the next level, we need to take the plunge and get that built. I'll buy a brick when they do. A new coach may demand a hockey-only facility. And, as has been alluded to here, I've gotten weary of seeing our team get kicked out of its own facility for state wrestling when we are hosting a first round series. I'm just happy that Gene Smith had the courage to make this necessary coaching change. However, and we've all had this discussion, if the university doesn't make a legitimate committment to hockey, we'll get the same results we are getting now, regardless of who is brought in.
                  Last edited by osualum86; 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                    I certainly agree with the fans on here that are saying we are not getting Enrico Blasi. We are definitely not going to lure Enrico up here. However, I don't quite agree with the implied notion by some here that we're some ****-ant program that should settle for someone else's assistant.
                    I agree entirely. I think some at little brother are just a little too smitten with and emotionally invested in the notion that we would have to settle for one of their assistants when making a head coaching hire that it's clouded their judgement. I'll say it again. Miami of Ohio hires Ohio State assistant coaches to be head coaches, not the other way around.

And for the Miamite who so eloquently stated, "your an idiot" in my negative rep, it's always best to nail down that pesky grammar when knocking someone else's intelligence.
                    Last edited by Sterling Cooper; 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Coach Blasi's "nice little five year run" is more like a nice little eight year run. Since Blasi has had his (and Bergeron, Blashill, and Brekke's) own players, he is 191-99-33 with a program that had only flashes of success before his arrival. Based on that evidence, IMO OSU would be crazy not to contact him. Why not? I also think OSU would be lucky to get any of the last three Miami assistants, and in five or ten years, if I live that long, I'll be back being an I told you so.

By the way, I think some had questions whether Miami would maintain after the Jones and Davis class (and two early departures that year). So far, so good. And don't underestimate Miami compensation packages. There is more there than meets the eye. This AD is big on incentives in contracts, and has the luxury of having to pay them all to one sport.

Comment

I agree entirely. I think some at little brother are just a little too smitten with and emotionally invested in the notion that we would have to settle for one of their assistants when making a head coaching hire that it's clouded their judgement. I'll say it again. Miami of Ohio hires Ohio State assistant coaches to be head coaches, not the other way around.

And for the Miamite who so eloquently stated, "your an idiot" in my negative rep, it's always best to nail down that pesky grammar when knocking someone else's intelligence.
                        It is extraordinarily ignorant for you to make a statement in regards to "settling" for assistants from another college or university. There are only 58 of these jobs in the country which make it an extremely small fraternity. Many of the coaches have had long tenures as firings aren't as frequent as in other sports. Due to a lack of movement, most of the head coaches in the upper echelon jobs are older. The assistant coaches at most of these institutions are brilliant, perhaps better coaches than their bosses, and are just waiting for an opportunity to get their shot. To say that taking an assistant as a head coach is somehow insulting is absurd and reckless. Every head coach paid his dues as an assistant or as a head coach at a lower level (excluding the odd exception where a former pro lands a job instantly). The fact that you are able to articulate your ideas eloquently (most likely from the tremendous education you received from THE Ohio State University) doesn't cloud the fact that your comments are idiotic and ignorant.
                        Last edited by hockeyjunkie10; 03-16-2010, 04:28 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

So if you don't hire someone else's assistant, who are the successful head coaches that are either currently available or would look to move to Ohio State?
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I agree entirely. I think some at little brother are just a little too smitten with and emotionally invested in the notion that we would have to settle for one of their assistants when making a head coaching hire that it's clouded their judgement. I'll say it again. Miami of Ohio hires Ohio State assistant coaches to be head coaches, not the other way around..
                            I'm in my third decade of OSU hockey (and will start the fourth decade next season) and I've seen what good coaching and a good building have done at Miami. That program is no fluke. It is solid, well run, well supported by the administration and fans - all things OSU should strive for.

Face the facts - at this point in time the Miami program is superior to OSU's. Not considering one of the assistant coaches who helped build that program is just plain foolish. If you stab me I bleed scarlet and gray, but make no mistake - I admire what Miami has done with their program. They worked hard at this and I would like to see the next OSU coach work just as hard and hopefully have the same kind of success.

Get over the "ego" thing. Hire the best person you can find to build the program (unless they're from Michigan ). If the best person is from Miami then hire that person.

Comment

To the above two posters, I don't think I disagree to that great a degree. The lack of lateral movement among D1 hockey coaches is also a good point to be considered.

Remember, that this whole issue came about when Miami of Ohio posters were implying that our AD had possibly already pulled the trigger on contacting one of their assistants before Markell had even been fired, making that the most ignorant statement of the day and that Ohio State had NOTHING that Blasi could possibly be interested in. I understand that hockey is the only thing they have over us and how that could lead emotions to cloud judgement, but they shouldn't make idiotic and unfounded comments about our coaching search.

My ultimate contention is that, if Ohio State is truly serious about conducting the thorough and national search that the press release stated, the AD has the resources--financial and otherwise--to at least make a couple of initial "swing for the fence" offers. Whether those offers go to Blasi or someone of similar stature, I don't know. I just expect it to be done before checking off and moving down to our next option.

Look, I know that Ohio State isn't a so-called destination job. After the last five years, that has been indelibly burned into my brain, but don't underestimate the lure to an established coach of the assets Ohio State does have up to and including the resources to throw lifetime financial security on the table for someone who comes into this job and takes it to the level that is hopefully expected by the AD.
                              Last edited by Sterling Cooper; 03-16-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

...little brother...
                                Well, another for the "ignore poster" list. I find that anyone who refers to another institution in their state as "little brother" (and here I am, ignorant enough to think that was limited to Michigan) or MSU as "Sparty" (as you did earlier) has virtually nothing worth reading in his/hers/its posts. There are enough OSU fans and Michigan fans who do post that are intelligent and articulate and offer something of substance worth reading that your irrelevance will matter not a whit. You sound like so many other fans of certain teams who somehow feel that their affiliation with said teams somehow make them better, more attractive, smarter, or more well endowed. Guess what. Your beloved Ohio State Buckeyes don't even know you exist. They're luckier than us, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X