Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Originally posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
    I also heard George's name as one of the guys being interviewed this week. Anyone know why he would leave Denver? I did a search on his salary and found this article, he was trying to re-negotiate his contract in February, but couldn't find anything after that. http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_14386696 Is OSU prepared to pay the money to get him? I would think if they are bringing him in for an interview, they have to know his salary. Are there any Denver fans that have insight on this?
    I would guess he's using the interview at OSU for leverage and he will sign a revised contract with Denver at $300K+. Unlike at OSU, hockey is king at DU and they will want to keep it that way. Don't get me wrong - I think he would be a fine choice for the Buckeyes but I have serious doubts it will come to pass.
    Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckDoctor View Post
      I'm not sure Pooley should be named Head Coach...but should he have gotten an interview...Would Archie Griffin have gotten an interview for Football? Would Jack Nicholas have gotten an interview for Golf? Would any accomplished athlete in their field have gotten an interview? Pooley is the most accomplished player in Hockey in OSU history...he wasn't granted an interview. The people whom they are interviewing have no head coaching experience...except for the Denver Coach...This is a set up... IMO Markell lost his job a long time ago and they are just running through the motions with this interview process. You can't put a successful D1 head coach up against a bunch of young inexperienced assistants and think there will be a legitimate hiring process. Fortunately for OSU, George will probably do a good job. Pooley did a good job with what he was working with at Providence, he also did a great job with Jackson at Lake State and is going a good job at Notre Dame. He's one of ours and to not interview him or even Dave Smith out of respect when you consider who they are interviewing is a kick in the pants. But then, maybe Casey Jones will surprise us all and become head coach. Frankly, I'm so fed up with OSU Hockey and how they treat their alumni, I am growing more and more apathetic every day.
      So who have they interviewed and scheduled for interviews? What kind of sources do you have?
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
        I would guess he's using the interview at OSU for leverage and he will sign a revised contract with Denver at $300K+. Unlike at OSU, hockey is king at DU and they will want to keep it that way. Don't get me wrong - I think he would be a fine choice for the Buckeyes but I have serious doubts it will come to pass.
        Count me as shocked.

I doubt he needs the leverage. Maybe he wants the challenge and sees OSU as a sleeping giant. Perhaps he wants to hand over the DU program to Steve Miller.

That being said, he must realize what a tremendous task it would be to rebuild OSU hockey. When DU played OSU this year they drew something like 1,000 fans for a two game series. Of course rebuilding OSU would be far easier and quicker than the enormous task he had when he arrived at DU.

DU also has its best recruiting class ever coming in.
        Last edited by dggoddard; 04-19-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
          Does anyone know who actually sat for interviews? Does the newspaper in Columbus cover college hockey?
          The Dispatch covers college hockey in a similar fashion that thong underwear covers .... Well you get the idea.

Comment

I'm not sure Pooley should be named Head Coach...but should he have gotten an interview...
            I read that Pooley runs the Power Play and Penalty Kill at Notre Dame...both of which have seen awards. The grass isn't always greener on the other side...we have a winner in our own backyard...we need a winner. We need Paul Pooley.
            Sorry - seems like a change in opinion to me.

I agree he should have gotten an interview, if he hasn't, or if he is not scheduled to get one... which no one on here seems to know about except you. You are either way too inside to be speculating or just making a whole bunch of assumptions. Care to enlighten?
            OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

Gwozdecky is just helping OSU with the search.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...hio-state-job/
              Last edited by dggoddard; 04-19-2010, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                Gwozdecky is just helping OSU with the search.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...hio-state-job/
                Thanks for the insight. Its nice that some newspaper is covering OSU! Also, very encouraging that they are looking for help from a hockey guy rather than just basing the decision on resumes and interviews.
                OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

My source is 10 TV news Wall to Wall coverage. They named the candidates the other night...I think it was Saturday night after they covered a boxing match, OSU football and the Blue Jackets. It might be available on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by busboy View Post
                    Thanks for the insight. Its nice that some newspaper is covering OSU! Also, very encouraging that they are looking for help from a hockey guy rather than just basing the decision on resumes and interviews.

I agree (on all your points). It sure will be interesting to see who ends up at the helm...

Comment

Wow, call me surprised...Do we believe the Newspaper or the TV station?

Comment

Wow, call me surprised...Do we believe the Newspaper or the TV station?
                        Frankly, given the almost total lack of coverage of hockey in the Columbus area by both print and broadcast media (not to mention the exceptionally poor depth and quality of what little there is) , I am more inclined to believe Gwoz's home town paper than a local TV outlet here in C'bus. Western invited several head coaches to Kalamazoo to consult on their opening. Not so surprising (and rather encouraging) to hear tOSU is doing the same, though I had hoped he was a bona fide candidate...

Comment

Mike Chambers of the Denver Post exclusively covers the DU hockey team. If he says he called Gwoz and got that answer, I would put 100% faith in his report. Since Gwoz has coached at DU he has turned down both the Michigan State and Wisconsin head coaching jobs, slightly more prestigious jobs than the OSU job. I highly doubt he could be enticed to take the OSU job. If Gwoz ever makes a move from DU, I would speculate it would be to the NHL where he would minimally be paid at least $1 million a year. He is likely to sign a renegotiation and extension at DU soon for well north of $300,000 per year (probably close to $350,000) and with his hockey camp and other outside contracts he will be making at least half a million at DU. He is the big dog at DU and is not in the shadow of any other teams.
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

My source is 10 TV news Wall to Wall coverage. They named the candidates the other night...I think it was Saturday night after they covered a boxing match, OSU football and the Blue Jackets. It might be available on their website.
                            So did Wall to Wall actually state that those candidates had been interviewed, were scheduled for interviews or were they merely speculating on who might be in the mix, just like those on this board? Who were the other candidates they mentioned?

As for believing the newspaper or TV, having been around college hockey a long time, and being quite familiar with its media, I'll definitely take the work of Mike Chambers at face value.

Although the 10TV story wasnt available online, my guess is that it was speculative, much like the stories of who they think the Browns or Bengals might take in the first round, if they actually got the interview list from the athletic department, they are the only media outlet of any form to actually see it.
                            Last edited by davyd83; 04-19-2010, 07:59 PM.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                              Since Gwoz has coached at DU he has turned down both the Michigan State and Wisconsin head coaching jobs, slightly more prestigious jobs than the OSU job.
                              Just slightly?
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Wall to Wall Sports named Osiecki, Jones, Pooley, Gwozdecky and Cav. They didn't say anything about interviews, they just stated they were the five candidates. If they are the five finalists, OSU missed the boat on several good ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X