Ohio State Next Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Please leave Leaman alone! He has been incredible for this Union program and I'd really hate to see him go.
    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
      That is good to hear about Cav. I do wonder how being from the east would translate into the CCHA as far as recruiting goes, that would be my main concern. It's been tried before and was not successful. I wonder if there are any surprise candidates that we have not heard about. OSU in the past has been known for that.
      You can be certain that there are a couple names in the mix that haven't shown up here.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

You can be sure that Wall to Wall mentioned names that aren't even going to be interviewed...and from the group that is left over...there is quite a disparity in experience and success....hmmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by PuckDoctor View Post
          Not sure what you mean by recruiting players that couldn't get into any other school...Notre Dame has pretty high academic standards and haven't done too bad in the playoff department...Notre Dame is now on the map...not just in football, but also in Hockey. I think I heard they are now building a new arena dedicated to hockey...something our buckeyes haven't seen accomplished...they aren't even allowed to play their tournaments in the Schott...but don't get me started. When Pooley was at Providence he was Hockey East Coach of the Year, New England Coach of the Year, a Spencer Penrose Award Finalist more than once...all one has to do with any of these guys is google their name and you get all the info you need. He knows hockey as a player and as a coach...what other player was as decorated at OSU? Is Tim Army successful AT ALL at Providence...I'm not sure but I think Pooley somehow made lemons out of lemonade while he was there... He and Jackson have seen much success at Lake State and at Notre Dame. He has had to have learned a ton from Jackson. I read that Pooley runs the Power Play and Penalty Kill at Notre Dame...both of which have seen awards. The grass isn't always greener on the other side...we have a winner in our own backyard...we need a winner. We need Paul Pooley.
          I was talking about LSSU - back in the day they got "students" in that nobody else would touch. More power to him if he could do that. However, we are talking about a head coaching position, not an assistant job. He might be a good recruiter to JJ's teams but this won't be his job at OSU. If you want to evaluate him as a head coach you need to look at his time as a leader of a program and not riding along on Jackson's game.

Paul Pooley
          11 seasons as head coach at Providence
          185 wins - average of 16.8 per season
          185 losses - average of 16.8 per season
          40 ties - average of 3.6 per season
          .500 win percentage
          27% seasons were 20 win seasons
          1 conference title, 2 NCAA tourneys

John Markell
          15 seasons as head coach at OSU
          263 wins - average of 18.5 per season
          259 losses - average of 17.3 per season
          56 ties - average of 3.7 per season
          .520 win percentage
          47% of seasons were 20 win seasons
          1 conference title, 6 NCAA tourneys, 1 Frozen Four

3 of the awards you mentioned for Pooley came from the same season - 2001. Markell also won CCHA coach of the year and was a finalist as well in his career. My point is that us being happy with Pooley would be the same as another school being thrilled with hiring Markell.

Paul Pooley was a great OSU player 30 years ago - he's now 50 years old. If OSU wants to hire an assistant coach they should at least go for a young high-potential up and comer. There's a reason nobody else is banging down Pooley's door - we shouldn't either just because he played here.
          OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

I predict OSU won't hire an assistant coach. I don't think you can compare Pooley and Markell...I also don't think you can compare Providence and it's resources to that of OSU and its resources...that would be like comparing Bowling Green to Michigan. I think it says a lot about a University when they don't at least consider their own. Pooley and Smith won't get an interview at OSU and Markell didn't get an interview at Bowling Green. I don't think either Markell or Pooley is all washed up because they are "50". What you need to post is what Tim Army has done with Providence since he took over...they are looking for their 100th loss in just a few short years and the most consecutive losses in the history of the program...that will shed some light on Pooley and his abilities and what he did for that program.

Comment

I didn't see Wall to Wall to hear who they mentioned, does anyone have those names?

Comment

Originally posted by busboy View Post
                I was talking about LSSU - back in the day they got "students" in that nobody else would touch. More power to him if he could do that. However, we are talking about a head coaching position, not an assistant job. He might be a good recruiter to JJ's teams but this won't be his job at OSU. If you want to evaluate him as a head coach you need to look at his time as a leader of a program and not riding along on Jackson's game.

Paul Pooley
                11 seasons as head coach at Providence
                185 wins - average of 16.8 per season
                185 losses - average of 16.8 per season
                40 ties - average of 3.6 per season
                .500 win percentage
                27% seasons were 20 win seasons
                1 conference title, 2 NCAA tourneys

John Markell
                15 seasons as head coach at OSU
                263 wins - average of 18.5 per season
                259 losses - average of 17.3 per season
                56 ties - average of 3.7 per season
                .520 win percentage
                47% of seasons were 20 win seasons
                1 conference title, 6 NCAA tourneys, 1 Frozen Four

3 of the awards you mentioned for Pooley came from the same season - 2001. Markell also won CCHA coach of the year and was a finalist as well in his career. My point is that us being happy with Pooley would be the same as another school being thrilled with hiring Markell.

Paul Pooley was a great OSU player 30 years ago - he's now 50 years old. If OSU wants to hire an assistant coach they should at least go for a young high-potential up and comer. There's a reason nobody else is banging down Pooley's door - we shouldn't either just because he played here.
                Great analysis BB. I think the most important comment is contained in your opening statement about the fact that recruiting will not be his job at OSU. I also think that is the biggest argument to keep Brent on staff with the new coach.

Comment

Markell didn't get an interview at Bowling Green.
                  Wrong Markell was 1 of 3 finalist for that job along with Dennis Williams.

Comment

I predict OSU won't hire an assistant coach. I don't think you can compare Pooley and Markell...I also don't think you can compare Providence and it's resources to that of OSU and its resources...that would be like comparing Bowling Green to Michigan. I think it says a lot about a University when they don't at least consider their own. Pooley and Smith won't get an interview at OSU and Markell didn't get an interview at Bowling Green. I don't think either Markell or Pooley is all washed up because they are "50". What you need to post is what Tim Army has done with Providence since he took over...they are looking for their 100th loss in just a few short years and the most consecutive losses in the history of the program...that will shed some light on Pooley and his abilities and what he did for that program.
                    ...or you could look at the coach prior at each school...

Mike McShane Providence (9 seasons prior to Pooley)
                    151-153-25
                    49.7% win percentage

Paul Pooley
                    185-185-40
                    50% win percentage

---------------------------------------------------
                    Jerry Welsh OSU (9 seasons prior to John Markell)
                    81-225-35
                    28.9% win percentage

John Markell
                    263-259-56
                    52% win percentage

Now I'm no statistical genius but I tip my hat to Markell on his improvement over his predecessor vs Pooley's elevation of Providence.

On the resource front, there have been plenty of "lower resource" schools that have performed admirably throughout the years - most notably Miami of late. Providence has a much deeper hockey tradition and stronger local hockey base than OSU as well.

I'm only comparing Markell and Pooley to illustrate the point that his resume as head coach is just not impressive if you conceed that OSU needed to drop Markell. I just can't see why we would go after Pooley other than the fact that he played here. If you take that off the resume, I don't think you would want him either.

If you are banking on the chance that he has been a good assistant and hope that more time under Jackson has taught him how to be a better coach, I think you are taking a big chance.
                    OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

Sorry, what was Tim Army's percentage? I didn't see that? Also, Markell didn't get an interview at Bowling Green...least thats what I heard...just a phone interview...no invite to the alma mater.

Comment

Sorry, what was Tim Army's percentage? I didn't see that?
                        Well, if you really know, Army's record currently stands at 58-98-20.

Which proves....what? That Pooley was a better coach at PC than Army is today? Probably so. But does that make it a ringing endorsement for Pooley getting the OSU job? No.

Ironically enough, Army is also a PC alum.

Comment

Does anyone know who actually sat for interviews? Does the newspaper in Columbus cover college hockey?
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I'm not sure Pooley should be named Head Coach...but should he have gotten an interview...Would Archie Griffin have gotten an interview for Football? Would Jack Nicholas have gotten an interview for Golf? Would any accomplished athlete in their field have gotten an interview? Pooley is the most accomplished player in Hockey in OSU history...he wasn't granted an interview. The people whom they are interviewing have no head coaching experience...except for the Denver Coach...This is a set up... IMO Markell lost his job a long time ago and they are just running through the motions with this interview process. You can't put a successful D1 head coach up against a bunch of young inexperienced assistants and think there will be a legitimate hiring process. Fortunately for OSU, George will probably do a good job. Pooley did a good job with what he was working with at Providence, he also did a great job with Jackson at Lake State and is going a good job at Notre Dame. He's one of ours and to not interview him or even Dave Smith out of respect when you consider who they are interviewing is a kick in the pants. But then, maybe Casey Jones will surprise us all and become head coach. Frankly, I'm so fed up with OSU Hockey and how they treat their alumni, I am growing more and more apathetic every day.

Comment

The people whom they are interviewing have no head coaching experience...except for the Denver Coach...Fortunately for OSU, George will probably do a good job.
                              Are you saying George Gwozdecky is one of the finalists? Seriously, why he would he leave DU?

Comment

I also heard George's name as one of the guys being interviewed this week. Anyone know why he would leave Denver? I did a search on his salary and found this article, he was trying to re-negotiate his contract in February, but couldn't find anything after that. http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_14386696 Is OSU prepared to pay the money to get him? I would think if they are bringing him in for an interview, they have to know his salary. Are there any Denver fans that have insight on this?

Comment

Working...
                                X