Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Next Coach?

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    How do you know that Bergeron hadn't been vetted? That he hadn't talked to or interviewed for the OSU job? The bottom line is the Bowling Green job was offered now. If he tells BG, "Could you give me a couple weeks to see if OSU offers me the job," he runs a pretty big risk of ending up with neither job. He would have to be 100% certain that the OSU job would be his in order to take that kind of risk. You also make an assumption that he would get a match of Markell's salary coming in. That's a bit of a stretch as well. Are you sure that OSU would pay the same for an assistant with no NCAA D-I head coaching experience the same amount they were paying a coach after 12 years?
    A couple of good questions. With regards to the first, Ohio State's legally mandated hiring processes require a certain period before they can go out and contact someone who didn't "apply." Personally, I can't see the decision being made until that latter process plays out.

Second question is more interesting. I think I speak for most Ohio State fans/alums here in that we want Gene Smith to swing for the fences on this one. If he's floating a salary that's equal to Markell's ending salary, much less below it, I think most Ohio State hockey fans would take that as the kiss of death--that the AD does not give a rat's arse about the hockey program. That scenario is rather hard to believe since, according to all published accounts, we're pushing harder for a BTHC than the other four schools. Wouldn't make any sense in that context if we're not willing to invest in our own program.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
      A couple of good questions. With regards to the first, Ohio State's legally mandated hiring processes require a certain period before they can go out and contact someone who didn't "apply." Personally, I can't see the decision being made until that latter process plays out.

Second question is more interesting. I think I speak for most Ohio State fans/alums here in that we want Gene Smith to swing for the fences on this one. If he's floating a salary that's equal to Markell's ending salary, much less below it, I think most Ohio State hockey fans would take that as the kiss of death--that the AD does not give a rat's arse about the hockey program. That scenario is rather hard to believe since, according to all published accounts, we're pushing harder for a BTHC than the other four schools. Wouldn't make any sense in that context if we're not willing to invest in our own program.
      I see your point. However, I believe the salary level would be commensurate with the resume of the candidate. While a candidate like a Bergeron or Blashill may draw one type of offer, a coach such as Leaman or Sneddon may draw a higher figure, while a coach like Blasi would be at a different level altogether.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
        Is that another reference to having to eat so many of those hot dogs?
        And how would that sound on 'auto tune the news' on youtube.com?
        Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
          Steve is from Penticton BC and is a key player in recruiting that area. OSU has a lot of BC kids.

Dalpe played for Penticton and there's another kid coming in next year from there, as well as one from Vernon. Hunter Bishop played in that league, as did Devon Krogh. Rod Pelley and Mathieu Beaudoin are two others. Brent was involved with all of them.
          I think you are mistaken with Brent having anything to do with Dalpe and Krough, that recruiting had to be Casey as Brent wasn't with the team during the time frame prior to them committing to OSU and when they signed. I think Brent and Bitner are good coaches but this team needs a fresh start with the coaching staff. I do not see a new coach keeping them on. I understand the former Buckeye thing but I think they are painted with the brush of having been part of Markell's staff. We have heard(read) the complaints all the way back to 2005 on here, the almost revolt in 2005, the suspicion that games were lost on purpose to get rid of JM and last year I witnessed a very selfish team that rarely played for the name on the front of the sweater.

Comment

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
            I think you are mistaken with Brent having anything to do with Dalpe and Krough, that recruiting had to be Casey as Brent wasn't with the team during the time frame prior to them committing to OSU and when they signed. I think Brent and Bitner are good coaches but this team needs a fresh start with the coaching staff. I do not see a new coach keeping them on. I understand the former Buckeye thing but I think they are painted with the brush of having been part of Markell's staff. We have heard(read) the complaints all the way back to 2005 on here, the almost revolt in 2005, the suspicion that games were lost on purpose to get rid of JM and last year I witnessed a very selfish team that rarely played for the name on the front of the sweater.
            My comment was that Steve stayed involved thorough his friends and a lot of the OSU kids ended up playing in his old home area for those same friends. I believe Casey was already at Cornell when Krough committed to OSU.

Comment

I'd say OSU may not be adament on the previous experience part if they are impressed with a candidate's other qualifications. They are trying to cover the bases on a new coach not violating any NCAA regs but that is what your staff is for too. Your assistant coach could be the walking encyclopedia on the regs which would be all you need. Just like Casey did all the recruiting for Markell and regs can be learned.

Comment

If Guy Gadowsky wants to be their bench boss, they would be a fool not to hire him!
                Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

One unseen problem with a turnover of the head coach. Just because you get a new coach does not mean you get a BETTER coach. Hire Casey Jones and and in two years we all will be talking about the the good old days under John Markell.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Wrister View Post
                    One unseen problem with a turnover of the head coach. Just because you get a new coach does not mean you get a BETTER coach. Hire Casey Jones and and in two years we all will be talking about the the good old days under John Markell.
                    Just curious but tell us why you think Casey would be worse than Markell if chosen?
                    “You know what we were doing? We were on the phone calling Jon Corzine — literally. I literally picked up the phone and called Jon Corzine, and said, ‘Jon, what do you think we should do?'" ~Joe Biden~

Comment

Paul Pooley For Head Coach...that's Who!

Comment

I believe that Ron Rolston, head coach at the US NTDP, is under consideration at OSU. I don't know how interested they are in him, but his name is in the hat. However, i believe that OSU's first choices season must be still going on and waiting to talk to him. That has to be the only excuse for how long this process has dragged on. Two schools have already filled their coaching vacancies with two highly qualified individuals who would be great fits at OSU. I would be surprised if they didnt go after a big named NHL assistant like Tony Granato or Joe Mullen.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckDoctor View Post
                          Paul Pooley For Head Coach...that's Who!
                          Just because you get a new coach does not mean you have a better coach Hire Paul Pooley and in two years we will be talking about the good old days under Markell.

Comment

Originally posted by masquedman View Post
                            Just curious but tell us why you think Casey would be worse than Markell if chosen?
                            Paluch was a disaster, so was DelCastillo. I just think OSU deserves someone with a successful track record, not someone who has been an assistant. Tressell, Matta, Todd...all were successful coaches on a smaller stage prior to landing a job at OSU. The last time OSU promoted an assistant to head coach was Randy Ayers...huge mistake. Lammers was a successful head coach in DIII. Dave Smith is doing the job at Canisius. Jon (not John) Cooper top coach in the Jrs. Dallas Ferguson took over a total mess and made the NCAAs in two short years. I think any of the four should be on the OSU short list.
                            I think my way of thinking is the way to go, although I would have made an exception for Bergeron. On the fence about Hastings.
                            Lammers was offered a two year contract elsewhere, only reason he left.

Comment

I have been following this thread fora few months, but this is my first post. I think that Jones would be an excellent choice. I know a few of the former players, including a couple that are in the big league now, and have heard that when they were playing they had much more respect for Jones and he was a better coach than Markell and should have been the head coach back then. I guess rumor is Markell and Jones butted heads alot, but Jones had to bow to Markell because he was the head coach, understandably. I would like to see him get a chance. Pooley I think would be a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebron23 View Post
                                That has to be the only excuse for how long this process has dragged on.
                                Pretty sure I saw on the news that the first round of interviews had taken place this past week and a coach would be announced by April 24th. They have planned to take this long so who knows what they are really doing.

FYI: Wall to Wall Sports on channel 10 is supposed to have a piece on potential coaches for CBJ and OSU tomorrow night (Sat.) Should be interesting to see who they list as candiates and how accurate they actually are.
                                Last edited by OSUHockey09; 04-16-2010, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X